WAMC/School list: Reapp cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoboarders

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.74
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 514 (127,130,128,129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. FL
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. state university
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 700 hours paid scribing
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 300 or more hours leading to 1 published manuscript, 2 published ePoster, and 7 accepted abstracts. All mid author
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 70ish hours with a general surgeon
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Big Brothers Big Sisters 150 hours
    2. Not sure how I should count this next one but it's at a free clinic and I essentially help patients fill out paperwork, but it also includes clinical patient contact. I have 150 hours of this activity.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Surfing
    2. Was a part owner of a small company for a year
    3. Employment at a restaurant, started at host and now a manager
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. None
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Looking at last cycle I think I made 2 pretty big mistakes. The first was casting a small net as I only applied to the FL schools (last year me was a little naive), and the second was that just about all of my volunteering hours were projected (followed the advice of my premed advisor). I still managed to get an interview and WL but no A as of yet so here we are.
My school list is currently ~50 deep and I would like to get that down to 30. I can list all schools if needed but I pretty much just put MSAR on 505-515 and looked for schools that accepted >10% of OOS students (not including historically black or religion-based schools) and I don't really know where to go from there. It's my second cycle and I would like for it to be my last so I'm not putting much thought into reaches. I would also consider some DO schools and I do have a letter of eval from a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Having completed hours this time should help. Ensure you update your PS and secondaries for the FL schools since you have likely gained a lot being part of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

I suggest:
All FL schools
Dartmouth
Vermont
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
VCU
EVMS
Creighton
Saint Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Hackensack
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
George Washington
Oakland
Wayne State
MCW
Quinnipiac
Penn State

Reactions: 1 user
Having completed hours this time should help. Ensure you update your PS and secondaries for the FL schools since you have likely gained a lot being part of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

I suggest:
All FL schools
Dartmouth
Vermont
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
VCU
EVMS
Creighton
Saint Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Hackensack
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
George Washington
Oakland
Wayne State
MCW
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
free clinic and I essentially help patients fill out paperwork, but it also includes clinical patient contact
Since you have a lot of clinical experience hours already, claim it as non-clinical due to the administrative nature of the task, and let others give you some credit for patient-facing activities.

50 schools throws bad money after good. You can be a bit more focused on mission fit. If surfing is that important to you, you may eliminate any of the schools located in non-coastal locations.

For DO schools I would do my research on LECOM and NOVA of course. I don't think you need them if you express your mission fit properly on your application. Good luck on Casper or PREview as appropriate.

Since you have a lot of clinical experience hours already, claim it as non-clinical due to the administrative nature of the task, and let others give you some credit for patient-facing activities.

50 schools throws bad money after good. You can be a bit more focused on mission fit. If surfing is that important to you, you may eliminate any of the schools located in non-coastal locations.

For DO schools I would do my research on LECOM and NOVA of course. I don't think you need them if you express your mission fit properly on your application. Good luck on Casper or PREview as appropriate.

Thank you for the feedback! Appreciate the insights

I would definitely go with chilly_md's list and Mr.Smile12's advice here. Doing well on the CASPer is key for getting your foot in the door at a few of these schools, and although you do have a LOR from a DO, I most likely do not think you will need to add any DO schools given your stats and experiences. You should be fine, but you need to ensure that the schools you apply to, perhaps on top of chilly_md's list, are mission-fit towards the populations you want to serve as a physician, which should reflect what your volunteering experiences pertain towards.

You should have a solid cycle given you pre-write secondaries and submit theme relatively early, as well as express yourself well during any interviews you get.

I would definitely go with chilly_md's list and Mr.Smile12's advice here. Doing well on the CASPer is key for getting your foot in the door at a few of these schools, and although you do have a LOR from a DO, I most likely do not think you will need to add any DO schools given your stats and experiences. You should be fine, but you need to ensure that the schools you apply to, perhaps on top of chilly_md's list, are mission-fit towards the populations you want to serve as a physician, which should reflect what your volunteering experiences pertain towards.

You should have a solid cycle given you pre-write secondaries and submit theme relatively early, as well as express yourself well during any interviews you get.

Thank you for the insights!

I think that should be fine as well. A few FL resident friends of mine got in this year into Wake with very similar, or below your stats as well
Appreciate the response! Seems like an awesome program.