WAMC as a non-traditional student? GPA 4.0, MCAT 512 practice, not in-state anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1027144

My situation is a bit strange in that I did not intend to go to med school when I was in undergrad. I graduated more than five years ago, but I have two graduate degrees and some full-time working experience. I would appreciate an evaluation of what tier schools to apply to, as well as advice about the following issues that I perceive as weaknesses:

• Since I moved frequently over the past few years, I am technically not in-state anywhere.
  • I have almost no volunteering experience (but am looking for ways to increase this before applying in June).
  • Definitely room for improvement in the MCAT score. Would a much higher score “make up” for the other issues?

1. cGPA and sGPA 4.0 in undergrad and MPH; sGPA 3.7 in MS
2. Have not taken MCAT; practice score 512
3. Completed MS and MPH programs in Texas
4. Live in Texas, but not long enough to count as in-state when I submit applications
5. Attended non-flashy state university
6. Worked full-time in a hospital for 1.5 years after grad school (3120 hours)
7. Four years of full-time biomedical research experience, including three year master’s program. Also participated in two-year part time EURP in undergrad.
8. Worked extensively with infectious disease and critical care physicians during 1.5 year employment at hospital, but not sure this counts as shadowing
9. Literally no non-clinical volunteering (single mom with limited time)
10. Two-sport athlete on athletic scholarship for four years in undergrad; several research internships; extensive teaching experience in grad school and at the hospital; two full-time jobs as an epidemiologist
11. One third-author publication in decent/average scientific journal; published master’s thesis

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will eligible for loans for the entire COA at the school that accepts you.
Will government loans be possible to cover her day care on top of cost of attending plus living expenses?

Should VNLP worry about Zero non clinical volunteering or does her impressive single mom status make up for it?

@VNLP I wonder whether TEXAS in-state is truly determined at time of application (with living their already) since you have been there long enough for instate tuition upon matriculation. Have you looked into that detail?

Will government loans be possible to cover her day care on top of cost of attending plus living expenses?

Should VNLP worry about Zero non clinical volunteering or does her impressive single mom status make up for it?

@VNLP I wonder whether TEXAS in-state is truly determined at time of application (with living their already) since you have been there long enough for instate tuition upon matriculation. Have you looked into that detail?
CoA is usually very generous. A meeting with financial aid representatives should clear up details, though SNAP and other benefits may be necessary.
I cannot speak for other schools, but caring for one's own child is what we expect from everyone. Caring for the offspring of others is altruism.
TX is their own nation state. I have never been able to understand them...

Reactions: 1 user

For med school applicants you must have lived in TX continuously for 12 months as of October 1 of the year you're applying. (so as of Oct 1 2020 for this year's applicants).

I emailed TMDSAS awhile ago, and they confirmed that my application will be out-of-State, but a school may charge in-state tuition since I’ll be in-state by matriculation. I asked about the MCAT score because I saw that average MCAT for UT MCGovern out-of-State was 518. As an update since my last post, I did a half length diagnostic from NextStep and it was 516. 124 in physics/chem but I still have to relearn physics and o-chem (been ten years since those classes in undergrad). But I have literally no idea how accurate that 516 is because it felt like a dumpster fire.
Loans are concerning for me because I already have 60K in loans from grad school.

Also FWIW she will be in kindergarten by the time med school starts, so daycare will not be an expense anymore. So that’s why a T20 is possible, but only if I get a *significant* scholarship

I emailed TMDSAS awhile ago, and they confirmed that my application will be out-of-State, but a school may charge in-state tuition since I’ll be in-state by matriculation. I asked about the MCAT score because I saw that average MCAT for UT MCGovern out-of-State was 518. As an update since my last post, I did a half length diagnostic from NextStep and it was 516. 124 in physics/chem but I still have to relearn physics and o-chem (been ten years since those classes in undergrad). But I have literally no idea how accurate that 516 is because it felt like a dumpster fire.
Loans are concerning for me because I already have 60K in loans from grad school.
The new MD school TCU/UNTHSC in Ft. Worth does not have any quotas for in-state -vs- OOS.

Curious which sports, and were you D1?

In my books your accomplishments along with Single mom and athlete scream superstar.
Definitely Aim for highest possible mcat, it will elevate you to solid T20/T10 from 514.
There are a bunch that give significant merit aid.
Also, most T20 give decently generous financial aid but Do take into account your parents income and assets to determine EFC. You can use an undergrad FAFSA calculator to estimate for Med School EFC.
BEST of luck.

My sports were cross country and track/field, and the school was Division 2.
thanks for all the information!! It’s truly appreciated, especially given the uncertainty with everything going on. Happy I’m going into infectious diseases

If someone will humor me, I also would appreciate an evisceration of my school list. My MCAT was canceled, so I am scheduled in July but applying blind in May. If my 516 diagnostic was accurate, I am hoping for 518-522 range. My gut is that many of these are reach schools, and I could probably save $ by being more realistic.

1. Baylor College of Medicine
  2. Wash U
  3. George Washington
  4. Georgetown
  5. Vanderbilt
  6. Duke
  7. Pritzker
  8. Northwestern
  9. Emory
  10. IUSM (home state)
  11. St Louis University
  12. UT McGovern
  13. UT SW
  14. UT Long
  15. UT Dell
  16. University of Houston

If someone will humor me, I also would appreciate an evisceration of my school list. My MCAT was canceled, so I am scheduled in July but applying blind in May. If my 516 diagnostic was accurate, I am hoping for 518-522 range. My gut is that many of these are reach schools, and I could probably save $ by being more realistic.

2. Wash U
  3. George Washington
  4. Georgetown
  5. Vanderbilt
  6. Duke
  7. Pritzker
  8. Northwestern
  9. Emory
  10. IUSM (home state)
  11. St Louis University
  12. UT McGovern
  13. UT SW
  14. UT Long
  15. UT Dell
Add more T10/20s unless you don’t want to live in that city.

2. Wash U
  3. George Washington
  4. Georgetown
  5. Vanderbilt
  6. Duke
  7. Pritzker
  8. Northwestern
  9. Emory
  10. IUSM (home state)
  11. St Louis University
  12. UT McGovern
  13. UT SW
  14. UT Long
  15. UT Dell
Add UTMB, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Texas Tech Foster. One cost for applying to all TX schools.