WAMC/School List Input 520/4.0/URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzeneToluene

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm writing this post for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'd like input on my school list and opinions on if/what I should add to my school list. I definitely think I applied too top-heavy. I am currently in this year's cycle and was verified 07/31 and had all secondaries complete by first week of August. I've had radio silence so far in the cycle but I do know that given my submission dates, it's too early to expect much. I'm also asking for application feedback and what I should do to strengthen my app(particularly my ECs), should I have to reapply. I was on the fence about applying this cycle and feel very unsure about how good my app realistically is. I appreciate the feedback in advance!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 520- 129/129/132/130
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Georgia residency, but completed undergrad in Florida
  • Ethnicity and/or race: African-American Male
  • Undergraduate institution or category: Large state school in FL
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): My clinical experiences have all been non-volunteer:
  • 600 hrs as a PCT at a large hospital, very hands on for 6 months
  • 400 hrs as a scribe in a variety of out-patient specialities; about 100 hrs as lead scribe, which included a few minor administrative duties and training for 8 months
  • I am about to begin a medical assistant job later this week which will be very hands-on and active.

• Research experience and productivity: 0? I had zero at time of primary submission and have just begun a project under a professor in comparative linguistics. I am not sure how much value this has, and I know this aspect of my app can definitely have me DOA at some schools.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  • 20 hrs in radiology earlier this year over the course of three months
  • 45 hrs in pediatric urology in 2021 over the course of two weeks

• Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hrs in tutoring in the community. I am aware that this aspect of my application is very lacking and I have plans to begin volunteering at a food bank downtown in the next two months.
  • Other relevant activities: I was a lead TA for three biomedical classes over the course of a year and some change for well over a thousand hours. I am also at a good/advanced level in Portuguese and use my language very regularly in my jobs to aid the large Brazilian community in my area. I worked as a cashier for 1000+ hours my freshman year before I switched to pre-med.
  • Relevant honors or awards: None outside of your standard honors roll.
  • Other stuff: Switched from pre-nursing a little over two years ago and am very prepared to discuss the motives behind my career change. I was born into a low SES family and my father is a recovering alcoholic and my mother is a recovering opioid addict. I am currently not considered to be low SES but my parents have struggled massively due to COVID-19, as they're both business owners. As a result, I've spent my entire undergrad career working 30+ hours a week to support myself. I wrote extensively about my desire to serve my African-American community as well as to continue to help the Brazilian and greater Latino community.
  • Casper and Preview scores are still pending. Schools have received Casper scores but I can't see them yet. Preview will be available mid-September.

School List:
-Emory
-Medical College of Georgia
-UF
-UCF
-UMiami(secondary received within 5 hours of submission)
-UCLA(secondary received within 12 hours of submission)
-UCSD(secondary received about a week after submission)
-UCSF(still waiting for secondary)
-Keck
-Kaiser
-Mayo Clinic Alix
-Brown
-Dartmouth
-Sidney Kimmel
-Wayne State
-Georgetown
-Northwestern
-Tufts
-Rutgers RWJ
-Columbia
-NYU Grossman
-Icahn
-Yale
-UPenn

Thank y'all again.

Members don't see this ad.

Your list is not top heavy and you could add these schools:
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Case Western
Harvard
Cincinnati
U Michigan

Your list is not top heavy and you could add these schools:
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Case Western
Harvard
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Thank you so much for the help. I'll be sure to add a couple of these to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Add HBCUs as safeties if you want them, but you're a very strong applicant. You bring diversity; write about that. While affirmative action is technically dead, a lot of schools want a more diverse class. You've also overcome a lot of personal adversity with your father recovering from alcohol use disorder and your mother recovering from opioid use disorder. And your ECs are pretty solid; if the tutoring was for underserved or impoverished individuals that looks solid. Good luck; add some of the schools that Faha suggested.

You are a strong applicant at top-20 schools. Platinum grade rock star. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
You submitted late enough to miss the initial wave of interview invitations I suspect. You could be included in subsequent waves.

You may face the twin dilemmas of (1) yield protection by non-T25s who feel you’re never going to matriculate there and (2) not enough research for the T20s that your stats qualify you for.

Suggestions:
1) bolster your research. At least you’ll have some progress to discuss in your interviews;

2) some non-teaching nonclinical volunteering.

It's been a couple of weeks so what is your Casper result? PREview result should come soon.

What did you put down for Other Impactful Experiences? From what you wrote, you sound like you did not qualify for FAP. I presume you provided answers about COVID-19 impacts when prompted.

The only issue is the non clinical community service. You have done a lot of education with marginalized communities, and there is something to be said about working while in school. Your position would be stronger after 150 hours of food bank.

It's been a couple of weeks so what is your Casper result? PREview result should come soon.

What did you put down for Other Impactful Experiences? From what you wrote, you sound like you did not qualify for FAP. I presume you provided answers about COVID-19 impacts when prompted.

The only issue is the non clinical community service. You have done a lot of education with marginalized communities, and there is something to be said about working while in school. Your position would be stronger after 150 hours of food bank.
I scored 4th quartile on Casper. You’re correct, I did not qualify for FAP but explained my situation in the COVID-19 prompts. I definitely agree with you that non-clinical volunteering is definitely one of the weak aspects of my application. As mentioned in my post, I have concrete plans to start volunteering at a food bank next month.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if it's too early to start worrying about lack of substantial news from schools, but I'm planning out my strategy in case I need to reapply. I have just begun a position in a joint mechanical engineering/biomedical research lab that I plan on doing for 15 hours a week until I finish undergrad in December. I'm also beginning my food bank activity in two weeks for four hours a week. I'm continuing to get paid clinical experience for 25-30 hours a week. Once I graduate in December, I plan to ramp up research hours to 25 hours a week, continue clinical experience for 25 hours a week, and volunteer 8-10 hours a week. I'm also considering getting involved in SNMA for mentorship, particularly if I need to reapply. Does anybody know of any other good mentorship programs for URMs? Upon further research into the med school process, I definitely realize my ECs are pretty lackluster and I definitely should have waited another cycle, so I'm doing everything I can to bolster my chances for next cycle if this one doesn't pan out. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks again.

I'm also considering getting involved in SNMA for mentorship, particularly if I need to reapply. Does anybody know of any other good mentorship programs for URMs?
Most of those mentoring organizations will consist of SNMA members, so once you are connected with them, shop around. No one will be offended if you are part of multiple groups. Knowing the support you would have is the most valuable thing.

That said, also consider Becoming a Student Doctor to complement your preparation. See signature.

Reactions: 1 user