WAMC Non-Trad 3.4cGPA/3.2sGPA 513MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab2Doc

Reaction score
WAMC, plan on applying both MD/DO and hope to sendout 40+ applications. What should I do to bolster my application, if anything?

1. GPA
    1. cGPA = 3.43
    2. sGPA = 3.20
  2. MCAT =
    1. 9/9/23 - 513 (studied while employed full-time, unsure if relevant)
      1. C/P = 127
      2. CARS = 128
      3. B/B = 128
      4. P/S = 130
    2. 7/2/13 – 29
      1. PS – 8
      2. VR – 11
      3. BS – 10
    3. 4/27/13 – 27
      1. PS – 8
      2. VR – 10
      3. BS - 9
  3. Texas and Colorado Residency
  4. White/Asian
  5. Texas State University
  6. Clinical Experience
    1. 1-year FTE as medical laboratory technologist (~2000 hours)
    2. 3-years FTE as laboratory manager by time of 2025 matriculation (~7000 hours)
    3. Two medical mission trips in undergraduate
    4. 3 months as scribe (~360 hours)
  7. Research experience
    1. 1-year PTE (20hr/wk) as researcher (~1000 hours)
    2. No publications, 2 poster presentations
    3. Trained other students on laboratory techniques
  8. Shadowing
    1. ER Shadowing ~150 hours
    2. FM DO Shadowing ~50 hours
    3. Plastic Surgery Shadowing ~20 hours and ongoing
  9. Non-Clinical Volunteering
    1. This area is spotty, mostly participated in volunteering with organizations I was a part of, and just here-and-there over the years.
    2. Habitat for Humanity / River clean ups / Food bank
    3. ~200 hours (probably an underestimation but it’s difficult to piece it all together)
  10. Extracurriculars
    1. Microbiology Society – 2 years during school
      1. Vice President in second year
    2. Pre-medical / Pre-medical society – 3.5 years during school
    3. Medical Explorers – 3 years during school
    4. Phi Sigma Pi co-ed Honors Fraternity – 2 years during school
    5. Bobcat Build (community clean-up organization) – One year
    6. Functional Bio TA/tutor – 1 year
    7. Physics lab instructor – 1 year
    8. U.S. Army Reserve – Intelligence Analyst
      1. Attained rank of Sergeant
      2. One deployment to Afghanistan – 10 months
        1. Deployed with JSOC (joint special operations command)
      3. 99 ASVAB / 300 PT score (both max scores, unsure if this should really be mentioned anywhere though)
    9. Worked as laboratory tech at pharmaceutical company – 5 years
      1. 1.5 years night shift
      2. 3.5 years 2nd shift
        1. Volunteered to go (but was paid) to Liberia to train native laboratory techs on an Ebola Project. Spent ~6 months abroad on two trips.
        2. Promoted to Lead Lab Tech, held position for ~2 years
          1. Led a team of ~12 techs to handle daily operations.
    10. Moved to Colorado and worked as medical lab tech in a family medicine clinic, later promoted to laboratory manager.
      1. Upon first being promoted to manager, filled both the role as lab tech and lab manager for ~6 months, working open to close 5 days a week for approximately 60 hours each week until I hired a competent laboratory tech. The clinic is situated in the mountains and is technically classified as a rural area with a high COL, which helps explain the difficulty in hiring.

Members don't see this ad.

If you qualify for Texas residency that would be a better choice than Colorado (which has only 1 MD school)
You are competitive for all DO schools. Your ECs are very good so you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
How long had you lived in Texas/Colorado? How long were you in the Army, and how does this fit the timeline above?

You shouldn't be spending so much money on 40 schools. Find the schools that best fit what you are looking for and best value your intended mission as a physician and a veteran/reservist.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long had you lived in Texas/Colorado? How long were you in the Army, and how does this fit the timeline above?

You shouldn't be spending so much money on 40 schools. Find the schools that best fit what you are looking for and best value your intended mission as a physician and a veteran/reservist.
I grew up in Texas, and my understanding is that I will always have in-state residency there, and have lived in Colorado for the past few years.

I joined the army midway through college and later deployed the autumn after graduating with my B.S., way back in 2014.

Thanks for the advice, I should go read more thoroughly through the mission and vision of various programs, up til now many of them seemed vague and cookie cutter so I did not give them much thought.

I grew up in Texas, and my understanding is that I will always have in-state residency there, and have lived in Colorado for the past few years.

I joined the army midway through college and later deployed the autumn after graduating with my B.S., way back in 2014.

Thanks for the advice, I should go read more thoroughly through the mission and vision of various programs, up til now many of them seemed vague and cookie cutter so I did not give them much thought.
Read

I just wanted to say - thank you for your continued commitment to others through both service and soon medicine! You are amazing!

Reactions: 2 users
I just wanted to say - thank you for your continued commitment to others through both service and soon medicine! You are amazing!
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words! My transition in professions did largely come from a desire to serve in a different capacity - from serving my country to serving people directly.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users