WAMC non-trad 23-24 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingis

Reaction score
I'm a non-trad 23-24 cycle applicant applying to all southern CA MD schools (I know that's not recommended and very risky, but I have to stay in this area for personal/family reasons). I just earned my PhD in Translational Science field (graduating in Dec) and also have a masters in Regulatory Science, both from School of Pharmacy at University of Southern California (USC).

Why MD? To put it very very shortly, I want to work more directly with patients and bridge the gap between benchside research and bedside care. I want to see/figure out/improve patient needs with my own eyes.

So far, I've gotten zero response (no IIs and no Rs). I was complete early August. I don't have a pre-med advisor, and my recommendations are from my PI and collaborators. What are my chances for this cycle? After I graduate in Dec, I plan to get more clinical hours as an EMT, get more shadowing, and continue working with my advisor/her project until med school decisions are made. Is there anything else I should do to increase my chances of getting into these schools?
  1. 3.84 cGPA (forgot my exact sGPA but it's around the same). Graduate GPA is 3.92
  2. MCAT 510 (127/125/127/131)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian (first-gen American)
  5. Undergraduate institution: Southern Utah University (full scholarship, played D1 soccer for 4 years). Majored in biology and minored in chem
  6. Clinical experience: 100+ hours as EMT (anticipating 1000+ more)
  7. Research experience and productivity: 7000+ hours over 4-5 years (worked as a lab volunteer, then lab tech, then PhD). General field is neuropharmacology
  8. Shadowing: I haven't gotten to do much and I'm planning to get them in after I officially graduate in Dec. The only shadowing I was able to do was pharmacists in LGBTQ+ and psychiatry (it was during covid and I knew these clinicians from my school so they let me shadow under high precautions. Other MDs (understandably at that time) didn't allow any shadowing). Haven't had time to do more unfortunately.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 300+ hours mostly running soccer clinics for underserved populations/communities/youth and advocating for girls/womens sports
  10. Other extracurricular activities: all soccer related... playing collegiate and semi-pro soccer, coaching youth club and recreational soccer (licensed), Japanese interpretation for a professional soccer player
  11. Relevant honors or awards: 4 year scholarship, 3 year Big Sky All-Academic team, 2 year Dean's list at undergrad. 2-year provost fellowship at grad
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important. 4 first-author publications + 1 first-author publication in preparation (low- to mid-impact journals) and 5 authored publications (all within the 4-5 years I was at USC). 3 presentations. Co-writing grant applications with my PI. Involved in student groups for my first 2 years at grad (1 year I was involved in organizing a small scientific meeting). Heavy experience on mentoring and teaching during PhD and coaching youth soccer
List that I applied to:
USC
UCLA
UCSD
Kaiser
UCI
UCR
Charles R. Drew (only school that I didn't get secondary for)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances for interviews are low with your limited shadowing and clinical volunteering hours and a MCAT of 510. UCR mainly admits applicants from that region. Have you considered applying to DO schools ?

Your chances for interviews are low with your limited shadowing and clinical volunteering hours and a MCAT of 510. UCR mainly admits applicants from that region. Have you considered applying to DO schools ?
I'm starting to consider DO schools, but I've also heard that that I would need experience or ties with DOs (I could be mistaken) to have a good chance. Is that correct? Should I start reaching shadowing DOs?

I'm starting to consider DO schools, but I've also heard that that I would need experience or ties with DOs (I could be mistaken) to have a good chance. Is that correct? Should I start reaching shadowing DOs?
Shadowing a DO would help but a DO LOR is not required for the majority of DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user