WAMC/ School List (reapplicant) (3.9 GPA, 513 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Fig2

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a reapplicant who applied last cycle and had no interviews, so I would appreciate help finding a good list of schools to apply to.

cGPA: 3.89 upward trend
sGPA/BCPM: 3.91 upward trend
MCAT: 513 (130/125/128/130)
Ohio resident, Born overseas, USA citizen
Asian male, ORM
Graduated from T50 (2022)

EC:

Clinical
Hospital greeter (40 hours): helped patients find their way around the hospital
COVID-19 Vaccine runner (50 hours): delivered vaccines to nurses during a mass immunization effort in Ohio. I also led patients to their stations, where I collected consent forms and informed patients of the vaccine's side effects. I monitored patients for 20 minutes and then disinfected the station for the next patient.
Hospital volunteer (50 hours): Created information packets for pediatric patients and families, cleaned and restocked the community kitchen, and entered patient data into the system.

Non-Clinical
COVID Pandemic child support (90 hours): During the start of the pandemic, during the summer, I offered free childcare for parents when all daycares were closed.
COVID test kit preparations (90 hours): during the start of COVID, I helped package and distribute COVID test kits all over Ohio. I also assisted in sanitizing and sorting N-95 masks to be delivered to local hospitals
Pass the Class (100 hours): Provided free tutoring to at-risk children in government subsides housing. I also helped the kids develop healthy habits to deal with stress. We also taught kids how to make healthy after-school snacks and the importance of eating healthy and exercising.
Major Ambassador (120 hours): I helped organize social events for my major such as cookouts, pancake breakfasts, etc.

Leadership

Pass the Class Marketing Chair (110 hours): I created informational fliers and went door to door in government-subsidized housing areas to discuss our services. During the pandemic's start, we also made covid care packages to be distributed to the families of children we mentored—these included necessities such as toilet paper, food, education supplies, and even coloring books and toys.
College honorary service chair (100 hours): I helped find service events for our club. These included an epilepsy walk, creating coloring books for the local children's hospital, and writing thank you cards to physicians and nurses during the height of the covid pandemic.
Major recruitment division leader (600 hours): I helped create this new branch with my advisor and co-leaders. My job was creating events targeted toward prospective high school seniors interested in our major. During these "open houses," students were shown the academic and social aspects of the major.

Research (110): I did microbiome research, but the pandemic started at the exact time, so I could barely do anything. I didn't get any publications, but I got to work with mice and slice and stain different organs.

Shadowing
Neurologist #1 (50 hours)
Cardiologist (50 hours)
Neurosurgeon (100 hours)
Neurologist #2 (50 hours)

NEW EC during the gap year 2022-2023

Research: Paid employment (1700 hours): The lab I joined was in a weird spot with post-docs and grad students, so there was only one chance for a publication, which is the project I am currently working on. Hopefully, it will be published by this year. I am looking at other research, as this topic isn't interesting to me, and I can't do it for another year and hope to find a more active publishing lab.

Turkey relief: When the earthquake in Turkey hit, I helped my family in organizing a donation drive. We sent 26 boxes of clothes, food, and necessities to Turkey. We were featured in a couple of articles by our city and Instagram and Facebook posts from the city. (I don't know what this would apply as. I think just non-clinical volunteering. Not sure if this would be an award?)

For the next gap year, 2023-2024, I am considering switching to clinical research and more clinical volunteering.

Old School list from the first application cycle

OSU
Tufts
SLU
Georgetown
Michigan
Cincinnati
Loyola
Case Western
UVA
Rutgers
Brown
Wright State (Boonshoft)
Toledo
George Washington
Dartmouth
Emory
Umass Chan

Members don't see this ad.

Your low clinical hours likely held you back and it does not seem you addressed that during the past year. The 50 hours making packets and cleaning the kitchen do not count as clinical experience, so this puts you below 100 hours. If Toledo and Wright State did not interview you, your chances are not the best for MD and you would likely have to include DO schools (including Ohio Heritage). Even then, you would need to gain 150 hours of clinical experience. I suggest scribing or working as an MA.

Schools like UVA, Rutgers, Brown, Michigan and Emory were donations unfortunately.

You had several schools you applied to that were reaches with your stats and clinical and non clinical volunteering hours.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Belmont (when it opens)

I would suggest shadowing primary care physicians. You do need more clinical experience. I don't know how you described these activities. You apparently failed to articulate your calling to medicine or match with the schools on your list. I don't know where you have gone outside your comfort zone aside from adjusting to pandemic needs. It's great you respond to sudden circumstances like an earthquake, but you haven't worked in an ER?