WAMC 23-24 cycle. Realistic expectations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khairym

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 2.70 sGPA: 3.04 - MS in medical sciences cGPA: 3.80 sGPA: 3.79 (career changer, undergrad gpa heavily skewed by horrible BA in Media 10 years ago. Have A orgo 1, B+ orgo 2, A in Biochem)
  2. MCAT: June 496-123,123,124,126 *** August 503-125,125,125,128
  3. State of residence: Florida
  4. Black (Nubian from southern Egypt)
  5. Undergrad: UDC, FIU Grad: USF
  6. MA: 120 hrs *** Clinical research coordinator: 1k, 1k expected *** Hospital volunteer (pushed patients around in wheelchair / discharge): 80 hrs
  7. Orthopedic research as CRC. Only one case report mentioned in app
  8. Orthopedic surgery shadowing (clinic and OR) - 300 hrs different unrelated practices
  9. About 1k hrs of volunteering in education spaces such as tutoring disadvantaged kids, coaching soccer, tutoring in college, farm field trips in Egypt.
  10. College soccer, TV producer 4k hrs, and owned a photography business 1.5k hrs before pursuing medicine. Well-rounded hobbies that include scuba diving and hiking. Worked in multiple industries like the food, sales, and customer service industries.
  11. Relevant honors or awards - N/A
  12. Worked since 17 (I'm 30 now) to support myself through college and beyond and I believe that is worth mentioning as it has helped me grow.
Complete MD 9/6 and DO 9/10-9/20.
I applied to about 31 DO schools and 15 MD schools. I was hoping to get some love from the HBCU's and DO schools focused on serving disadvantaged populations because that is a big part of my passion within medicine. So far I have had two DO II's. Finished one and got wait-listed and waiting to interview for the second one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which DO schools did you apply to and where were your 2 interviews ?
man I applied to almost all but if a list helps you give advice then here goes:
OSU COM
UP KYCOM
ATSU KCOM
ATSU SOMA
CHSU COM - Rejected
VCOM - VA
VCOM - LA
VCOM - Carolinas
LECOM - PA - Rejected
LECOM - Bradenton
LMU DCOM
Marian - Rejected
KCU COM
NYIT COM
NSU COM
PCOM - PA
PCOM - Georgia
Rocky Vista - Rejected
Rowan-Virtua
Touro - NY
Touro - CA - Rejected
Touro - NV - Rejected
UIWSOM
WVSOM
WUHS COM
William Carey
Burrell
DUQCOM
OCOM - Rejected
William Carey waitlisted
KCU interview coming up

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully, you will receive more interviews from that list of schools you applied to . You could add more schools this week and I suggest these:
ARCOM
BUCOM
ACOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
ICOM

Hopefully, you will receive more interviews from that list of schools you applied to . You could add more schools this week and I suggest these:
ARCOM
BUCOM
ACOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
ICOM
Thanks! I’m kind of low on funds at this point. Could you suggest a top 3? I’ll also research all of them and try to rank based on mission and stat alignment.

Any networking with SNMA or mentoring organizations for black women in medicine?
If you’re asking if I’ve networked, I went to the AAMC fair in Seattle this past weekend but that’s it. I’m not sure what other networking opportunities are available to me. I registered for a virtual DO fair that involves mostly the southern DO schools. I’m on the lookout for in person opportunities!

Reactions: 1 user
  1. cGPA: 2.70 sGPA: 3.04 - MS in medical sciences cGPA: 3.80 sGPA: 3.79 (career changer, undergrad gpa heavily skewed by horrible BA in Media 10 years ago. Have A orgo 1, B+ orgo 2, A in Biochem)
  2. MCAT: June 496-123,123,124,126 *** August 503-125,125,125,128
  3. State of residence: Florida
  4. Black (Nubian from southern Egypt)
  5. Undergrad: UDC, FIU Grad: USF
  6. MA: 120 hrs *** Clinical research coordinator: 1k, 1k expected *** Hospital volunteer (pushed patients around in wheelchair / discharge): 80 hrs
  7. Orthopedic research as CRC. Only one case report mentioned in app
  8. Orthopedic surgery shadowing (clinic and OR) - 300 hrs different unrelated practices
  9. About 1k hrs of volunteering in education spaces such as tutoring disadvantaged kids, coaching soccer, tutoring in college, farm field trips in Egypt.
  10. College soccer, TV producer 4k hrs, and owned a photography business 1.5k hrs before pursuing medicine. Well-rounded hobbies that include scuba diving and hiking. Worked in multiple industries like the food, sales, and customer service industries.
  11. Relevant honors or awards - N/A
  12. Worked since 17 (I'm 30 now) to support myself through college and beyond and I believe that is worth mentioning as it has helped me grow.
Complete MD 9/6 and DO 9/10-9/20.
I applied to about 31 DO schools and 15 MD schools. I was hoping to get some love from the HBCU's and DO schools focused on serving disadvantaged populations because that is a big part of my passion within medicine. So far I have had two DO II's. Finished one and got wait-listed and waiting to interview for the second one.
Did you apply to Liberty? I also have a masters in medical science and they looked at that very favorably compared to my lower early stats. Your ECS sound super interesting! I hope you have some love from schools soon. ♥♥

Reactions: 1 users