WAMC: Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamCoal

Reaction score
--I took the MCAT late this summer and got a 502. I was dealing with a lot, taking care of my grandma. I'm truly traumatized from this process, but I cannot imagine going through that process again.

--I want to apply next year but the thought of having to retake this test at the same time truly sends me to a dark place. Besides that, I am broke and I really need to work and cannot afford to retake.

--Should I try to figure things out and take it again or should I work and apply early next cycle?

My stats: 3.5 undergrad, 3.89 MS, URM, 900+ clinical hours, will have a publication by this winter

would appreciate advice. I'm so turned around about this decision

Members don't see this ad.

Have you networked with SNMA (or LMSA if applicable) student officers at the schools you would like to attend? Are you connected with the SNMA national social media feeds and webinars?

Members don't see this ad :)
--I took the MCAT late this summer and got a 502. I was dealing with a lot, taking care of my grandma. I'm truly traumatized from this process, but I cannot imagine going through that process again.

--I want to apply next year but the thought of having to retake this test at the same time truly sends me to a dark place. Besides that, I am broke and I really need to work and cannot afford to retake.

--Should I try to figure things out and take it again or should I work and apply early next cycle?

My stats: 3.5 undergrad, 3.89 MS, URM, 900+ clinical hours, will have a publication by this winter

would appreciate advice. I'm so turned around about this decision
What community do you represent?
The HBCU's consider MCATs in this range, as do the 3 Puerto Rican Schools that that main-landers.
I'm black

Have you networked with SNMA (or LMSA if applicable) student officers at the schools you would like to attend? Are you connected with the SNMA national social media feeds and webinars?
unfortunately not

Minnesota
You could receive interviews at some MD schools and I suggest all these:
Minnesota
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Indiana
Tulane
Miami
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
If you have done so already, accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.) Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user