WAMC!!! I could use wise words...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofy Goober

Certified Nerd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdie, I was hoping somebody could help me with my school list... Should I add or subtract any schools. I'm not sure what balance I should strive for based on my activities and stats (just got MCAT today and it was a shock). Any help would be appreciated.

1. GPA: cGPA 3.97 and sGPA 3.90

2. MCAT: 521 (129/129/132/131)

3. Residence: Illinois resident (I attend a small, rural, liberal arts college.

4. Ethnicity: White male, ORM

5. Clinical experience: 400 hours as EMT basic and 400 hours ER tech (800 hours TOTAL)

6. Research: 1.5 years (400 hours) on two projects with one presentation at an ACS conference... I will have an REU experience with another 400 hours with a presentation at another institution or my home college (my backup). (800 hours TOTAL)

7. Shadowing: None, but I have formed connections and have shadowing set up for early this upcoming summer and fall with local physicians (covid ****ed things up here.

8. Volunteering: 3 years and 300 hours of local volunteer firefighting (some of this is clinical and some nonclinical)

9. Misc: Collegiate athlete (Tennis), Premed Club President and member for 3 years, TA for chemistry department for a year (100 hours), worked for a genetic crop engineering company for 3 years during the summers (2000 hours). My hobbies also include lifting heavy things and then putting them back down.

10. Honors: Deans list 6X

Current School List
Cleveland Clinic Lerner COM
Wash U
NYU
Kaiser Permanente
Baylor
Cornell
Einstein

Dartmouth Geisel
St. Louis University
Wisconsin Medical College
University of Illinois
Southern Illinois University
Rush Medical College
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
Loyola University
Texas Schools (I like TEXAS)

Members don't see this ad.

Texas doesn't take many from OOS. Maybe add Iowa, U. Wisconsin, Michigan, Cincinnati, Ohio State, and Pitt.

Reactions: 1 user
You have an awesome application based on stats and activities; very well rounded. Your current list is okay but you want to have around 20-25 schools total. Make sure you have all of your state schools. In addition to the ones you have currently, consider:

Mid-Tiers:

-Cincinnati
-Jefferson
-Temple
-Hofstra
-BU
-Tufts
-Miami
-Georgetown
-Tulane
-Wake Forest

Targets/Reaches:
-UChicago
-Northwestern
-Case Western
-Michigan
-Pitt
-Sinai
-Columbia
-Ohio State
-Emory
-Vanderbilt
-Duke
-UCLA
-UCSF
-UCSD

With regards to TX schools I'm not sure how high yield they are. Someone more well-versed can advise there.

You have an awesome application based on stats and activities; very well rounded. Your current list is okay but you want to have around 20-25 schools total. Make sure you have all of your state schools. In addition to the ones you have currently, consider:

Mid-Tiers:

-Cincinnati
-Jefferson
-Temple
-Hofstra
-BU
-Tufts
-Miami
-Georgetown
-Tulane
-Wake Forest

Targets/Reaches:
-UChicago
-Northwestern
-Case Western
-Michigan
-Pitt
-Sinai
-Columbia
-Ohio State
-Emory
-Vanderbilt
-Duke
-UCLA
-UCSF
-UCSD

With regards to TX schools I'm not sure how high yield they are. Someone more well-versed can advise there.
Thank you so much!