MD & DO WAMC/School list help! 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out a rough list of schools so I can start doing some research about their curriculums and what I need to do to before I apply next summer.

I really like the DO philosophy, but I am also applying to my in state MD schools. (IS Tuition $$)

White male - non URM
Michigan resident
Interested in primary care
Nutrition major and Spanish minor
Starting my senior year

MCAT: 29 (8, 11, 10)
cGPA: ~3.6
aacomas sGPA: ~3.45
aamc sGPA: ~ 3.3 <-- No nutrition classes in the science gpa :(

ECs (Estimated numbers by the time I apply)

• ~150-200 hours of clinical volunteering in a major teaching hospital
  • ~100 hours non clinical volunteering
  • 50 hours of shadowing physicians (2 DOs, 1 MD)
  • 3 semesters of research in a nutrition lab (no publications)
  • Active membership in a premed student organization
  • Biology team leader for one semester
  • Internship with a family services organization in a medically underserved area
  • Founder and president of a club sports team at my university
  • 4 years of playing IM sports in which I was the captain of my teams :)

School list I've come up with:

Top 2:
MSUCOM
Wayne State School of Medicine (MD school, but I'm in undergrad here and they give their own students preference)

MD list:
MSU CHM
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland University

DO list:
CCOM
PCOM
KCUMB
NSU
KCOM
LECOM - Erie and Bradenton
LMU - DCOM

* Was thinking of the Touros in NY and CA, but not sure yet. Haven't really looked up anything about the schools so far.

Am I applying broadly enough? I know the low sGPA might be a red flag at the MD schools, but I figured I'd try anyway. Hopefully I can get some love next cycle! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure you will get accepted to several DO schools on your list but I suggest you add a few more MD schools as well like Rosalind Franklin, Quinnipiac, Jefferson, Creighton, Drexel, Virginia Commonwealth University etc. also make sure you submit your AMCAS and AACOMAS in early June. Pre-write your secondaries in June and submit your secondaries within a week of receiving them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping that maybe @Goro can help me with my DO list a bit? Maybe even chime in on MD if you don't mind :)

You're fine for any DO school. For MD schools, definitely try Wayne State and all the new MI schools, plus Penn State, Netter, Rush, Tufts, MCW, VCU, EVMS, SLU and Drexel.

I'm just trying to figure out a rough list of schools so I can start doing some research about their curriculums and what I need to do to before I apply next summer.

I really like the DO philosophy, but I am also applying to my in state MD schools. (IS Tuition $$)

White male - non URM
Michigan resident
Interested in primary care
Nutrition major and Spanish minor
Starting my senior year

MCAT: 29
cGPA: ~3.6
aacomas sGPA: ~3.45
aamc sGPA: ~ 3.3 <-- No nutrition classes in the science gpa :(

ECs (Estimated numbers by the time I apply)

• ~150-200 hours of clinical volunteering in a major teaching hospital
  • ~100 hours non clinical volunteering
  • 50 hours of shadowing physicians (2 DOs, 1 MD)
  • 3 semesters of research in a nutrition lab (no publications)
  • Active membership in a premed student organization
  • Biology team leader for one semester
  • Internship with a family services organization in a medically underserved area
  • Founder and president of a club sports team at my university
  • 4 years of playing IM sports in which I was the captain of my teams :)

School list I've come up with:

Top 2:
MSUCOM
Wayne State School of Medicine (MD school, but I'm in undergrad here and they give their own students preference)

MD list:
MSU CHM
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland University

DO list:
CCOM
PCOM
KCUMB
NSU
KCOM
LECOM - Erie and Bradenton
LMU - DCOM

* Was thinking of the Touros in NY and CA, but not sure yet. Haven't really looked up anything about the schools so far.

Am I applying broadly enough? I know the low sGPA might be a red flag at the MD schools, but I figured I'd try anyway. Hopefully I can get some love next cycle! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! :)

Wow thanks for the vote of confidence @Goro and @SkipJunior! I guess I have plenty of things to look up now!

Reactions: 1 user