WAMC? Should I retake my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrogInaWell

Reaction score
Hi I'm a pre-med student in a gap year looking to apply to DO schools next cycle, my stats are as follows:

1. 3.5 cGPA
2. 504 MCAT (125/127/125/127)
3. Illinois Resident
4. South asian
5. Degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, and a minor in chemistry
6. Over 200+ hours scribing
7. 2 semesters spent doing psychology research (stopped because the type of research being done wasn't my interest)
8. worked as a chemistry undergrad TA for a year (both discussions and lab)
9. Held board positions in two clubs for 2 years
10. Deans list a few times, put on university list for TA's ranked excellent by their students

in the process of trying to figure out what to do during my gap year, if its worth retaking the mcat or focusing on getting a full time MA position. thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care and a DO) and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.). A 504 MCAT is competitive for most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your networking with Midwest DO schools. You should reach out to students at the schools who are part of SOMA or AMSA. See if any schools have APAMSA chapters.

We need more information about your year by year GPA if you need any academic boost. It doesn't appear you do, but it would help us to know.