WAMC for this upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huiuu

Reaction score
Date of submission: Planning to submit in mid June
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 20 TS 19 BIO 21 GC 17 OC 20 RC 21 QR 19 PAT 20
State of Residence: WA

Major: Microbiology and foreign language (Double degree)
Minor: European study
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Shadowing 3 general dentisty ~200 hours, orthodontis 50 hours
Volunteering Experience: Hospital volunteer 60 hours, teaching science to children in rural area for 100 hours
Employment: Dental assistant 1700 hours, nursing assistant 200 hours (4 months), 3 years of customer service related jobs
Research: ~100 hours of dental school research (Public health related) . No publication but will start working as a full time employee for that lab
Other Extracurriculars: ROTC 2 years, Neruobiology club for 4 years, club that shadowing physicians in rural community for 2 years.
Relevant Honors or Awards: --
LOR type and strength:
2 science professor, 1 foreign language professor, 1 dentist that I assisted, and all of my letters are from who saw me more than a year.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
1. UW 2. Boston U 3. California Northstate University 4. LECOM 5. Midwestern -Arizona 6. Nova 7. Roseman 8. Touro 9. Tufts 10. Western University of Health Science

Members don't see this ad.

I'd throw Colorado, UNLV, OHSU, and Creighton on the list. Remove Cal Northstate unless your parents are paying for the degree. They don't accept government aid so you'd be forced to take out ALL loans from private lenders. And the school is astronomically expensive so it's really not worth it unless you are on a full scholarship or your parents are helping you out. I don't really see a connection to NOVA or LECOM either.

I'd throw Colorado, UNLV, OHSU, and Creighton on the list. Remove Cal Northstate unless your parents are paying for the degree. They don't accept government aid so you'd be forced to take out ALL loans from private lenders. And the school is astronomically expensive so it's really not worth it unless you are on a full scholarship or your parents are helping you out. I don't really see a connection to NOVA or LECOM either.
Do you think I should add NYU on that as well? NYU is definitely not my top choice but I would apply if I have shot to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I should add NYU on that as well? NYU is definitely not my top choice but I would apply if I have shot to get in.
if you'd attend NYU if it was your only school that accepted you then sure, do apply. But just please keep in mind that the school's COA is around 150k a year. You'd be looking at 600-700k debt upon graduation, and with rising inflation and increased interest on Gov loans this year along with increased yearly tuition you could be looking at 700K+ in loans. So just be mindful of it before applying. WesternU, BostonU, Tufts, NOVA, Cal Northstate are all similar. You have some very expensive schools on your list.

What have you done to network/reach out to UW? I assume that's your top school since it's your IS school for tuition. I would try and focus there if you can.

if you'd attend NYU if it was your only school that accepted you then sure, do apply. But just please keep in mind that the school's COA is around 150k a year. You'd be looking at 600-700k debt upon graduation, and with rising inflation and increased interest on Gov loans this year along with increased yearly tuition you could be looking at 700K+ in loans. So just be mindful of it before applying. WesternU, BostonU, Tufts, NOVA, Cal Northstate are all similar. You have some very expensive schools on your list.

What have you done to network/reach out to UW? I assume that's your top school since it's your IS school for tuition. I would try and focus there if you can.
I would like to apply for some less expensive schools as well, but then my concern is that my stat is not good enough to apply for those schools.

I did my undergrad at UW and I did the research at UW dental school so my PI is a professor at UWSOD.

It might help to get your PI to write you a letter instead of dentist. Most schools don’t require a dentist LOR and if they do you could have the dentist send the letter to schools personally.

I’d say best chances for cheaper schools would be near you regionally.

Reactions: 1 user
The low BCP/science GPA is going to make things challenging, and it depends on your GPA trends and what upper-level biomedical sciences you did well in. Your best shot would be UW, but you may have to do postbac work to assure the powers that be that you can handle the curriculum. On the other hand, if you have a lot of experience with rural dentistry/health care, you might get a good look. Have you contacted the admissions team or ASDA student leaders at UW?

Also I'm not sure how the schools will view your ROTC service (I presume it will be favorable). Would you do HPSP or NHSC?

Date of submission: Planning to submit in mid June
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.1
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20 TS 19 BIO 21 GC 17 OC 20 RC 21 QR 19 PAT 20
State of Residence: WA

Major: Microbiology and foreign language (Double degree)
Minor: European study
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Shadowing 3 general dentisty ~200 hours, orthodontis 50 hours
Volunteering Experience: Hospital volunteer 60 hours, teaching science to children in rural area for 100 hours
Employment: Dental assistant 1700 hours, nursing assistant 200 hours (4 months), 3 years of customer service related jobs
Research: ~100 hours of dental school research (Public health related) . No publication but will start working as a full time employee for that lab
Other Extracurriculars: ROTC 2 years, Neruobiology club for 4 years, club that shadowing physicians in rural community for 2 years.
Relevant Honors or Awards: --
LOR type and strength:
2 science professor, 1 foreign language professor, 1 dentist that I assisted, and all of my letters are from who saw me more than a year.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
1. UW 2. Boston U 3. California Northstate University 4. LECOM 5. Midwestern -Arizona 6. Nova 7. Roseman 8. Touro 9. Tufts 10. Western University of Health Science
did you volunteer/shadow/attend events at UWSOD?