MD WAMC/School List (3.76 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 506-->515)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonkad5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I will have taken 2 gap years by the time I apply in 2024 (3 by the time of matriculation). My completed hours are fully completed, and "projected" is from today until matriculation in August of 2025. My first MCAT attempt was in college, however was unaware of AAMC resources. Upon graduating, I got the FAP and re-took it at a reduced price. I now have a valid FAP for the 2024-2025 cycle.

cGPA and sGPA: biochemistry major 3.76 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, strong upward trend
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 506 (127/124/125/130) --> 515 (129/126/130/130)
State of residence: MN
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM - white
Undergraduate institution or category: mid-sized private
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • 2500 completed hours, 500 projected (from May 2022-Present) - ED Scribe
  • 400 completed hours, 100 projected (October 2021-present) - Hospital volunteering
  • 50 completed hours - (October 2021- October 2023) Hospice volunteering
Research experience and productivity
  • 1200 completed hours (September 2019 - May 2022) - Research in UG related to my major, manuscript under review for pub - 1 national conference with conference abstract, 2 school-wide symposia
  • 2000 completed hours, 1500 projected (May 2023 - Present) - Immunology, manuscript under review for pub
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • 80 hours over the past 1.5 years - half being EM, none in primary care
Non-clinical volunteering
  • 200 completed hours, 120 projected (October 2021 - Present) - Assistant at a homeless shelter where we clean their feet, give shoes, provide dinner
  • 60 hours (Summer of 2022) - Camp counselor for middle and high schoolers with the same chronic illness. Was only 1 week but impactful for me.
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • 200 completed hours (September 2019 - May 2022) - Peer Mentor for URM and first-generation students
  • 120 hours (During Undergrad) - Teaching Assistant
  • Fine Arts Club: Vice President during Undergrad.
  • Musician in a college ensemble throughout UG. Traveled the world. Ton of stories.
  • Fun personal hobby listed on AMCAS
  • Strong LOR - 2 science, 1 fine arts, 1 M.D.
Relevant honors or awards
  • Teaching award from the chemistry department, 1 of 6 people chosen for highest scholarship in chem department, 1x health professions scholarship, Magna Latin, Deans List
Anything else not listed you think might be important
  • I am first generation, Fee Assistance Recipient, SES, EO1
  • Since I graduated in May 2022, I worked full-time as an ED scribe for 1 year, then dropped to casual while picking up full-time immunology research. I still volunteer at the homeless shelter and hospital.
  • I have slight preference for staying in state, however will ultimately go where I get accepted.
School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper
Creighton
Donald and Barbara SOM at Hofstra/Northwell
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Quinnipiac
Geisel at Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth
Georgetown
George Washington
Hackensack
Lewis Katz at Temple
Loma Linda
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Rush
Saint Louis
Sydney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
Colorado
Miami Miller
U Michigan
U Minnesota (the only IS school I am applying to)
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cooper and Geisinger admit few applicants with no connection to the state or region. You could add these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Belmont
NOVA MD

The template didn't help me develop a timeline of your activities. You have done 2 gap years when you apply, or one? Are you projecting activities in this inventory? Only the hours and activities you describe as completed or in progress count, not planned for the future. So, are the ones you say "1 year" future activities when you submit your application? If not, are they ongoing or further in the past?

Are you first generation? I presume with the FAP, you used it for MCAT prep and will for your application (hence choose 20 programs). Is there a specific heritage or nationality that you closely identify with as an ORM applicant? How important is it to be near your family?

The template didn't help me develop a timeline of your activities. You have done 2 gap years when you apply, or one? Are you projecting activities in this inventory? Only the hours and activities you describe as completed or in progress count, not planned for the future. So, are the ones you say "1 year" future activities when you submit your application? If not, are they ongoing or further in the past?

Are you first generation? I presume with the FAP, you used it for MCAT prep and will for your application (hence choose 20 programs). Is there a specific heritage or nationality that you closely identify with as an ORM applicant? How important is it to be near your family?
Hi Mr.Smile12 - Thank you so much for your time reading and replying to my post! Also thank you for pointing out the formatting -- this is my first post on SDN so sorry about that.

1. I edited my post to make it clear what is completed hours and what are projected hours and what both of those mean. I also added the time period I am/was involved in each activity as it would look like on AMCAS.
2. I graduated college in May of 2022. By the time I apply to medical schools year 2024 that will be approx. 2 years elapsed post-college. Add on one more year until the time of matriculation = approx 3 years. I hope that makes sense!
3. Since I graduated college in May 2022, I worked full-time as an ED scribe for 1 year, then dropped that to "casual" while I began full-time immunology research. I scribe on weekends while doing research M-F. I still volunteer at the homeless shelter and hospital >2x per month.
4. You are correct - I am first generation. I actually did not know about FAP until my gap year when I re-took my MCAT.
5. I identify as white/caucasion
6. Family is important, but given that I am only applying to the U of MN (not Mayo), I realize the high likelihood that this may not work out and I am open to moving to any state.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about my timeline. I hope this clarifies the course of my pre-med journey and I look forward to hearing what you think!

Last edited: