WAMC/GPA 3.9/MCAT 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orbitgum231

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some guidance on a school list and what my overall chances are with my low-ish MCAT score.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: GPA is 3.9, Science GPA is 3.9
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 8/5/22 got 503 (126,126,125,126). 1/13/23 got 508 (126,126,127,129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Iowa
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: top 15 school (private)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Operating Room Assistant (350 hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity: Getting published in summertime. I do work in R and work extensively with the team on the study that we are conducting which has to do with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. 500+ hours
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Shadowed in Emergency Department (30 hours)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Crisis Text Line (150 hours), Mentored high school students at their school every week (50 hours), Taught a SAT reading/writing class for a nonprofit (50 hours)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc). Teaching Assistant for Gen Chem I and II (200 hours), Gen Bio II (200 hours), upper level physiology class (200 hours). Independent Tutor (350 hours). I am on the executive council for Camp Kesem at my school which has been around 500+ hours. I am also a resident advisor which has been almost 700 hours. Athletics: Club running...I run a lot (do lots of half marathons and am running a marathon--huge hobby of mine which does take up some of my time everyday. Since college started, close to 200 hours of running.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's List
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Looking for help on coming up with a school list. Not sure how far my MCAT score is going to bring me down, but would just like to know schools I should put on my list. Would ideally like to apply MD but understand that MCAT is not high enough to exclude DO entirely.

Members don't see this ad.

Your Camp work fits under nonclinical volunteering but not your SAT or high school mentoring (because it's mentoring). I'd still like to see more direct work with older adults in need face to face.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Iowa
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel