WAMC 3.9c/3.85s 523 MCAT (Low to mid ECs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InstantCoffee

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would benefit from another 100 hours of non clinical volunteering (not teaching).
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
California University
Mayo
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Jefferson
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Yale
Brown
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern

Reactions: 1 user
You need to catch up with your non-clinical volunteering, and the less health-associated the activity, the better.

EDIT: Can you tell me more about your reasons why you feel medicine is your calling? I'm not picking this up from what you disclosed, and I want to be sure you give yourself the best chance with holistic review.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You would benefit from another 100 hours of non clinical volunteering (not teaching).
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
California University
Mayo
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Jefferson
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Yale
Brown
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Thank you so much for the response! I did consider trying to find more non-clinical volunteering, but I'm worried that at this point it's so close to the application that it would look like I was front-loading my application/cramming, especially since the externship is relatively new and I'll be doing shadowing right before I submit as well.

Do you think it'd be worth it applying to MDs this cycle, or should I push off applying until after a gap year so I can get more nonclinical hours?

You need to catch up with your non-clinical volunteering, and the less health-associated the activity, the better.

EDIT: Can you tell me more about your reasons why you feel medicine is your calling? I'm not picking this up from what you disclosed, and I want to be sure you give yourself the best chance with holistic review.
I appreciate your reply and honesty. I do recognize that a lot of what I've said sounds very generic.

A lot of my interests lie in the sociology (my major). Not exactly an 'experience', but I have had the opportunity to do a lot of literature reviews about the American healthcare system through my classes, and I have found it really interesting (perhaps not in a good way) to be able to explore that side of medicine and then see how it manifests in actual clinical settings.

I had also considered doing research for a while, but the type of research I'm interested in, including in the lab I'm in right now, is animal research and I have struggled with the idea of having to be the one to personally euthanize them. I talked to one of my mentors in lab pretty early on, and they said that I already have a very medical mindset, and I think that's stuck with me as well.

(Those are not all my reasons, but I do feel like everything from the last few years has pushed me more and more in the direction of medicine.)

Thank you so much for the response! I did consider trying to find more non-clinical volunteering, but I'm worried that at this point it's so close to the application that it would look like I was front-loading my application/cramming, especially since the externship is relatively new and I'll be doing shadowing right before I submit as well.

Do you think it'd be worth it applying to MDs this cycle, or should I push off applying until after a gap year so I can get more nonclinical hours?
There is no issue with accumulating more non clinical volunteering in the next 2 months before you apply. You are fine to apply in June and your stats will attract interest at some schools. You need those shadowing hours too.