WAMC FlexMed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoBattery

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I can apply. For some context, I did an early college program where I was accepted to uni at 15 and graduated from the program at 18 and then got into a T20 undergrad and am a sophomore here by credits. Problem arises from old uni transcript bc it counts as my high school transcript as well bc credits from it were used to satisfy state hs grad requirements (my actual hs transcript only has 2 years of grades, uni has other 2)
Current Biology and Psychology double major, looking to do MD/MPH in future
Anyway stats
ACT 34
cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.93
Research: 1000hrs, (BMED + Infectious Disease work) wetlab + drylab work, 2 pending pubs

Clin Volunteering: 54hrs

Non Clin Volunteering: 300hrs (started tutoring underserved population tutoring thru 2 orgs recently, applying for exec in a culture org)

Clin work: 48hrs EMT (currently finding a job in one of the most dangerous cities in the world, ill be working at least 20hr/wk)

Shadowing: 16hrs (8 radiologist, 8 surgeon)

Extracurriculars: Co-founder and VP of a Chess Club at early uni program, competitor in a Research Organization at program and Ambassador + Mentor for the program

High school ECs: Varsity Debate, swimming, and Robotics (was Chief Engineer of 2 world level robotics teams)
High school GPA: 101.6/100W, don't know UW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other than more shadowing hours, which I presume may be age-related access issues?, you should put in more work here, especially with more primary care or family medicine. I presume you want to do FlexMed because you want more time to do clinical or research instead of more artistic/social/humanities interests?

Other than more shadowing hours, which I presume may be age-related access issues?, you should put in more work here, especially with more primary care or family medicine. I presume you want to do FlexMed because you want more time to do clinical or research instead of more artistic/social/humanities interests?
My age is a major reason why I wasn't able to get shadowing, many doctors I reached out to don't allow "high schooler aged" students to shadow them. I want to focus on EMT work and my volunteer work for underserved populations in my city; I'm also in a program that will let me shadow physicians in a teaching hospital next semester (32hrs expected). I can also reach out to more primary care + family medicine docs to shadow them during my winter break. I did shadow an optometrist for 24hrs, which allows me to answer the "Why MD" question, but I did not write it down in my shadowing hours because it wasn't MD shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users