WAMC non-trad career changer (3.55cGPA, 3.57sGPA, 4.0 Postbac, 517MCAT). School List is Killing Me.. Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor...I_hope

Reaction score
State of residence: TX

Ties to other states (if applicable): Born and went to undergrad in Chicago, currently doing working in TX

URM? (Y/N): Yes- Black male

Undergraduate school: Private school in Chicago

Undergraduate major(s)/minor(s): Chemical Engineering

Cumulative GPA / sGPA: 3.55/3.57

Postbacc GPA: 4.0

MCAT Score: 517 (131/128/129/129)

**Gap years?:**12 years career-changer, graduated in Aug. 2011.

Institutional actions?: None

First application cycle? (If no, explain): Yes

**Specialty of interest (if applicable):**Cardiology, Gastro, Surgery

Interest in rural health?: No
Extracurricular Background:

Research experience:

-Private Industry engineering research and development- mostly data analysis and presentation to stakeholders - 12000 hrs ( 2019 to date)- In company presentation and publications ( will not enter as pubs or presentation in AMCAS)

-Engineering research re-purposing community power plant in college. Presented and published report in school repository. (~100 hours)

-

Publications?: No, but presentation like described above.

Clinical experience:

- 300+ hours as volunteer medical assistant/ scribe in private practice (gastro)

Physician shadowing 50hrs gastro, 15hrs general surgery _ Planned shadowing with cardiology and urology

Non-clinical experience:

- Worked for a oil & gas service company with multiple leadership roles, Mentoring and promotions ( 40,000+ hrs)

- Midway technician ( ticket refills and fixed games) at Dave and Buster's (3000 hrs) while in school ( 2007-2011)

- TA for mathematics for ACT and College Algebra (100hrs)

- Volunteer: 1st generation immigrants advising on the transition from international high school to College in USA at the local Mosque ( 2008-2016) -300hrs

School list

All TMDSAS Schools

Mayo

Northwestern

Stanford ( just shooting my shot)

Emory

UChicago

Harvard ( just shooting my shot)

UCLA

UMichigan

Washington St. Louis

Kaiser

Icahn

Brown

Tuft

Carle

Rosalind

U of Wisconsin Madison

Morehouse

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Duke
Cornell
Columbia
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
U Penn

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You MIGHT need to demonstrate service orientation. Maximize your mission fit by getting involved locally.

Check out Texas A&M EnMed... if they don't come knocking... do your best!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it