WAMC: 3.85 GPA: 21 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dental2024!

Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see any real problems with what you have. I would be disappointed if you didn't get any in-state love (Buffalo, Stony at least). I would expect your preprofessional office to be honest with you if they felt you were not prepared. At least your committee letter was sent out before August 1. We have a lot of applicants in premed complaining about their committee letters that haven't been submitted yet, and we're close to mid-September. In other words, your committee letter delivery date is fine and is not a problem. UB Dental should be familiar with the timing of the UB committee letter, and I'm sure that has never prevented any qualified UB student from getting interviewed or an offer.

GPA and DAT's are solid. Experience hours seem okay. You probably applied to a few public schools that even with your stats might not knock on your door (tOSU, UNE, UConn, Maryland, Minnesota).

Why are you being ghosted? Well, it's still too early. If you haven't gotten any word by Thanksgiving, you can start to stress a little, but there will likely be more II's going out in mid-December into January as people begin receiving offers and narrowing down their choices (and giving up any post-December interview slots). Trust the process, but keep your focus on improving your preparation. Do not update until you get an II.

I think on your list Casper only matters to CWRU, and you did the best you could (4Q). UDM uses Kira Talent, so if you haven't been granted access to the pre-interview SJT's, then you'll just have to wait.

Date of submission: 07/04/23, but Committee letter wasn't submitted until 7/26
Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21
AA, 21 TS, 20 OC, 22 GC, 20 BIO, 21 RC, 21 QR, 21 PAT
State of Residence: New York (buffalonian thru and thru)

Undergrad Attended:
Buffalo
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: none
Minority?
Yes/No- No
Reapplicant? no

Shadowing Experience:
General Dentistry - 78 submitted. (This includes 60 hours that I spent shadowing at a free dental clinic. After talking to my advisor, they advised me to split my total hours at the clinic between shadowing and volunteer dental assistant hours, since I did shadow the dentists at the clinic. However, I also spent time at the clinic doing typical dental assistant work like x-rays and information gathering. So, I also have another 60 hours in dental assistant time from this location.) Therefore, I am a little worried about my hours in just pure shadowing, but I have a lot more hours of dental experiences.

Dental Experience: At time of submitting had over 600 dental assisting hours. About 500 from assistant a dentist at nursing homes. And 100 from a pediatric dental assistant job that I started in early June. However, I still am working at both of these locations and gathering more hours throughout the summer. ***Should I update my application adding these additional hours??? Then I also have 60 hours from the clinic volunteering.

Volunteering Experience: About 200 hours listed. Most of my hours come from assisting at a musical theater school for younger children in the community. I also have tutored elementary students in an urban community. And, I volunteered for my college acting as an ambassador for my school's honors program. Also, as I mentioned above I volunteered in a non-profit, free dental clinic.

Employment: Lots of employment tbh; 120 hours working in a special program with UB and buffalo public schools teaching in science classrooms at high schools in Buffalo, 1000 hours with the Disney College Program, over 2000 hours working the Starbucks barista life, and then 1500 from working as a cashier in high school at a local market, plus all of my dental assistant hours above.

Research: About 100 hours working research, cut short due to Covid. But i worked under a graduate student's study trying to determine the addictiveness of vaping. I ran lab visits and interacted with the subjects.

Other Extracurriculars: Lots. I was apart of Alpha Epsilon Delta (the pre health honors society), Member of school's pre dental association, Did a medical internship throughout covid acting as a medical scribe, was a mentor for my college's freshman classes, TA'ed an intro bio course for two semesters, Was an intramural soccer captain, and was a very active member of Glee Club (holding two leadership positions), WISE member

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, UB.

Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list every semester, graduated with summa cum laude, honors college, apart of the honors pre-health fraternity

LOR type and strength: Committee:
One from my bio professor who I TA'ed for (very strong), one from my dentist I assist (strong), one from my genetics professor (average), one from my non-science professor (strong), volunteer coordinator from clinic (strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I'm mostly worried about my shadowing hours and my DAT scores. I just feel like I did not have enough time to do all this stuff while also working, going to school, and doing so many extra curriculars. I am also worried about the fact that I split the hours at the clinic, but I did shadow there as well as just assisting/volunteering (and this is what my pre-health advisor told me to do). Also, I feel like I've been ghosted by all these schools and I am just losing all faith while I keep checking SDN like every 20 mins :///// so if any of you could give me some advice I'd appreciate it (even if it just makes me lose more hope). I know some of these schools haven't sent out all interview invites prior to the December acceptances, but I feel like a lot of them did (idrk though).

