WAMC/ school list - 3.76/511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yurrrmeee

Reaction score
Currently preparing for 2024-25 cycle and was wondering if I had a good chance of getting accepted or not.

3.78cGPA(very strong upward trend since Freshman year) ,
511 MCAT(128,125,130,128)--3rd attempt (495,494 on other attempts)(how much would this hurt my app???)
ORM, Low SES, FAP recipient, white, Illinois resident, graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago.

• Paid Clinical experience as a MA- 800 hrs(at 2 different clinics)
  • in person shadowing-100 hrs
  • tutoring highschool students-700hrs
  • leadership at a fast food chain +4000hrs(worked all 4 years of undergrad at same establishment)
  • undergrad research assistant +120hrs
  • 3 very close LORs (1 from MD, 2 from science professors, working on a 4th from another science professor but we arent super close)
I am applying to 30-35 MD schools and still working on the list. Any suggestions/ modifications are appreciated
School list:
OOS:

The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
western michigan
OAKland
East Virginia
quinnipiac
MCW
Saint louis
Nova
university of cali, LA David
Drexel
George washington
USC greenville
Pennstate
Virginia commonwealth
geisinger commonwealth
Pittsburgh
case western reserve
IS:
UIC
southern illinois
Rush
loyola
Rosalind
Carle illinois
Pritzker
Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many of the schools you have listed are unrealistic with a 511, before accounting for the fact that it was on your 3rd attempt. Others take few to no OOS students who don’t have a tie such as attending undergrad in that state (Geisinger, South Carolina).

If you do not have any non-clinical volunteering that isn’t tutoring, you will need to add some DO schools as most of the ones at your stat range emphasize helping those less fortunate. Many of them may find it hard to look past your prior two scores.

I suggest:

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
SIU (only if from south of I-80 or a rural area)
UIC
Carle (only if an engineering/CS major)
Tufts
Vermont
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Nova MD
Oakland
Wayne State
Quinnipiac
Penn State
George Washington
Belmont
MCW
NYMC
Albany
Any other MD schools that open (ie Alice Walton)

For DO:
CCOM
Marian
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)
LECOM
PCOM
DMU
NYIT
ACOM

Reactions: 1 user
Three MCAT attempts: usually schools average all MCAT attempts for screening. I am hopeful that some programs will notice your superior performance and advance your application on that score. It should be noted on the MSAR.

• leadership at a fast food chain +4000hrs(worked all 4 years of undergrad at same establishment)

Help me: what do you mean by "leadership" in this situation? Did you become a general manager? Did you coordinate distributing leftovers to local shelters? More details can help here, especially if this is a significant factor to consider for your undergraduate experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three MCAT attempts: usually schools average all MCAT attempts for screening. I am hopeful that some programs will notice your superior performance and advance your application on that score. It should be noted on the MSAR.

Help me: what do you mean by "leadership" in this situation? Did you become a general manager? Did you coordinate distributing leftovers to local shelters? More details can help here, especially if this is a significant factor to consider for your undergraduate experience.
Yes I was a general manager and was next in charge after the owner. Opening/closing, making schedules, hiring/firing. Since I needed the money to support my education and my family, this job was the main factor in helping me improve my time management and leadership skills(not to mention I was always one of the younger employees so I had to work on my professionalism). I just remembered that we did distribute food to nearby shelters many times annually so I could add that in.

Currently preparing for 2024-25 cycle and was wondering if I had a good chance of getting accepted or not.

3.78cGPA(very strong upward trend since Freshman year) ,
511 MCAT(128,125,130,128)--3rd attempt (495,494 on other attempts)(how much would this hurt my app???)
ORM, Low SES, FAP recipient, white, Illinois resident, graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago.

• Paid Clinical experience as a MA- 800 hrs(at 2 different clinics)
  • in person shadowing-100 hrs
  • tutoring highschool students-700hrs
  • undergrad research assistant +120hrs
  • 3 very close LORs (1 from MD, 2 from science professors, working on a 4th from another science professor but we arent super close)
I am applying to 30-35 MD schools and still working on the list. Any suggestions/ modifications are appreciated
School list:
OOS:

The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
Many of the schools you have listed are unrealistic with a 511, before accounting for the fact that it was on your 3rd attempt. Others take few to no OOS students who don’t have a tie such as attending undergrad in that state (Geisinger, South Carolina).

If you do not have any non-clinical volunteering that isn’t tutoring, you will need to add some DO schools as most of the ones at your stat range emphasize helping those less fortunate. Many of them may find it hard to look past your prior two scores.

I suggest:

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
SIU (only if from south of I-80 or a rural area)
UIC
Carle (only if an engineering/CS major)
Tufts
Vermont
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Nova MD
Oakland
Wayne State
Quinnipiac
Penn State
George Washington
Belmont
MCW
NYMC
Albany
Any other MD schools that open (ie Alice Walton)

For DO:
CCOM
Marian
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)
LECOM
PCOM
DMU
NYIT
ACOM

western michigan
OAKland
East Virginia
quinnipiac
MCW
Saint louis
Nova
university of cali, LA David
Drexel
George washington
USC greenville
Pennstate
Virginia commonwealth
geisinger commonwealth
Pittsburgh
case western reserve
IS:
UIC
southern illinois
Rush
loyola
Rosalind
Carle illinois
Pritzker
Northwester
Thank you for the reply! As I said, I'm still working on the list and still not sure what to look for in schools so I will definitely look into your suggestions. I am currently volunteering with a company that distributes clothes to the homeless, and I mentioned in my other reply that we often worked with food shelters during specific times of the year(every holiday or whenever we had an extensive amount of leftovers due to big orders getting canceled). would adding these help my application alot?

Thank you for the reply! As I said, I'm still working on the list and still not sure what to look for in schools so I will definitely look into your suggestions. I am currently volunteering with a company that distributes clothes to the homeless, and I mentioned in my other reply that we often worked with food shelters during specific times of the year(every holiday or whenever we had an extensive amount of leftovers due to big orders getting canceled). would adding these help my application alot?
Calculate your hours honestly where you had to do this. It can help.

Distributing clothes to the homeless may help with the MD schools I listed. Perhaps less so for donating the food to the shelter, but still include detail about your part in facilitating that.