WAMC/School List Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlebearfanpage

Reaction score
answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your non-clinical volunteering needs the most improvement. Tutoring is not really what schools are looking for, the crisis textline will be for a low number of hours and does not involve face-to-face or even verbal interaction. Get some experience where you can be more hands-on and in a non-academic setting such as at your local homeless shelter, women's shelter, soup kitchen, through Big Brothers Big Sisters etc.

Mediocre letters could be a problem. It does not reflect well having someone write a few short sentences about how you did well in class, particularly if it then starts coming across as lukewarm.

I suggest:

All SUNY schools
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
NYU L.I.
Jefferson
Temple
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Dartmouth
Miami
USF
Western Michigan
VCU
SLU
Keck
Colorado
Iowa
Vermont
Tufts

Your chances are improved at the NY public schools by being a NY resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Your non-clinical volunteering needs the most improvement. Tutoring is not really what schools are looking for, the crisis textline will be for a low number of hours and does not involve face-to-face or even verbal interaction. Get some experience where you can be more hands-on and in a non-academic setting such as at your local homeless shelter, women's shelter, soup kitchen, through Big Brothers Big Sisters etc.

Mediocre letters could be a problem. It does not reflect well having someone write a few short sentences about how you did well in class, particularly if it then starts coming across as lukewarm.

I suggest:

All SUNY schools
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
NYU L.I.
Jefferson
Temple
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Dartmouth
Miami
USF
Western Michigan
VCU
SLU
Keck
Colorado
Iowa
Vermont
Tufts

Your chances are improved at the NY public schools by being a NY resident.
Thank u so much!! I suspected my nonclinical volunteering would have the most trouble. Does it help at all if the organization/program I'm a part of has me mainly leading writing workshops/games/etc.? HW help is just for a small portion of each session and the rest of it we mainly work w/ the kids in writing fiction, poetry, journaling, reading & drawing with them, and doing team building exercises w/o teaching any school subjects.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank u so much!! I suspected my nonclinical volunteering would have the most trouble. Does it help at all if the organization/program I'm a part of has me mainly leading writing workshops/games/etc.? HW help is just for a small portion of each session and the rest of it we mainly work w/ the kids in writing fiction, poetry, journaling, reading & drawing with them, and doing team building exercises w/o teaching any school subjects.
Where are you meeting these kids and how do you know about their socioeconomic background? It likely does not make much of a difference if you are doing writing, poetry and drawing as part of an after school program in the area around UCLA.

Not for me... it still falls under teaching.