WAMC, Pre-Dental 3rd year, cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.86, Applying this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytsunami27

Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.87
Cumulative science GPA: 3.86
UC GPA: 3.66
UC Science GPA: 3.65
Biochem-physics GPA: 3.71
I’m a transfer from a CC, don’t know if that matters or not but there’s the stats^^
DAT score: (thinking about retaking it Mid-June lmk your suggestions though and if it will affect my chances with the school’s decision Bc I believe I could do better)
PAT: 21
QR: 18
RC: 19
BIO: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19
State of residence: California

Undergrad Attend: UCLA
Major: Psychobiology
Minor: none
Minority Middle Eastern (I don’t think it’s a minority though)
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing experience: 125 hours consisting of orthodontist, oral surgeon, and general dentist
Volunteer Experience: 250 hours of volunteer experience. Volunteered at a hospital in the emergency room and food drives/community clean up/community service
Employment: Dental Assistant for 2 years, still working
Research hours: none (but I’m trying to get a position for this spring quarter)
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society Club, Mentor club, Middle Eastern Student Club, Community Service Dental Club, Religious Toleration Club, Genocide & Relief Awareness Club
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: Dentist I work with (strong), Oral Surgeon I shadowed (strong) , O chem Professor (mediocre), Psychology Professor (strong)
Misc Info: Going to Guatemala at the end of this month for 9 days with doctors to give free dental and health care to unfortunate communities/villages
School List: no specific one, would like to stay local near the state of California if possible. UCSF would be amazing, I’m interested in all the Southern California dental schools, University of Michigan, University of Buffalo, University of Pennsylvania, any Arizona Dental Schools

Members don't see this ad.

Cumulative GPA: 3.87
Cumulative science GPA: 3.86
UC GPA: 3.66
UC Science GPA: 3.65
Biochem-physics GPA: 3.71
I’m a transfer from a CC, don’t know if that matters or not but there’s the stats^^
DAT score: (thinking about retaking it Mid-June lmk your suggestions though and if it will affect my chances with the school’s decision Bc I believe I could do better)
PAT: 21
QR: 18
RC: 19
BIO: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19
State of residence: California

Undergrad Attend: UCLA
Major: Psychobiology
Minor: none
Minority Middle Eastern (I don’t think it’s a minority though)
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing experience: 125 hours consisting of orthodontist, oral surgeon, and general dentist
Volunteer Experience: 250 hours of volunteer experience. Volunteered at a hospital in the emergency room and food drives/community clean up/community service
Employment: Dental Assistant for 2 years, still working
Research hours: none (but I’m trying to get a position for this spring quarter)
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society Club, Mentor club, Middle Eastern Student Club, Community Service Dental Club, Religious Toleration Club, Genocide & Relief Awareness Club
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: Dentist I work with (strong), Oral Surgeon I shadowed (strong) , O chem Professor (mediocre), Psychology Professor (strong)
Misc Info: Going to Guatemala at the end of this month for 9 days with doctors to give free dental and health care to unfortunate communities/villages
School List: no specific one, would like to stay local near the state of California if possible. UCSF would be amazing, I’m interested in all the Southern California dental schools, University of Michigan, University of Buffalo, University of Pennsylvania, any Arizona Dental Schools
if you don't retake, you will need to expand your list a lot
ucsf, ucla, umich, upenn are in the 6-8 most difficult schools to get into...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't retake, you will need to expand your list a lot
ucsf, ucla, umich, upenn are in the 6-8 most difficult schools to get into...
Do you think I should expand on all aspects of the extra curriculars, or any specific ones?

Do you think I should expand on all aspects of the extra curriculars, or any specific ones?

macsak meant expand your school list. Your combined GPA is great and even your UCLA GPA is still spot on for your school list, but your DAT is well below average for all of the schools you are interested in other than ASDOH and Western.

You certainly have a chance at the competitive schools as your GPA and extracurriculars look great. But from an outsider's perspective, your below average DAT score hurts your chances significantly. If you only apply to the schools you have mentioned, the worst case scenario (not getting in anywhere) is possible--although a very small chance in my opinion.

If I were you I would certainly retake the DAT, as a 22+ with the rest of your stats would put you in the mix with the most competitive applicants for UCLA and UCSF--which would be my top choices if I lived in CA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would add UNLV to your list, your GPA is excellent and your DAT is right around their averages. You can also get in state tuition after a year I believe so it’s a good deal, and it’s close to your home state. If you choose to not retake just make sure to apply broadly as was said above and you should be golden!

Reactions: 1 user