WAMC/School List/Should I take a gap yr: 4.0 GPA, 520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cakeunderground

Reaction score
-

School List (35 Schools)
AMCAS

NYU
Upenn
Columbia
Yale
UChicago
WashU St. Louis
Harvard
Cornell
Mayo
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Icahn SOM - Mt.Sinai
Univeristy of Michigan
Case Western
USC - Keck
UPitt
Dartmouth
Brown

TMDSAS
Baylor College of Medicine (Top Choice)
UT Southwestern (Top Choice)
UT San Antonio - Long SOM
UT Austin - Dell Medical School
McGovern Medical School at the UT Health Science Center at Houston
Texas A&M
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
UT Medical Branch - John Sealy SOM
Texas Tech Health Sciences Center SOM
TCU - Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine
UT Rio Grande
Univeristy of Houston

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to take a gap year unless you need a break. Are you a junior or senior?
If applying this year, try to do at least some off-campus volunteering. And maybe shadow one other medical specialty.

85% of Texans stay in-state for med school, but those who might get in OOS are the ones with high numbers like yours.
Really think over your OOS school list and choose those that:
-you would pay OOS tuition for rather than go to school in Texas, you like them that much
-you fit due to their profile (research, mission, or other)
-are located in a city you would love to live in, if only for 4 years
-and then try to get your OOS wish list down to 10 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
You need more true non-clinical volunteering. 100 hours with veterans health seems okay, but I'd like the details. You need at least 50 more hours doing service like food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing rehabilitation. Get off of campus, and don't do more tutoring or teaching unless you are employed as a teacher.

Shadowing primary care would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more true non-clinical volunteering. 100 hours with veterans health seems okay, but I'd like the details. You need at least 50 more hours doing service like food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing rehabilitation. Get off of campus, and don't do more tutoring or teaching unless you are employed as a teacher.

Shadowing primary care would help.
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't see any reason to take a gap year unless you need a break. Are you a junior or senior?
If applying this year, try to do at least some off-campus volunteering. And maybe shadow one other medical specialty.

85% of Texans stay in-state for med school, but those who might get in OOS are the ones with high numbers like yours.
Really think over your OOS school list and choose those that:
-you would pay OOS tuition for rather than go to school in Texas, you like them that much
-you fit due to their profile (research, mission, or other)
-are located in a city you would love to live in, if only for 4 years
-and then try to get your OOS wish list down to 10 or so.
Thanks for the advice! I'm currently a junior.

tbh I would be very happy at any of those OOS schools if they would take me since they are research focused and that's where my app is strongest. I was gonna eliminate case, usc, dartmouth, and brown just based off tuition/location reasons.

Do you have any recommendations for the OOS school list?

It's at least an extracurricular. Why do you want to classify it as non clinical volunteering?
only reason is bc my other non-clinical volunteering is low. would maybe help if i could classify this is a nc-volunterring to boost my hours.

only reason is bc my other non-clinical volunteering is low. would maybe help if i could classify this is a nc-volunterring to boost my hours.
Keep in mind service orientation competency needs to be demonstrated. It's not about boosting hours. Screeners make the call.