WAMC/3.84 cGPA 3.81 sGPA & 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamooditired

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 3.84 cGPA / 3.81 sGPA / 3.86 AACOMAS ||| no postbacc/SMP
  2. MCAT 512
  3. CA resident
  4. Race: White (Arab)
  5. Undergrad: UC Berkeley
  6. Clinical Experience: (~600 hours) volunteered as a medical assistant/scribe for a neurology clinic. Was responsible with welcoming patients, taking patient bp and weight, and recording down patient history. Also put in orders for labs and prescriptions, under doctor's supervision ofc. (~90 hours) Volunteered at senior citizen home, and was responsible for dispersing meals, providing water, and taking charge on entertainment sessions for inhabitants.
  7. Research experience and productivity: (~480 hours) independent transcriptomic research project at UCB, looking into how the brain folds in a specific manner., Pub soon (shooting for around August) but after med school app deadline. (~300 hours) Did a lot of remote work with UCSD residents, but only ended up with a poster presentation at a big conference.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: (~750 hours) shadowing Interventional Radiology, (~50) Hours Cardiologist, (~200) Hours Neurologist
  9. Non-clinical volunteering : (~120 hours) The Berkeley Project which involved supervising a team of 30 students to do handiwork around the city of Berkeley and give back to the city through free labor.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: (~1500 hours) Established and ran my nonprofit (501-c3), Let's Be The Change, which works on providing aid to marginalized communities through creating sustainable solutions targeting social determinants of health. In one campaign, was able to raise over $17,000 and feed 1,600 Iraqi orphans for a month, and provided them with clothes and school supplies. (~100 hours) Founded and ran the Iraqi Student Union at UCB,
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. I p/np a lot of classes during covid, and a lot of them were premed preqs (Bio, Physics, Math)
    2. I got a 4.0 my last two years in my upper divs after covid ended and was back in person to show schools I'm still a good student.
    3. Strong letters of rec from research PI, and professors. Doctor I worked with in neurology clinic gave me a mediocre copy/paste template LOR.
    4. I live in SoCal and really want to stay close to home.
School List:
- University of California, Los Angeles DGSOM
- University of California, Irvine SOM
- University of California, Riverside SOM
- University of California, San Francisco SOM
- University of California, San Diego SOM
- University of California, Davis SOM
- Sandford University SOM
- Keck SOM (USC)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine (Phoenix and Tucson)
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh SOM
- California Northstate University College of Medicine
- California University of Science and Medicine
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College
- Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson SOM
- Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Wayne State University SOM
- University of Michigan Medical School
- University of Nevada, Reno SOM
- University of Maryland SOM
- Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
- New York Medical College
- NYU Grossman SOM
- NYU Long Island SOM
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Loma Linda University SOM
- Penn State University College of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic SOM

Members don't see this ad.

So just for clarification, you have 750 hours in IR shadowing but no primary care shadowing?

What do you feel is your calling and what kind of population do you want to serve in the future as a physician? What’s your mission-fit when comparing yourself to these schools?

Also personal take but Mayo, NYU, Pitt, and Stanford will screen you out most likely due to your MCAT score, especially as an ORM, so you can remove those from your school list.

You can add Rush, Oakland, NOVA MD, and Temple. Other people can chime in and correct me if I’m wrong here.

Reactions: 1 user
So just for clarification, you have 750 hours in IR shadowing but no primary care shadowing?

What do you feel is your calling and what kind of population do you want to serve in the future as a physician? What’s your mission-fit when comparing yourself to these schools?

Also personal take but Mayo, NYU, Pitt, and Stanford will screen you out most likely due to your MCAT score, especially as an ORM, so you can remove those from your school list.

You can add Rush, Oakland, NOVA MD, and Temple. Other people can chime in and correct me if I’m wrong here.

I would love to work with underserved communities in the future as a physician as I know they struggle the most with getting adequate care. I have (~50 hours) shadowing experience in primary care in low-income communities here in Oakland and San Jose. I'm hoping that in the future as a physician, I am able to participate in Doctors Without Borders campaigns and provide assistance for marginalized communities, as well as educate doctors abroad about better medical practices.

I have over 700 hours for IR shadowing because I myself had a procedure done by an IR during high school for a benign tumor, and so I was drawn to this field for a while. I'm still thinking about IR as a possible field of practice because I am drawn to the usage of such advanced technology to perform minimally invasive procedures, and how broad the field is and how fast it's growing.

I'm also worried about the P/NP grades I have in my transcript for my premed preq classes. Should this be an area of concern when applying (especially to the school list I've provided)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteered at senior citizen home, and was responsible for dispersing meals, providing water, and taking charge on entertainment sessions for inhabitants.
Please provide your hours and when you did this activity.
I'm also worried about the P/NP grades I have in my transcript for my premed preq classes. Should this be an area of concern when applying (especially to the school list I've provided)?
Which courses? Were they taken during three pandemic period?

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Einstein
NYU Long Island
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)