MD & DO WAMC: 3.76 509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ooompalooompa

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA: 3.76
    • sGPA: ~3.6
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  3. 509 (128.124.130,127)
  4. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • NY and strong NJ ties
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • T100
  6. Ethnicity and/or race
    • Caucasian, ORM
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Lacking quite frankly, I am getting my EMT-B certification by January, plan on volunteering as much as possible before application
    • In the midst of getting involved in a few hospice opportunities
  8. Research experience and productivity
    • 1500 hours in undergraduate research
    • 3500 hours in post-bacc research
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 8 hours- derm
    • Expecting at least 50-100 hours by May.
  10. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Mentoring underserved HS students, building rapport, guiding through college applications- projected ~150 hours
    • Tutoring formally incarcerated- projected ~100 hours
  11. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Physics TA (~70 hours)
  12. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans list every semester of college
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. One publication in undergrad
    2. 2 maybe 3 publications in gap year
MD- Open to suggestions, a few big reaches (some ties to these big names), mostly looking to apply low-tier IS.
Albany
Buffalo
Quinnipiac
Rutgers, RWJ
Upstate
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Vermont
TCU Texas
Penn State
Rush
Penn State
Downstate
Temple
Geisinger
Arizona- Tucson
Drexel
Chicago Rosalind
Wayne State
Rutgers-Newark
Cooper
Cornell
Thomas Jefferson

DO- Open to any suggestions in the DO department
CHSU-COM
NYIT-COM
Rowan-Virtua SOM
TUCOM
WesternU/COMP

Cheers, thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Rush since they expect far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. Arizona and Geisinger admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. The Rutgers schools and Cooper are also unlikely with your stats and no NJ residency. Cornell is unrealistic. You could add these schools:
Hackensack
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
You could add these DO schools:
Touro-NY
LECOM
PCOM
CUSOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Rush since they expect far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. Arizona and Geisinger admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. The Rutgers schools and Cooper are also unlikely with your stats and no NJ residency. Cornell is unrealistic. You could add these schools:
Hackensack
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
You could add these DO schools:
Touro-NY
LECOM
PCOM
CUSOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
Thanks, I will adjust my list according. I will add an adjusted list soon.

When are you applying? With so few clinical experience hours, your app will likely get screened out. I presume next May.
Next May. I know my clinical experience is a problem. Getting my EMT-B certification this coming January. Working on going straight into volunteering EMS organization. Hoping to get 12 hours a week as soon as I start, continue through applications. Also starting hospice volunteering with direct patient contact very soon. Looking to get >200 hours EMT, >100 in hospice, by the end of May. What's your thoughts if executed?

Next May. I know my clinical experience is a problem. Getting my EMT-B certification this coming January. Working on going straight into volunteering EMS organization. Hoping to get 12 hours a week as soon as I start, continue through applications. Also starting hospice volunteering with direct patient contact very soon. Looking to get >200 hours EMT, >100 in hospice, by the end of May. What's your thoughts if executed?
You should have at least 50 hours of shadowing, including primary care; 150-300 hours minimum of clinical, patient-facing experience; and at least 150 hours of service orientation community service (food distribution, shelter work, job placement or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation). Serve a variety of underserved populations in your activities as best as you can. Research and tutoring should not be a high priority.

You should have at least 50 hours of shadowing, including primary care; 150-300 hours minimum of clinical, patient-facing experience; and at least 150 hours of service orientation community service (food distribution, shelter work, job placement or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation). Serve a variety of underserved populations in your activities as best as you can. Research and tutoring should not be a high priority.
I have no doubt I can meet these numbers before my application. I work with various underserved populations already (underserved HS students and formally incarcerated). I am not being paid to work as a tutor for formally incarcerated, that is a volunteering experience. I do tutor college student for extra $$ if I have time, and research is my FT job.

Tutoring incarcerated persons is an excellent example of volunteering with the umder-served.

Status
Not open for further replies.