WAMC 3.9/500 and School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueember

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I want to start off by saying I know my MCAT is awful. I worked and went to school while I studied for it and my score reflected it. I know I can do better, but I don't think I can emotionally handle it again, at least not right now. I will apply this cycle, but if I don't get in I will take a gap year and hopefully study and retake it after I've graduated. Please try to keep back the "retake the MCAT."

I will only be applying to DO schools and the Puerto Rico MD schools. I am an URM and English is not my first language. I also do not have any in-state DO schools.

GPA: 3.9 and 3.8 sGPA
MCAT: 500 (124/127/122/127) -> please do not crucify me
Clinical Experience: 1500+ hours
Shadowing: 75 hours (and I will have a DO LOR when I apply)
Volunteer: 250 hours (meaningful volunteer experience that ties into my narrative)
No research (will this kill me?)
Work Experience: I have worked non-stop since I was in high school, at times holding two jobs. I started a business with my parents - not medicine related, and have managed it for years. I also currently work as a lab tech in a clinical lab.

I do also have a strong personal narrative that is reflected across the board in my PS as well as my volunteering. Do I have a chance, even just a small chance? I plan on applying BROADLY to DO schools and will take any suggestions in terms of schools.

My current list:

PCOM
WVSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-COM
William Carey
Rowan
VCOM
LECOM
WVSOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I wanted to come in here and just say I encourage you to apply to OOS USA MD schools and you’re in state schools. Still apply PR and DO but I think you may receive some interviews from USA MD too. Recommend getting some advice from @Faha

OP: it's your call but without insight into your narrative and activities, we can't triangulate your mission fit. That would be a factor that could put your MCAT in context.
Sorry! I never know if I’m over sharing or under sharing in fear of doxing. Equity in healthcare and education as a minority is very important to me. I volunteer at a shelter for abuse victims and children with a large minority population. I work to help a lot of these kids understand their school material in ways that make sense to them due to the way their experiences have affected their learning. When I first arrived in the US I spoke no English and struggled, so I help them in ways that helped me succeed. My PS and clinical experienced also touch on my role in translating in a clinical setting and the lack of bilingual providers in my area.

Hey I wanted to come in here and just say I encourage you to apply to OOS USA MD schools and you’re in state schools. Still apply PR and DO but I think you may receive some interviews from USA MD too. Recommend getting some advice from @Faha
Hi! Any specific OOS MD you recommend? I didn’t think I’d stand a chance with my MCAT but I’m definitely open to taking the chance

Hi! Any specific OOS MD you recommend? I didn’t think I’d stand a chance with my MCAT but I’m definitely open to taking the chance
I think you would stand a chance. Most definitely apply. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Get a list from Faha I’m sure he will recommend you apply USA MD too.

I just DM’d you

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I am Hispanic URM and fluent in Spanish
You could actually receive interviews at some MD schools besides the ones in Puerto Rico.
I suggest applying to all of these MD schools:
U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
NOVA MD
Belmont (when it opens)
To your DO list you could add these schools:
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
ACOM

Reactions: 1 user

You could actually receive interviews at some MD schools besides the ones in Puerto Rico.
I suggest applying to all of these MD schools:
U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac