This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anxiety disorders; effects of stress/anxiety on health; and addictive behaviors/ substance abuse with anxious patients.

You might also want to consider University of Maryland (not a safety school, though!) and Oklahoma State University with those interests.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'd love some feedback on my stats if anyone has anything to say (doesn't have to be nice!)

Graduated with a BA in psychology in May 2011; cum GPA 3.58, psych GPA 3.8
710V, 630Q, 4 on writing
Honors thesis - made the final round of a 10k competition at my undergrad; currently drafting manuscript
2 poster presentations

Working full-time in the T1 lab I was involved in (part-time job) as an undergrad and can count on terrific letters. My letters will probably be the strongest part of my application now that I think of it.

I'd really like to apply this cycle, but I'm having lingering doubts about where I stand. From obsessively reading this thread this evening I've learned that more than a few of the programs where I've found "good fit" mentors are super competitive. Anyway, here's my working list:

BU
Oregon
Washington U
Washington State
U of Houston
U Mass Boston
Penn State
Baylor (PsyD)
Rutgers (PsyD)

My list is probably too short...

Thank you in advance for any comments! I feel like I'm flying blind here.

Interests
Main
- Cross-cultural clinical psychology
- "Cyberpsychology"/Online interventions
Minor
- Suicide/Deliberate Self Harm
- Depression/Anxiety

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

You'll need to narrow this down, as there are all rather different. You will look scattered/unsure of your interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'd love some feedback on my stats if anyone has anything to say (doesn't have to be nice!)

710V, 630Q, 4 on writing
Honors thesis - made the final round of a 10k competition at my undergrad; currently drafting manuscript
2 poster presentations

Working full-time in the T1 lab I was involved in (part-time job) as an undergrad and can count on terrific letters. My letters will probably be the strongest part of my application now that I think of it.

I'd really like to apply this cycle, but I'm having lingering doubts about where I stand. From obsessively reading this thread this evening I've learned that more than a few of the programs where I've found "good fit" mentors are super competitive. Anyway, here's my working list:

BU
Oregon
Washington U
Washington State
U of Houston
U Mass Boston
Penn State
Baylor (PsyD)
Rutgers (PsyD)

I would add 4 more schools that aren't uber competitive clinical science programs.

edit: Forgot to mention stats, for many of those programs your stats are average to low-average which is why I suggested adding more apps. Obviously you have good experience but the trick will be to get programs to actually look that far.

Last edited:
Hi all,

710V, 630Q, 4 on writing
2 poster presentations

BU
Oregon
Washington U
Washington State
U of Houston
U Mass Boston
Penn State
Baylor (PsyD)
Rutgers (PsyD)

As already suggested, I'd add some more schools to that list. You have an interesting spread...some clinical science and some PsyDs (albeit good PsyDs). I think adding in a few "lower tier" programs might be a good idea, especially since your GREs are a little flip-flopped. I wish you the best of luck - sounds like you have some great research experience! :luck:

As already suggested, I'd add some more schools to that list. You have an interesting spread...some clinical science and some PsyDs (albeit good PsyDs). I think adding in a few "lower tier" programs might be a good idea, especially since your GREs are a little flip-flopped. I wish you the best of luck - sounds like you have some great research experience! :luck:

Not sure I would count on the quality of the research experience. Those clinical science programs will care more about the research, I cannot speak on what the PsyD programs care about. What is your area of interest? How well can you make an argument for matching with a particular faculty member at those research friendly schools?

I feel like this is a recurring theme with applicants... there is a huge spread between a TON of research experience (i.e., those that take 1-2 years for a postbacc research fellowship) and those that have very, very little, and I cannot speak for others, but I know when I am interviewing a candidate, the first thing I look at is CV (GREs etc mean nothing to us at that point) and we can tell when someone's CV is weak, i.e., forcing a presentation at their undergrad university on the list vs. strong, someone with a series of first authored abstracts and conf presentations at legit conferences and a couple second, third, or fourth authored pubs.

I know I shouldnt, but its hard not to discount or look down on the weak CV vs the strong CV. Also, those with the 1-2 years of dedicated research TALK ABOUT RESEARCH differently than those without it, and it shows through.

