DO WAMC, Non-Traditional Student 27 y/o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjv123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • State/Country of Residence: CT
  • Ties to other States/Regions: NY (resident for 18 years), PA (Brother is a physician who works there)
  • URM? (Y/N): No - Asian American
  • Year in School: Graduated in 2016,
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology Major / Chem Minor - 2016
  • Post Bacc: Completed a DIY postbacc at a 4 year university (2019 - 2020) with 32 credits - 4.0 consisting of upper level sciences. Did not repeat pre-med core classes.
  • Cumulative GPA: AACOMAS Without post bacc 3.1x / with post bac 3.3x
  • Science GPA: AACOMAS - Without post bacc sGPA 2.7x / with post bacc 3.1x
  • MCAT Score(s): 506 (125,125,128,128) planning on retake
  • Research Experience: None (Just basic lab experience as a Lab technician - 2 years)
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ER Medical Scribe for 4 years, with being Chief Scribe for 2 years (over 3500 hours)
  • Physician Shadowing: Was able to shadow during my time as a scribe
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 + hours teaching children in need, majority of the hours were obtained while teaching students during COVID (in-person with proper safety protocols). Worked with the same organization in other various volunteering roles for 3 years.
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: I help out with fundraising events with the same Children's Hospital where I was admitted when I was 10 ( I have a chronic genetic disorder).
  • Other Employment History: Paid - Teacher's assistant for early child hood education during college (2 years), Laboratory Technician,
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y - Sibling is an attending that is involved with their residency program at their hospital
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Primary Care or Pediatrics
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
  • Medical School List: Only DO schools, will be applying to any that I have a chance at.
  • Unique Story: I have a genetic condition along with my twin brother, which affected by undergrad academic performance (Twin brother had to undergo liver transplants as a result of our disease). I am now taking better care of myself and hope to help others in similar circumstances. Shared more about this in my Personal Statement

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Goro ,
Thank you for everything you do for this forum. I greatly appreciate it.

If I am applying to DO schools only, given my gpa, ECs, and reinvention (post-bacc work), do you think I should retake my MCAT (506) or should I just apply early?

Much appreciation for your time and help!

Do not retake for DO!
APPLY!
Thank you again for your great advice, I will heed to your words and apply early for 2021-2022 cycle. Much appreciation for taking the time to respond and for your help!

Reactions: 1 user