Casper: Also idk if this even matters, but I got 4th q on casper

School list:
1. Buffalo
2. Pitt
3. Marquette
4. LECOM (got interview)
5. Minnesota
6. Detroit Mercy
7. Case Western
8. Touro
9. Stony Brook
10. Nova
11. Maryland
12. UNE
13. UCONN
14. Tufts
15. Rutgers
16. Boston
17. OSU
your DAT scores are fine

stay off SDN

tryst trust the process...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: 07/04/23, but Committee letter wasn't submitted until 7/26
Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21
AA, 21 TS, 20 OC, 22 GC, 20 BIO, 21 RC, 21 QR, 21 PAT
State of Residence: New York (buffalonian thru and thru)

Undergrad Attended:
Buffalo
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: none
Minority?
Yes/No- No
Reapplicant? no

Shadowing Experience:
General Dentistry - 78 submitted. (This includes 60 hours that I spent shadowing at a free dental clinic. After talking to my advisor, they advised me to split my total hours at the clinic between shadowing and volunteer dental assistant hours, since I did shadow the dentists at the clinic. However, I also spent time at the clinic doing typical dental assistant work like x-rays and information gathering. So, I also have another 60 hours in dental assistant time from this location.) Therefore, I am a little worried about my hours in just pure shadowing, but I have a lot more hours of dental experiences.

Dental Experience: At time of submitting had over 600 dental assisting hours. About 500 from assistant a dentist at nursing homes. And 100 from a pediatric dental assistant job that I started in early June. However, I still am working at both of these locations and gathering more hours throughout the summer. ***Should I update my application adding these additional hours??? Then I also have 60 hours from the clinic volunteering.

Volunteering Experience: About 200 hours listed. Most of my hours come from assisting at a musical theater school for younger children in the community. I also have tutored elementary students in an urban community. And, I volunteered for my college acting as an ambassador for my school's honors program. Also, as I mentioned above I volunteered in a non-profit, free dental clinic.

Employment: Lots of employment tbh; 120 hours working in a special program with UB and buffalo public schools teaching in science classrooms at high schools in Buffalo, 1000 hours with the Disney College Program, over 2000 hours working the Starbucks barista life, and then 1500 from working as a cashier in high school at a local market, plus all of my dental assistant hours above.

Research: About 100 hours working research, cut short due to Covid. But i worked under a graduate student's study trying to determine the addictiveness of vaping. I ran lab visits and interacted with the subjects.

Other Extracurriculars: Lots. I was apart of Alpha Epsilon Delta (the pre health honors society), Member of school's pre dental association, Did a medical internship throughout covid acting as a medical scribe, was a mentor for my college's freshman classes, TA'ed an intro bio course for two semesters, Was an intramural soccer captain, and was a very active member of Glee Club (holding two leadership positions), WISE member

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, UB.

Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list every semester, graduated with summa cum laude, honors college, apart of the honors pre-health fraternity

LOR type and strength: Committee:
One from my bio professor who I TA'ed for (very strong), one from my dentist I assist (strong), one from my genetics professor (average), one from my non-science professor (strong), volunteer coordinator from clinic (strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I'm mostly worried about my shadowing hours and my DAT scores. I just feel like I did not have enough time to do all this stuff while also working, going to school, and doing so many extra curriculars. I am also worried about the fact that I split the hours at the clinic, but I did shadow there as well as just assisting/volunteering (and this is what my pre-health advisor told me to do). Also, I feel like I've been ghosted by all these schools and I am just losing all faith while I keep checking SDN like every 20 mins :///// so if any of you could give me some advice I'd appreciate it (even if it just makes me lose more hope). I know some of these schools haven't sent out all interview invites prior to the December acceptances, but I feel like a lot of them did (idrk though).

Casper: Also idk if this even matters, but I got 4th q on casper

School list:
1. Buffalo
2. Pitt
3. Marquette
4. LECOM (got interview)
5. Minnesota
6. Detroit Mercy
7. Case Western
8. Touro
9. Stony Brook
10. Nova
11. Maryland
12. UNE
13. UCONN
14. Tufts
15. Rutgers
16. Boston
17. OSU
very few, if any of these schools have given out all their pre-dec invites...

very few, if any of these schools have given out all their pre-dec invites...
and you applied to 5 (or more) schools than you needed to (since you have no huge reaches), so all you have to do is trust the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.