Anyhoo, my soap box for the night

AJ

Like everyone else, I'd love to get some feedback on my stats. (Who doesn't love being reduced to a bunch of numbers? I know I do.) I appreciate any input.

I'm applying for the Fall of 2012, strictly PsyD programs.

Education
Graduated May of 2011: 3 years instead of 4
BA in Psychology
(minor in Italian)
GPA: 3.4
Major GPA: 3.8
Statistics GPA: 4.0

GRE
Verbal: 630
Quantitative: 600
Writing: 5.0

Research Experience
1. Freshman year I completed a study on the effects of expressive writing on levels of romantic relationship satisfaction. (Unpublished, should I even include this as "experience"?)
2. Worked as a research assistant for 2 years in lab studying stereotype threat. Administered test, scheduled participants, entered data, wore a blazer on occasion, etc.

Clinical Experience
Interned in a state mental hospital for a year. Was able to work directly with head psychologist. Took training in DBT. Mostly it was just hanging out with patients and attending classes with them.

Schools
  • Nova Southeastern
  • Rutgers
  • George Washington University
  • PGSP- Stanford Consortium
  • Indiana University of Penn.

Random Factoid
My senior year (which was actually my junior year), I was unable to decide if I wanted to commit to a program as long and intensive as a PsyD. Instead of applying, I decided that I was going to pursue another interest of mine: xxjahdf. I call it xxjahdf because it doesn't matter what it is. I was accepted to a master's program in xxjahdf. Keep in mind I had no experience in xxjahdf. So I was accepted, and then soon realized that in no way, shape or form did I want to do xxjahdf for a living. I want to study and practice Psychology.

Long story short: I was accepted into a program for which I had no experience. Now I'm starting to worry that I won't get accepted into a program that I actually have relevant experience for!

So what's the verdict?

Thanks roubs, PsychPhDStudent, & AlaskanJustin for your thoughtful responses. I'm definitely aware my numbers aren't anything to write home about - how would I identify PhD programs that aren't extremely clinical science-y? Maybe a google search for non-Boulder model programs? (forgive my ignorance)

I'd say my research experience is fairly good as is (it's my responsibility to oversee the current cohort - our grad students are mysteriously absent from the bigger lab's responsibilities), with the cherry being the names of the people who run the lab I'm in. Realistically though I'm opening myself up to applying next cycle, for fall 2013, as this would have the potential to make me a strong applicant (so says me...). My area is domestic violence with an emphasis on children's stress and outcomes. I've never envisioned myself as a full-time clinician, but (and this is something I could never ask for advice about from the lab) I can't stop reading the internship (etc) threads and wondering if I'd be better off cutting my losses and going for a master's degree and becoming a clinical social worker. Especially given my numbers. I'm sorry to veer, but if any of you can shed some light on the wiser move to make, I would gladly owe you my firstborn.

Thanks roubs, PsychPhDStudent, & AlaskanJustin for your thoughtful responses. I'm definitely aware my numbers aren't anything to write home about - how would I identify PhD programs that aren't extremely clinical science-y? Maybe a google search for non-Boulder model programs? (forgive my ignorance)

I'd say my research experience is fairly good as is (it's my responsibility to oversee the current cohort - our grad students are mysteriously absent from the bigger lab's responsibilities), with the cherry being the names of the people who run the lab I'm in. Realistically though I'm opening myself up to applying next cycle, for fall 2013, as this would have the potential to make me a strong applicant (so says me...). My area is domestic violence with an emphasis on children's stress and outcomes. I've never envisioned myself as a full-time clinician, but (and this is something I could never ask for advice about from the lab) I can't stop reading the internship (etc) threads and wondering if I'd be better off cutting my losses and going for a master's degree and becoming a clinical social worker. Especially given my numbers. I'm sorry to veer, but if any of you can shed some light on the wiser move to make, I would gladly owe you my firstborn.

Yum, firstborn! :laugh:

No, really. I don't consider myself super qualified or anything but your stats really aren't bad. They will undoubtedly be better in a year, especially in terms of research experience and maybe a pub. If you like research (this is imperative) and think you could get through another 5-7 years of school (also imperative) I think I'd recommend going for the Ph.D. or Psy.D. over a M.A. or social work degree. On the other hand if you don't like research, can't imagine being in school for that long, and want to be out working with clients sooner rather than later, you may want to consider the other route. I suspect you'd be a bit overqualified in comparison to other applicants and/or peers in such programs. It really depends on you and what you want to do with your interests (i.e. practice, teaching, research, etc.).

In terms of helping you navigate this horribly convoluted and painful application process (no one will try to BS you about that), try to read everything in this forum that you can. All the helper threads, for sure. In some of these threads you will find recommendations to go out and purchase the Insider's Guide to Graduate Program in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. DO IT. It will help you get a grip on this process and has very handy information about all the APA accredited clinical and counseling programs in the back. Locate schools that match your stats and then dig through their faculty online until you start finding good matches with your research.

Now for the candid bit about the schools you listed earlier:

Like everyone else said, those programs are pretty darn up there tier-wise. Unless you have a fabulous fit with research you will likely be outdone by other applicants who have higher GPAs, more presentations and publications, and longer stretches of research experience in labs. Heck, even if the fit is great it still may not work out. Like others recommended, use your soon to be purchased Insider's Guide to find middle tiers and keep a few of your favorite top-tiers in for good measure. I think you could be successful this cycle if you are focused and passionate. If you don't feel that way yet and still aren't sure what you want, wait until you are. There's no burning building, if you know what I mean. ;)

Best of luck!

If you have a passion for research, don't let the internship issues dissuade you from the field in general.

As the above poster said, go out there and get the Insider's Guide and use that to help you look at Ph.D. programs that are in the middle range on the research<-->clinical work continuum.

Hello I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Art, Cum Laude with a 3.2 majoring in Psychology and a minor in Jewish Studies. Throughout my undergraduate carrer I worked various jobs including tutoring students from failing districts in my area, while still going to school full-time. I completed a study abroad program during my coursework where I studied in Madrid, Spain. I was also part of undergraduate organization interested in health issues within our communities. I served on the executive board and was able to serve my communities.
I currently hold a full-time position in a underserved area where I work with families who are in endanger of losing their children to foster care due to mental illness and/or substance abuse. I also am interning as a researcher in a highly regarded institution in New York City. I planned to worked full-time and do research for about a year and a half. I wanted to know what are chances in applying for doctorate programs. I live in New York City and have been looking at many of the programs there including my undergraduate institution.

My goal is to obtained a doctorate in clinical psychology where I hope to do research for underrepresented populations and practice. I want to know what are chances of getting into a program.

Thank you for any insight or suggestions!

Hey All -

After reading through these forums for a long time, I've decided to make a post to see what you all think about my chances for these programs.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.93
GRE Verbal: 550
GRE Quantitative: 600
GRE Analytical: 5.0

Research Experience: Three semesters as a research intern on a addiction/substance use study, one semester as an intern doing a study on smoking cessation in cancer patients.

Clinical Experience: One month volunteer/mission experience working with children of parents with substance use issues, one semester working with a non-profit adolescents suffering with addiction

As you can see, my research interests really fall into addiction and substance use and abuse. I feel I have a good amount of experience in that area, which should make me a pretty solid candidate. My letters of recommendation should be strong (one from a professor, two from research supervisors). Also, I am confident with my personal statement.

Schools:
University of Cincinnati (PhD) - probably my top choice
Xavier University (PsyD)
University of Louisville (PhD)
Bowling Green State University (PhD)
Indiana University (PhD)

A few others as well, but WAMC for those listed above? Thanks!

Hey All -

After reading through these forums for a long time, I've decided to make a post to see what you all think about my chances for these programs.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.93
GRE Verbal: 550
GRE Quantitative: 600
GRE Analytical: 5.0

Research Experience: Three semesters as a research intern on a addiction/substance use study, one semester as an intern doing a study on smoking cessation in cancer patients.

