WAMC upcoming cycle 2023-2024 Average Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inuhbreeze

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: June 1, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.52
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.52
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA/20 TS/18 PAT/21 RC/20 QR/18 OC/19 GC/22 BIO
State of Residence: SC

Undergrad Attended: small private liberal arts college
Major: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Kind of, switched from pre-med (never applied to med school), entering my second gap year

Shadowing Experience: 150ish spread between 2 general dentists
Volunteering Experience: ~400 hours food bank (founded a non-profit organization), ~100 hours tutoring low-income children, ~100 hours hospice volunteer, ~50 hours covid-19 contact tracer (probably won't include this)
Employment: ~350 hours currently a dental lab tech, ~820 hours caregiver for dementia patients, ~600 hours resident assistant
Research: ~700 hours clinical psychology research, presented poster at two national conventions and one local convention; ~400 hours research assistant at hospital cancer institute (no pubs/posters)
Other Extracurriculars: founder/president of volunteer org (as stated above), president of religious organization, president of pre-health organization, ~200 hours on youth advisory board for local health-based nonprofit org.
Relevant Honors or Awards: senior order (selected as one of 15 rising senior women to be in a org that values humility and service on campus), dean's list
LOR type and strength: 2 biology prof (decent/good), 1 psych/neuroscience prof (really good), 1 dentist (hopefully really good??)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am considered a reapplicant--applied to 4 schools and got rejected before interview--but didn't try at all last cycle (like I submitted app in January, didn't get any LoRs, and applied for the hell of it b/c parents made me) was wondering if this would look bad??

Also, don't know if and HOW to include this but i also wrote a children's book related to dentistry--sold about 100 copies, every copy is in a dental clinic in my city, and did a story time at a couple of schools.

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

(really want to move up northeast/midwest for context lol, and applying to a bunch of schools b/c i don't want to risk another gap year)
- MUSC
- touro
- tufts
- detroit mercy
- boston
- DCOM georgia
- UConn
- UMich (ties to state)
- Midwestern-IL
- Rutgers
- LECOM
unfortunately, yes, being a reapplicant will hurt you
the adcoms will want to know what you have done to improve since last cycle

11 is not "a bunch" since you have average stats, but you only have 2 reaches (uconn and umich)
how OOS friendly is UGA?

unfortunately, yes, being a reapplicant will hurt you
the adcoms will want to know what you have done to improve since last cycle

11 is not "a bunch" since you have average stats, but you only have 2 reaches (uconn and umich)
how OOS friendly is UGA?
dental college of georgia is not that oos friendly. applying just bc a lot of friends from my undergrad got in

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to agree, you sorta hurt yourself applying in January and to only 4 schools. 11 schools seems fine. If you’re trying for the Midwest, Minnesota and Marquette can be added.

I wouldn’t consider switching to premed or having gap years as non traditional. But otherwise your app seems decent. Just apply early like you plan to

dental college of georgia is not that oos friendly. applying just bc a lot of friends from my undergrad got in
probably need to add a few more schools if you have 3 reaches out of 11...

How much networking have you done?

Choose regionally but strategically. You will have to include private schools if you are going out of the region.

VCU is more OOS friendly I think... replace DCG with VCU. Tufts, BU, Temple, NYU, NOVA, LECOM perhaps. Find programs that do a fair amount of interprofessional education with medical students.

How much networking have you done?

Choose regionally but strategically. You will have to include private schools if you are going out of the region.

VCU is more OOS friendly I think... replace DCG with VCU. Tufts, BU, Temple, NYU, NOVA, LECOM perhaps. Find programs that do a fair amount of interprofessional education with medical students.
what do you mean by networking?