WAMC - 3rd application, nonspecific feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_vet2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
WAMC:

Non-traditional student, 2 children, 1st college attempt: 2007, returned in 2018. Applying to 1 school (each year), my IS - UTCVM
Degree: Bachelors of Science in Animal Science, December 2021 (graduating with honors, if things stay on track)
ACADEMICS:
- Undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.65 going into this application
- VCMAS cumulative GPA, 3 schools total contributing: 3.24
- Last 45 GPA: 3.97
- Math/Science: 3.12 (mostly dragged down by courses at community college when I first returned to school after 10 years out)
Total credit hours: 145 (156 including 2 career Ds)
- Undergrad, where I will receive Bachelors this year: 83 + 16 in fall (more than twice other two schools hours combined)

EXPERIENCES/ACHIEVEMENTS:
- 2000+ clinical small animal (worked as a technician for several years in several areas)
- 400 research (large animal and livestock) both as research assistant and researcher
- 1000 animal (no vet) including multiple certifications like Fear Free, Canine Trainer/Instructor, CPR, there's more
- ~300-400 extracurricular
- ~300 clinical large animal (mostly equine but some bovine)
- plenty of volunteer hours in both animal and non animal related areas
- Deans list (Summa Cum Laude) for several consistent semesters
- Agriculture Honor Society (Gamma Sigma Delta) invitation
- Academic performance based scholarships
- Tutor for Academic Success Center in all ANSC courses, Organic Chem and Statistics

INTERVIEWS:
- I have interviewed with every application. Most recent interview scores were high and feedback was positive.

LORS:
- Small animal veterinarian
- Veterinarian/professor of animal science
- Veterinarian/research/vet school professor
- Pre-vet advisor/professor of animal science

Although not required this year, on the GRE I scored a 307 with a 5.0 on the writing portion. Not sure if I should include that or not since it's not required.
During last cycle's file review, I was not offered anything super specific in terms of what I needed to work on or where they'd like to see improvement. Mostly that there's a large pool of applicants and a limited number of seats so I need to try and earn more points where I am already earning points so I can move myself up the proverbial ladder. I do believe my academics have knocked me out of the running because the worse run of coursework at a community college** consisted of heavy sciences and I took them right away when I decided to go back to school after being away for over 10 years. I was battling other things in my personal life so I was not well equipped to balance things very well. I HAVE learned how to do that and I have been consistently successful as a student for the last several years. The worst part is by me taking those chemistries (gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1, physics 1) up front and getting Cs in all of them, it's drastically pulled down my cumulative and math/science GPAs.

What are my chances? My last 45 at the last application cycle was only a 3.34 and application cumulative was likely under a 3.0 but I don't remember.

What could I try to do better?

Members don't see this ad.