WAMC, ORM, MD, 2.7 Undergrad sGPA, 3.6 sGPA Postbacc, 495 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1167492

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
Applying to primarily DO schools

Undergraduate GPA 3.1 GPA 2.7 sGPA

3.6 Post-Bacc GPA (official post-bacc (7 courses) + courses at CC (4 courses))
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
495 123/123/125/124

Retaking Aug or Sept, target score 505+

If higher, I would consider apply to my state MD school
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Maryland
  1. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian American
  1. Undergraduate institution or category: College in Washington DC, Humanities major with Pre-Med courses completed
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Hospital Volunteer (100 hours)

Medical Assistant (150 hours, volunteer)

Patient Care Assistant (300 hours, non-volunteer)

Cancer Camp counselor (50 hours, volunteer)

Chapter leader for a program working with pediatric patients (200+ hours, volunteer)

Research experience and productivity

Post-grad clinical research at hospital (100+hours, volunteer), Poster Presentation

Undergraduate research in neuroendocrinology (100 hours, volunteer)
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Shadowed GI doctor (recommendation letter received)
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
Foreign language assistant teacher (500+hours, volunteer)

Radio DJ at hospital (100 hours, volunteer)

Research Intern at Plastic Surgery clinic (wrote articles for patient education, 100+ hours, volunteer)

Internship in Health Care Policy/Advocacy (100 hours, volunteer)
  1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Gap year (worked as PCA, Clinical Research, published a book, non-volunteer)

Private tutor (100+hours, non-volunteer)

College newspaper writer (published 5+articles, volunteer)

Church student leader + volunteering + orchestra (4 years,100+hours, volunteer)

Pet sitter (100+hours, non-volunteer)

Federal Work Study job (3 years, needed to work to pay for college)
  1. Relevant honors or awards: Published poetry in a magazine and published a book, TED talk at university event
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
No family members in medicine

Currently finding work as a PCA (part-time) and in Clinical Research, interested in publishing a paper

Focused on schools in an urban area (or near a city) with solid research opportunities. Interested in Internal Medicine or Ophthalmology. Preferably P/F curriculum with NBME-style exams.

Highly interested in medical humanities/science writing, medical volunteering through free clinics (or establishing free clinics), and possibly academia/research

School List (Would like to stay in the Northeast, primarily focused on DO schools)

PCOM (Philly and Georgia), top choice

Touro (NY)

NYIT

UNECOM

Rowan SOM

NSU

Midwestern

MSU(?)

LUCOM

VCOM

DMU COM

Possibly any MD schools in MD, DC, VA, PA?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Midwester, DMU, Rowan, NSU and MSU should be removed, their MCAT averages are high. Focus on newer DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At this time, don't apply. Your metrics will get you screened out. Remember schools tend to average MCAT scores to screen, and I don't know if your transcript shows enough to get into an SMP, which I think you must take for a shot. (Though if you have any other information on your transcript like an upward GPA trend, I can be persuaded to give you different advice. )

Reactions: 1 user
At this time, don't apply. Your metrics will get you screened out. Remember schools tend to average MCAT scores to screen, and I don't know if your transcript shows enough to get into an SMP, which I think you must take for a shot. (Though if you have any other information on your transcript like an upward GPA trend, I can be persuaded to give you different advice. )
Yes all of my post-bacc, post-grad grades are an upward trend (mainly B+/A grades) I can also take more courses to raise the GPA more, but I was in a very rigorous formal post-bacc and can vouch for my upward trend/work ethic. I do not think an SMP is feasible since that would cost more money, I think a higher MCAT score would be my best bet.

2.96 sGPA and 3.35 GPA
Take enough additional undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 to avoid being screened out. You will also need to retake the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. The GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools shows that you only have a ~20% chance for an acceptance with your current stats. That would increase to 40% with a MCAT of 500. Post your new score here when available.

Take enough additional undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 to avoid being screened out. You will also need to retake the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. The GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools shows that you only have a ~20% chance for an acceptance with your current stats. That would increase to 40% with a MCAT of 500. Post your new score here when available.
Would they consider my GPA even if I am taking the course right now?

Yes all of my post-bacc, post-grad grades are an upward trend (mainly B+/A grades) I can also take more courses to raise the GPA more, but I was in a very rigorous formal post-bacc and can vouch for my upward trend/work ethic. I do not think an SMP is feasible since that would cost more money, I think a higher MCAT score would be my best bet.
As pointed out, you will need both to get you in a better position for an interview. If you don't get in with a higher MCAT, when will you consider an SMP? Next cycle?