WAMC/School List help 520, cGPA 3.94 sGPA 3.96, Low ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSamurai

Reaction score
*PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE*

cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.96
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 520 (131/129/130/130)
State of residence or country of citizenship: IL (not yet a citizen but have a PRC/Green Card and will become eligible for citizenship soon)
Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
Undergraduate institution or category: Low prestige state school
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Volunteering at hospital and hospice: combined 350 hours acquired over two years, outpatient nephrologist scribe: about 100 hours (recently started the job).
Research experience and productivity: 300 hours research as an undergrad (no posters or publications).
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Internal medicine, 70 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: None
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Soccer
Relevant honors or awards: deans lists
Anything else not listed you think might be important: FAP recipient, grew up in a medically undeserved region.

I feel my extracurricular activities are not as stellar as some other posters here, but I can only be optimistic! I will be applying via AMCAS, TMDSAS, and AACOMAS, so I want a school list recommendation for Texas schools and DO schools as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your complete lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews. The Texas schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Illinois
Southern Illinois (if you are from Central or Southern Illinois)
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
Iowa
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Tufts
UMass
Vermont

You shouldn't need to apply for DO with a 520. Do your homework with mission fit.

No nonclinical volunteering puts your app at risk for getting screened out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your complete lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews. The Texas schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Illinois
Southern Illinois (if you are from Central or Southern Illinois)
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
Iowa
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Tufts
UMass
Vermont
Thank you! I still want to apply to Texas, do I really have no shot at it? If I do, I would want to apply to at least 3 schools which are the best fit for me, also, which DO schools should I apply to? I will have an MD LOR, not DO, so schools which value that will probably screen me out.

Thank you!

You shouldn't need to apply for DO with a 520. Do your homework with mission fit.

No nonclinical volunteering puts your app at risk for getting screened out.
Thank you, will do this, can you advise on how to in more detail? (I know I should be reading the missions and values of these schools and decide where I have the best odds of an invitation to interview but want to know what are the things I should be doing with it/how should I tailor my app-I am a bit clueless haha).

Thank you! I still want to apply to Texas, do I really have no shot at it? If I do, I would want to apply to at least 3 schools which are the best fit for me, also, which DO schools should I apply to? I will have an MD LOR, not DO, so schools which value that will probably screen me out.

Thank you!
Their OOS slots go to applicants with both strong stats (which you have) and strong ECs (since the low tuition is enticing and can beat so-called top schools). UTSW and Baylor look for a lot of research.

If you fit A&M's EnMed (engineering focus), are fluent in Spanish, or have rural experience (for the TMDSAS schools in rural areas), that would help. Otherwise, not worth creating and submitting a completely separate app on TMDSAS.

Do not apply DO.

Thank you!
With your stats, you’ll probably have a better chance with the high stats Texas schools as opposed to more middle of the road schools. These would include Baylor, UT-Southwestern and UT-San Antonio. All heavily prefer TX residents, however.

Thank you, will do this, can you advise on how to in more detail? (I know I should be reading the missions and values of these schools and decide where I have the best odds of an invitation to interview but want to know what are the things I should be doing with it/how should I tailor my app-I am a bit clueless haha).