(WAMC/School List) FL, ORM, 3.1cGPA, 2.95sGPA, 3.5 graduate GPA, 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zach123!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.1cGPA, 2.95sGPA at UCF
3.5 graduate GPA (1 semester left with easier classes) in Biomed Sciences masters program
503 MCAT (124/126/126/127) - previous tries were 497 and 498
ORM, Florida native

I will be applying for the second time. I previously applied to 23 schools (17 DO, 6 MD) and received all rejections, most of them after submitting secondaries. Since my last application, I have started graduate school and currently have a 3.5. I am also hoping to obtain a research internship offered for the summer from my graduate school, but that is not guaranteed. I have considered retaking my MCAT, as I was very immature when I took it beforehand, and I took the test without taking biochemistry. I have since taken biochemistry, microbiology, physiology, and immunology in my graduate program and believe this would potentially benefit me for the MCAT, but I am unsure if taking the test for a fourth time would do me much good.

Clinical
- 3400 hours as an Operating Room assistant at level I trauma center
- 1300 hours as an Anesthesia tech at robotics-heavy teaching hospital
- 400 shadowing hours between various specialties

Research: *hoping to obtain a research internship offered for the summer from my graduate school, but no guarantee

Nonclinical
- Worked 35 hours per week for 3 years in my undergrad at a bank. Had to support myself and my brother throughout school
- 300 hours of volunteering at local assisted living facility

I understand my application is probably too weak for MD schools, even with my masters degree. I was not only immature in undergrad, but I was also working a lot, sometimes up to 50 hours per week while being a full time student and studying for the MCAT. My GPA has a decent upward trend, as I was a business major with a 2.6 gpa (100 credits in) and ended with a 3.1. I have letters of recommendation from 2 surgeons, 2 science professors, and 1 non-science professor.

Any advice (and schools to apply to) would be greatly appreciated. @Faha @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats but you will need to apply broadly and I suggest these schools:
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
LECOM (all schools)
KansasCOM (new school)
Noorda-COM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats but you will need to apply broadly and I suggest these schools:
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
LECOM (all schools)
KansasCOM (new school)
Noorda-COM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you for the list

What about NOVA? They are an in-state school and that is where I am doing my master's.

Would retaking the MCAT and scoring a 510+ significantly boost my chances? Now that I have taken some of these graduate courses, I feel that my science background is much more sufficient for attaining a good score.

How is your program director in the grad masters program supporting you? Does this person think you are ready to apply or need some improvement?
I will personally reach out to them tomorrow and try to arrange a meeting. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the list

What about NOVA? They are an in-state school and that is where I am doing my master's.

Would retaking the MCAT and scoring a 510+ significantly boost my chances? Now that I have taken some of these graduate courses, I feel that my science background is much more sufficient for attaining a good score.
Your stats are not competitive for NOVA. A higher MCAT would increase your chances for interviews at the schools I listed.

Your stats are not competitive for NOVA. A higher MCAT would increase your chances for interviews at the schools I listed.
I notice you listed KansasCOM - don't they require a minimum cumulative gpa of a 3.2? My undergrad cGPA was a 3.1

You will have to check individual requirements. These schools are more likely to consider your app given they are newer, but you will have to double check each one. The sub 3.0 sGPA may make it worth it to reach out in advance too to see if that will be an issue.

Last edited: