Walmart or Vons (Safeway)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:smuggrin: I too will show up. If I'm in town..

Members don't see this ad.

Im in town today and tomorrow. I will bring my camera.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will put money that Rxnupe completely flakes out...I have my paypal account ready to accept payment.

Back to the original topic, I work for Safeway and we do 150/day. I'll schedule 2 to 3 techs with some pharmacist overlap on Mondays when we do 200. I've never missed a labor target in a year. I interned at Walgreens and you seem to get a different kind of clientele at a supermarket pharmacy.Less rushed and rude. PDX does seem to allow a greater margin for error so we counsel all new/reassigned rx's. I spend a lot of time counting/packaging, but to switch it up I'll type for awhile or even God forbid run the register where I enjoy talking with our regulars and couseling at the sane time.

I know I make more than the local Walmart mgr plus I get OT pay. Anytime my partner goes on vacation I have the option to work all his hours at OT pay. It's simply cheaper than bringing in a floater. With OT I gross over $4000 week. I imagine I made more than a DOP for a mid size hospital last year.

No drive through...enough said.

Shots? We are one of the top flu shot providing outlets in the top division and to tell you the truth, after giving several thousand shots it certainly breaks up the monotony and allows some true interaction with the patients. During flu season we generally run with more pharmacist overlap as we earn considerably more labor from shots.

Downsides: PDX. We really need the safety of a scan based system with a unified patient database. Mystery shopper program: This program evaluated how you said hello and whether or not you pointed at an item. It was very unfair/arbitrary. However, as of effectively now, this program has been discontinued for pharmacy. However, there is always a push on doing more rx's/shots and a large portion of your annual bonus is predicated on this.

All in all, I think your people are the largest differentiating factor. Treat them well.

I know I make more than the local Walmart mgr plus I get OT pay. Anytime my partner goes on vacation I have the option to work all his hours at OT pay. It's simply cheaper than bringing in a floater. With OT I gross over $4000 week. I imagine I made more than a DOP for a mid size hospital last year.
How many hours/week do you work? I don't think I've heard of a retail pharmacist that made 200k gross income with only 1 job.

Kkellow,

You must in a market that is short-staffed. When I began working with the company in 2009, OT was abundant with the lack of floater help. As a floater at that point, I could safely average 10 hours of OT per week if I wanted. In today's market and in this region, we have so many floaters that they need volunteers to take vacation to give them hours. Sadly, some floaters are only getting 24 hours/week. One floater I know decided to take vacation time off because there were no hours for her. It must be great to have the option of working your partners hours for overtime. I wish we had that option here so I could pay down those student loans more quickly.

This gig isn't all that bad. It's noon time and we've done 30 prescriptions. Just waiting for the order to come, so we can be productive. Yet, when it gets crazy in here, it really gets crazy. I'll enjoy the lull in the action right now.

I could see Target, Rite Aid, and Albertsons/Sav-on, and Safeway all going away in 10 years.
Dang, this is right on.
Target is gone...Rite Aid is gone....Alberson bought Safeway....within 10 years of this post. What is next?

Which one would you choose and why? Which one provides more tech help? Is Vons/Safeway generally not that busy (around 100-150 rx/day)? Thanks for sharing your inputs!
I like both Vons/Safeway as both are providing good tech help. The services of both the supermarket store really attract me and to manage its employees and provide complete they both use the direct2hr employee login portal which makes their work easy. Using an online portal helps to create a good environment at Bons/Safeway.