WAMC 3.83 GPA, 510 MCAT / do I retake my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CamilleM

Reaction score
1. GPA 3.83, science GPA is about the same but need to check
2. MCAT: 510 (127/127/128/128)
3. OR Resident
4. On second gap year - just got a job coordinating medical care for housing/health care in Portland
5. Spent last year serving with the National Health Corps at a free clinic helping patients get free medicine, did some patient navigation/care coordination (1700 hours in clinic)
--- Non clinical: taught citizenship class weekly
6. Have about 20-30 hours of shadowing hoping to do more this coming year.
7. College: summer internships- one environmental public health (lab work), one in community public health. Volunteered in free clinic. Volunteered at church/food bank on breaks that I have worked with since high school.
8. One case study publication

I studied for the MCAT this past year while working full-time I got 505, 506 for AAMC FL 1 and 2, realized I needed more time to study, pushed my date back and spent a full 1.5 months studying after my job ended. Got 511 (sample) --> 513 --> 515 on the last two FL. I guess what I am trying to say is I felt reasonably confident coming into the test and had been consistently crushing CARS and P/S (129s, 130s and >80% on Qpack stuff) but then dropped those extra needed points on the actual test. CARS did NOT feel the same on the actual test so was a little thrown but p/s seemed decently representative so that sucks lol. I am not sure what to do... 510 doesn't seem like a great place to be but I know there is a risk of dropping points if I retake or if I go up by one or two points does it even matter? Honestly feeling pretty bummed because I felt like I did everything right, was increasing in score consistently and like idk where to go from here? Like is it worth retaking? Or should I focus on job/shadowing/apps for spring at this point?

Looking for advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake, focus on what you mentioned. Get your shadowing to 50+ hours. I suggest the following:

OHSU
Drexel
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
NYMC
Albany
George Washington
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Oakland
Creighton
Nova MD
Penn State
Hackensack
TCU
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Tufts
Wake
Vermont
MCW

Don't retake, focus on what you mentioned. Get your shadowing to 50+ hours. I suggest the following:

OHSU
Drexel
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
NYMC
Albany
George Washington
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Oakland
Creighton
Nova MD
Penn State
Hackensack
TCU
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Tufts
Wake
Vermont
MCW
Thank you for the advice and school list! Two follow up questions, how do you recommend spreading shadowing? Does it need to be in different fields, most of what I have now is primary care and ER. Also do I need to somehow get more research experience? Right now I have a summer of environmental research which was wet lab and field work, but do I need to try and get involved in clinical stuff (if even possible)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice and school list! Two follow up questions, how do you recommend spreading shadowing? Does it need to be in different fields, most of what I have now is primary care and ER. Also do I need to somehow get more research experience? Right now I have a summer of environmental research which was wet lab and field work, but do I need to try and get involved in clinical stuff (if even possible)?
Shadowing primary care is important. You could try shadowing an in-clinic speciality to have more exposure.

You don’t need more research, that is meant for the research powerhouse schools which usually have very high MCAT medians. Your chances seem good for OHSU as well as service-oriented schools such as the Jesuits.

Shadowing primary care is important. You could try shadowing an in-clinic speciality to have more exposure.

You don’t need more research, that is meant for the research powerhouse schools which usually have very high MCAT medians. Your chances seem good for OHSU as well as service-oriented schools such as the Jesuits.
Thank you! This was very helpful!