WAMC- for upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jirachiwish

Reaction score
Date of submission: as soon as possible
Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.92
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA, 23 Bio, 20 GC, 24 OC, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, 23 QR, 22 TS
State of Residence: Michigan

Major: Human Biology
Minor: Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
40 hours at VA medical center in Detroit, 104 hours in private practice, 140 total
Volunteering Experience: 70 hours online with American Red Cross during the pandemic, 65 hours at a thrift store, 135 total
Employment: 400 hours working as a sterilization technician in a dental office, 250 teaching tennis to little kids, 400 front desk receptionist of a dorm at my university
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership in organization that funds events for underserved children in the Lansing area to explore the outdoors, pre-health fraternity, pre-dental club, club tennis, leadership in organization that fundraises to provide scholarships for daughters of veterans.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list all semesters at university
LOR type and strength: 1 from dentist I have known from a young age, 1 from microbiology professor, 1 from physics professor (I don't really know the strength of them, hopefully good?)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I'm having a hard time writing my personal statement without it sounding cliche.
School list:
1) university of michigan
2) detroit mercy
3) Ohio state
4) case western
5) indiana
6) marquette
7) temple
8) pitt
9) Nova south eastern
10) Colorado
11) maryland
12) NYU
13) Boston

Please let me know if there are any schools I should consider adding to my list. Also, I'm concerned on the importance of my personal statement. I've been really stressed out writing it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your list is solid and reflects the usual set of schools that you should be applying to. :) NYU is probably where everyone applies to in spite of the insane cost of attendance, and so it's the one I'd likely say you can skip.

I don't know if Colorado would give you a shot, but I think it's worth trying. Do your networking through ASDA or SNDA with the schools near the top of your list! Cross-check other OOS statistics. Find your mission fit, and you may have a solid enough application that will get attention.

Prepare for Casper and SJT's (Kira Talent).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA, 23 Bio, 20 GC, 24 OC, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, 23 QR, 22 TS

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
40 hours at VA medical center in Detroit, 104 hours in private practice, 140 total
Volunteering Experience: 70 hours online with American Red Cross during the pandemic, 65 hours at a thrift store, 135 total
Employment: 400 hours working as a sterilization technician in a dental office, 250 teaching tennis to little kids, 400 front desk receptionist of a dorm at my university
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership in organization that funds events for underserved children in the Lansing area to explore the outdoors, pre-health fraternity, pre-dental club, club tennis, leadership in organization that fundraises to provide scholarships for daughters of veterans.
LOR type and strength: 1 from dentist I have known from a young age, 1 from microbiology professor, 1 from physics professor (I don't really know the strength of them, hopefully good?)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I'm having a hard time writing my personal statement without it sounding cliche.
School list:
2) detroit mercy
3) Ohio state
4) case western
5) indiana
6) marquette
7) temple
8) pitt
9) Nova south eastern
10) Colorado
11) maryland
12) NYU
13) Boston

Please let me know if there are any schools I should consider adding to my list. Also, I'm concerned on the importance of my personal statement. I've been really stressed out writing it.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
School list:
2) detroit mercy
3) Ohio state
4) case western
5) indiana
6) marquette
7) temple
8) pitt
9) Nova south eastern
10) Colorado
11) maryland
12) NYU
13) Boston

take off nova and NYU, please
look into OOS publics that offer in state tuition after 1 year

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?
Not really. The only event I went to was for Detroit Mercy. I listened to the dean of admissions give a presentation, but that was through my university's pre-dental club, so I don't know if that counts.

I think your list is solid and reflects the usual set of schools that you should be applying to. :) NYU is probably where everyone applies to in spite of the insane cost of attendance, and so it's the one I'd likely say you can skip.

I don't know if Colorado would give you a shot, but I think it's worth trying. Do your networking through ASDA or SNDA with the schools near the top of your list! Cross-check other OOS statistics. Find your mission fit, and you may have a solid enough application that will get attention.

Prepare for Casper and SJT's (Kira Talent).
Thanks for the info!

I'm also still thinking about your list. (The other experts can chime in with thoughts.) I would be shocked if Michigan and Detroit Mercy don't make plays. I would expect some action from at least one: Pitt, CWRU, Ohio State, Marquette, and Temple. Where I'm not sure if whether it could be a decent reach to try for Penn and Columbia... the DAT is not that far from "impossible." (I don't have access to the DSE yet to check on this.)

I'm also still thinking about your list. (The other experts can chime in with thoughts.) I would be shocked if Michigan and Detroit Mercy don't make plays. I would expect some action from at least one: Pitt, CWRU, Ohio State, Marquette, and Temple. Where I'm not sure if whether it could be a decent reach to try for Penn and Columbia... the DAT is not that far from "impossible." (I don't have access to the DSE yet to check on this.)
Penn is within reach for the DAT score, maybe just a smidge below average if anything. Columbias average usually hovers around a 23-24AA. But yeah, DSE isn’t available yet and neither is the CO2026 ADEA guide so the stats could change

Reactions: 1 user
Penn is within reach for the DAT score, maybe just a smidge below average if anything. Columbias average usually hovers around a 23-24AA. But yeah, DSE isn’t available yet and neither is the CO2026 ADEA guide so the stats could change
I don't think I can apply to Penn because they won't accept my biology prerequisite. What do you think about me applying to Louisville in Kentucky and Minnesota?

Why won’t they accept your bio prerequisite?
My school is weird and doesn't list AP credits on my transcript, so I had them submit a letter showing the class equivalencies. However, Upenn won't take the letter so it's whatever.