WAMC 2026? Any advice welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amm22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m applying this cycle for the first time so any advice is appreciated!

22 y/o female, Ohio resident, traditional first-time applicant, taking a gap year after graduation this semester.
Applying to/ considering: Ohio, Iowa, Florida, NC State, Michigan, Mizzou, Mississippi

Cumulative GPA: 3.63
science GPA: 3.56
last 45: 3.84
Calculated with grades from 3 different schools, so hopefully this is pretty accurate

Any degrees achieved BS in Agriculture May 2021

GRE results: Q/V/W
n/a. Don’t want to take if I don’t have to and currently not planning on applying to anywhere that requires it

Veterinary Experience:
(4) Zoo vet shadowing
(30) Equine handling class, for credit
(30) Food animal handling class, for credit
(8) Exotic vet shadowing
(43) Small animal/exotics gp shadowing
(60) Zoo/wildlife vet in South Africa
(1136) Small animal gp vet assistant

Animal Experience:
(400) Dog Daycare kennel assistant
(3500) Vet Clinic 1 kennel assistant
(225) Pachyderm intern
(70) Work at school’s food animal farm, for credit
(60) Zoo/exotic animal husbandry in South Africa
(487) Vet Clinic 2 kennel assistant
(164) Vet Clinic kennel as needed (also clinic where I am a vet assistant)
(17) Wildlife Center volunteer
(17) Equine Production class, for credit
(196) Calf Feeder at school’s dairy farm
(6) Dairy Production class, for credit
(20) Beef Production class, for credit

Upcoming:
Full-time summer internship at an AZA zoo doing wildlife rehab
Full-time fall internship at exotic animal rescue

Research Experience:
None :(
I have some “informal” research that I’ve done during my time as a zoo intern to help determine activity and habitat use of the animals in order to help improve their care.

Awards/scholarships:
Academic Scholarship based on grades and act score
Scholarship Competition Award
NTPA Scholarship
CFAES Scholarship
Dean’s List 5 semesters
BQA Certified

Extracurriculars:
Pre-vet Club (4 yrs)
Block & Bridle (2 yrs)
Student Government (1 yr)
Pet sitting (300 hrs?)
Mission Trip Volunteer (60 hrs)
South Africa Study abroad volunteer (80 hrs)
Sandwich making for the homeless (5hrs)
Reading (786 books since 2016)
Yoga

Employment:
No non-animal employment

Looking for any advice on areas where I could improve! I would like to get some more large animal experience, but it’s difficult to find in my area. I’m also open to any suggestions on other schools that I could apply to or might be a good fit for. I’m open to taking the gre, but currently trying to stick to schools that don’t require it.
I also know that the chance of getting into NC State is basically 0, but my parents really want me to apply there and it is my least expensive option.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there! I'm going to applying in the same cycle as you and I have spoken to three veterinary schools for 1:1 reviews of my competitiveness as we all know this is gonna be a tough process for us all. Something all three of them said to me which really stuck out was my experience in work that had nothing to do with animals. They all seemed to really like that I had time not in the veterinary field so my best advice would be to maybe take up a small part time job this summer that has low flexible hours to seem more diverse as far as work experience goes. Otherwise your application honestly looks really good and I don't see a reason for you not to get in. Best of luck to ya!!

Hey there! I'm going to applying in the same cycle as you and I have spoken to three veterinary schools for 1:1 reviews of my competitiveness as we all know this is gonna be a tough process for us all. Something all three of them said to me which really stuck out was my experience in work that had nothing to do with animals. They all seemed to really like that I had time not in the veterinary field so my best advice would be to maybe take up a small part time job this summer that has low flexible hours to seem more diverse as far as work experience goes. Otherwise your application honestly looks really good and I don't see a reason for you not to get in. Best of luck to ya!!
Thank you! I'll definitely look into some things that I could do during my gap year! Best of luck to you as well