WAMC, High-Stats, Mid to Low ECs, ORM MI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

page394

Reaction score
*****************edited to remove identifying details*****************
My Stats/ECs:
  1. cGPA : 3.98
  2. sGPA : 3.96
  3. MCAT score : 521
  4. State of residence: MI
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
  6. Undergraduate institution: XXX
  7. Major: Biology
  8. Clinical experience:
    1. 300 hours, paid MA work (doing vitals, phlebotomy, etc)
  9. Research experience and productivity:
    1. 200 hours in wet lab, no posters or pubs.
    2. 300-400 hours Independent research in non-STEM field with manuscript in-progress some posters and presentations associated
  10. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. 60 hours
  11. Non-clinical volunteering :
    1. 300 hours volunteering with low income families
  12. Other extracurricular activities
    1. Physics TA: 200 hours
    2. Another class TA: 50-80 hours.
    3. Lots of hours working at family business; nothing to do with healthcare.
    4. Hobby: Art
Current List: Pretty top heavy. As for my state schools, I will apply to all except OUWBM and Central MI (mission fit type issues).

University of Michigan
UCSF
UPenn
Mt. Sinai
Mayo
NYU
Stanford
Yale
Columbia
Washington St. Louis
UChicago
Weill Cornell
Duke
U Pittsburg
Northwestern
Harvard
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Indiana
University of Iowa (Carver)
University of Cinncinati
Wayne State
Michigan State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the timespan for your MA job? A narrow one could raise some eyebrows.
Yea, I started last August (2022) which might read as cramming it in last minute? It's part-time so racking up hours has been difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I started last August (2022) which might read as cramming it in last minute? It's part-time so racking up hours has been difficult.
No, starting in August 2022 is fine. Try to gain as many hours as possible there over the next month or two though.

I think you should also include the family business and the different responsibilities you had over the years.

Reactions: 2 users
Show us your Casper and PREview scores (when you get them)?
I can update the thread once I get them but I'm taking those tests in late May. Given some processing time/scoring time I don't know when I will get the scores back.
I plan to on submitting my application the first day or two so I am not sure if advice I get on this thread at that time will be very applicable :).

In the meantime, is there anything you recommend that I can work on or change in this final month?

Add:
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Dartmouth
USF
Keck

Take off UCLA and UCSF since you have enough high stat schools that are much closer to you.

Add:
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Dartmouth
USF
Keck

Take off UCLA and UCSF since you have enough high stat schools that are much closer to you.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will read up on them! I will say that as an ex. CA resident it pains to me to know how competitive CA schools are... out of state and for in-state *sigh*

I will get use to the snow... eventually...

Is there anything else I can add or do this last month that would be recommended or any other advice? Thank you so much!
@gyngyn, @Faha

You have a ton of teaching and tutoring. You don't need more.

You can continue with housing rehabilitation community service or add food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or transportation services.

You have a ton of teaching and tutoring. You don't need more.

You can continue with housing rehabilitation community service or add food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or transportation services.
Thank you!

I know I have about a month of time to address anything glaring or any hours I need to bolster; what would you recommend? I have my PS written already.
Oh I just saw this. Are you done with pre-written secondary essays?

Oh I just saw this. Are you done with pre-written secondary essays?
Besides some bullet point outlines that helped me with my PS, not really.
It's on my to-do list but the thought of writing secondary essays along with my manuscript makes me wanna scream so I have been procrastinating the secondary essays:whistle:😅...