WAMC I 3.94GPA I 36 MCAT I CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted737477

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a good candidate for many many schools.

As gyngyn(who works in a UC) will tell you: nine is fine don't whine

Do not retake a 36.

Invest in MSAR for schools specifically to look for, particularly those with similar MCAT medians to yours(say 33-37 range). Pay attention to schools 90th percentile MCAT(ie be a little more wary of applying to schools where your MCAT is at the 90th percentile) and focus on schools that take at least 20% OOS. You should be able to find at least 25 schools under these criteria; if you want input narrowing that list down that's what this forum is for.

You're golden. Aim high.

Let's see your list!

Hi everyone! I've been on SDN awhile now and decided to make an account so I could do a WAMC thread. I'm pretty nervous about applying to med school, so here it goes:

I'm a fourth year graduating this year from a top public school in California . I was at another 4 year California public school before transferring.
Biology Major, 3.94 cGPA (could be subject to change before graduation)
MCAT is a 36 (13/9/14) October 2014

ECs:

~ 300 hours volunteering in multiple departments throughout a hospital
~ 50 hours volunteering in a hospice. I was with my patient for 4 months and did not sign up for another patient after she past away. She past away about a month before I transferred and there was no hospice program near my new school.
~ 80 hours volunteering in a free clinic through a university program. We connected underserved and uninsured patients with free health services such as dental examinations and eye tests.
~ 150 hours volunteering at an after-school program for elementary students
~ 100 hours providing food for the homeless and put together events to increase homeless awareness
~ 150 hours performing outreach at local free clinics to increase alzheimer's awareness
~ 100 hours leading a team that organized a health fair in a medically underserved area that hosted local medical representatives. Recieved a Certificate of Congressional Recognition from a Congressman
~ 100 hours teaching high school students science from schools with low test scores to a college campus and motivating them to pursue higher education, especially a scientific one
~50 hours total shadowing an OBGYN, a pulmonologist, and gastroenterologist

- A lot of time as a resident assistant: interact with residents from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds, counsel residents and address concerns regarding academic prosperity and personal development, enforce on-campus housing policy; respond efficiently to policy violations to ensure proper protocol, execute community builders and program events to build and strengthen the floor community

- A lot of time doing research: I was in my first lab for a year and did not have my own project but helped others with theirs. In my second lab I have my own project that is very intense and one of my most rewarding experiences in college. I'll have a few poster presentations before applying but probably no publications. I received a summer stipend too.

I'm concerned about my unbalanced MCAT score. Will it hold me back from applying to certain schools?
I know there's nothing on my application that makes it stand out, so I'm having a hard time putting together a school list. Any suggestions are appreciated!

If you need more information please ask me! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
remove all your top 10 schools. You will not get in b/c your research is lacking. Best school you have a chance in is Univ. of Washington public school. good luck

remove all your top 10 schools. You will not get in b/c your research is lacking. Best school you have a chance in is Univ. of Washington public school. good luck
What on earth? A couple years in labs with several posters is fine, you don't need publications to be competitive on top of a 36 / 3.94 with very strong service.

Reactions: 1 user
:bang:

OP you can and should apply to any schools you want. Realistically, the chances at a top 10 are a crapshoot for anyone, and I personally doubt that you will receive much love from them because 1) you have a solid app but nothing stands out and 2) 9 in CARS is on the low side with most top 20s having ~11. That being said, you should definitely apply because you do have a chance, just not a great one (if anyone could ever have a good chance at those schools). Of course, it depends on your financial situation...