WAMC: 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA + Gap Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soul_of_Confusion

Reaction score
Thank you ahead of time! While my grades might be below average, my EC experience may (probably not) be a selling point. Interested in MD/DO and will be taking a Gap year. I am also talking with a Navy recruiter to hopefully do HPSP to help pay for medical school (and a few other reasons).

1. 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA
2. 508; CHE 128, CARS 128, BIO 128, Psych 124
3. Texas (resident)
4. Hispanic
5. Private University

6. Clinical Experience: EMT 1000+ hours 911 Ambulance work; Volunteer Firefighter/EMT ~500 hours
7. Research: Cancer Research lab. Semi-independent synthesis work for ADCs and antineoplastic molecules
8. Shadowing: Minimal shadowing due to COVID. Transplant Nephrologist for 25 hours.
9. Non-Clinical Volunteering: Fraternal organizations (Shriners & Freemasonry) and some school orgs. (minimal)

10. This might be my one selling point: I designed and run an EMS program that recruits EMTs from my university. We provide 911 coverage seven days a week during the school semester to a town in Texas. Prior to this, when calling 911, help could take up to an hour to arrive. Now the response time is cut back to a few minutes. This has been greatly beneficial to the community, and we respond to Fires, Vehicle wrecks, Strokes, Cardiac Arrests, to picking grandma off the floor. I am responsible for ~15 members and train incoming members. (1000+ hours)

11. No relevant honors.

12. I plan to take a gap year, but I am still not certain what to do during that time. I am in between three choices: Ambulance, Laboratory in city, or being hired at my Fire station as an employee.

Please let me know your thoughts on the best course of action regarding my Gap year / any general advice you may have.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're in Texas, find out about the other Texas schools since they are your best bet. You will be applying through TMDSAS so do whatever you can to learn more about the schools in your state and what support exists for students similar to you.

Reactions: 1 user
A big question here: do you have an upward trend, or not?

Members don't see this ad :)