This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrandTourer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I would really appreciate some help on deciding if I should seriously apply with the stats that I have. I've recently started to look into Osteopathic schools to apply to however, my MCAT is unbalanced 506:127,122,128,129 and I think that might severely deter me from getting any attention. I did retake the MCAT 8/19 recently so I'am hoping for a better or more balanced score. my cGPA is 3.84 on the AMCAS scale and my sGPA is 3.87. I've never retaken a course so I believe the new GPA calculation rules DO schools are using won't apply to me.
My nationality is Pakistani but I have been living in NY for 18 years.

My most notable extracurriculars:
Played Volleyball (intramural) in university for 4 years.
Volunteered at my locals hospital's heart institute for 2 summers.
Summer research at the hospital 500+ hours.
Undergrad thesis in Immunology during my 4th year. 600+ hours No pub :(
President of my faculty's student council.
Co-founder of an organization on my campus called Queen's Helping the Homeless.
Volunteered as a camp guide for under-privileged children for 2 years.
Shadowed 3 physicians (~160 hours total) all MD though :/ (Trying to find DO physicians to shadow currently) and have 1 MD LoR.
and more...

My future aspirations are to go into Ophthalmology or IM. Although after shadowing surgeons and anesthesiologists, I have gained an interest in those fields as well.

I still have not submitted my primary for AACOMAS yet, but I plan to by Aug-30th. AACOMAS already has my transcript.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied to MD schools this cycle? You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Faha,

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I have applied to MD schools as well, and am just starting to receive my secondaries. I am applying quite broadly too.

With regards to DO schools, do you think it is okay I'm applying without any DO references?
Also, I have looked into Osteopathic medicine a bit through online research. I don't have a compelling argument why I want to become an Osteopathic physician over an Allopathic other than the fact that through OMT, I have an additional method to help my patients who would be good candidates for it. Besides that, my desire to become a physician is to be in the service of my patients, and become a leader in medicine, which applies to both fields.
Do you think I should bolster up my justification for applying? I realize many applications for DO schools ask "Why DO?"

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD schools be certain to include all 4 SUNY's, Albany and NYMC. Some DO schools require a DO LOR so you will need to check for each school. Your stats are good enough for all DO schools.