Clinical Experience: One month volunteer/mission experience working with children of parents with substance use issues, one semester working with a non-profit adolescents suffering with addiction

As you can see, my research interests really fall into addiction and substance use and abuse. I feel I have a good amount of experience in that area, which should make me a pretty solid candidate. My letters of recommendation should be strong (one from a professor, two from research supervisors). Also, I am confident with my personal statement.

Schools:
University of Cincinnati (PhD) - probably my top choice
Xavier University (PsyD)
University of Louisville (PhD)
Bowling Green State University (PhD)
Indiana University (PhD)

A few others as well, but WAMC for those listed above? Thanks!

Addictions is not my area of research, but I think you'll have a pretty good chance w/ the schools you listed. Hopefully someone else w/ more knowledge re SUDs can pipe in

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Art, Cum Laude with a 3.2 majoring in Psychology and a minor in Jewish Studies. Throughout my undergraduate carrer I worked various jobs including tutoring students from failing districts in my area, while still going to school full-time. I completed a study abroad program during my coursework where I studied in Madrid, Spain. I was also part of undergraduate organization interested in health issues within our communities. I served on the executive board and was able to serve my communities.
I currently hold a full-time position in a underserved area where I work with families who are in endanger of losing their children to foster care due to mental illness and/or substance abuse. I also am interning as a researcher in a highly regarded institution in New York City. I planned to worked full-time and do research for about a year and a half. I wanted to know what are chances in applying for doctorate programs. I live in New York City and have been looking at many of the programs there including my undergraduate institution.

My goal is to obtained a doctorate in clinical psychology where I hope to do research for underrepresented populations and practice. I want to know what are chances of getting into a program.

Thank you for any insight or suggestions!

Without GRE scores etc there is not much here to go on re: WAMC. I'd do everything you can to publish/present in the next 1.5 yrs and study really hard for the GREs to offset the GPA. Still it may be beneficial to take some graduate courses and/or pursue an MA b/c a 3.2 GPA will be low for the majority of (funded) programs. As an aside I think your proposed research area is very interesting and wish you the best of luck.

Well that time of year has come upon us...I'm looking to apply to these schools for a PhD in Clinical/Counseling psychology:

Uniformed Services University (#1!!!!!!!!!)

-All others in no specific order-
Wayne State University
Michigan State University
Eastern Michigan University
Central Michigan Unversity
Western Michigan University
University of Detroit Mercy
Virginia Commonwealth University
George Mason University
University of Miami
University of South Florida
University of Houston
University of Arizona
University of Colorado - Denver
University of Hawaii
University of Minnesota
University of Northern Illinois
Purdue University
Ball State University
Adler School of Professional Psychology (The backup plan)

-B.S. in Psychology from Grand Valley State University (3.1GPA)
-M.A. in Psychology from Pepperdine University (3.8 GPA to make up for my less than stellar undergrand gpa)

GRE - 1050-1250 (Took the revised version this past August. Official scores are to be reported in November, so let's assume its about an 1150)

-1.5 years as a full time research assistant at UCLA
-1+ years as a full time research assistant Wayne State University in Adult neuropsychology with over 500 hours accumulated administering standardized psychological tests directly to clients
-Poster presentation expected for the International Neuropsychological Society (still waiting on offical word)

LOR's are solid, one PhD professor from GVSU, UCLA, and Wayne State.

Six months volunteering for the VA in Ann Arbor, MI, committee member for Relay for Life, American Cancer Society

My interests are anything having to do with the military population. If I don't get into USUHS (which I understand is a fat chance) I intend to apply for the HSHP with the military to join and become a psychologist that way.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Hi all,

I am coming out of retirement for brief moment to tell you about some horrible advice that is out there....

Someone has starting a ridiculous rumor suggesting that is is mandatory that an applicant contact a professor before successfully gaining admission into a clinical psychology program. Most commonly, applicants are contacting faculty to ask whether they are taking a student this year.

if such info is not available on the department/program/mentor's website, then this is a perfectly appropriate thing to do.

However, if the info is already posted, then sending an email just to "get one's name on their desktop" is a very, very bad idea. In fact, certain professors will immediately assume that an applicant who does so lacks the meticulous, conscientious demeanor that graduate school requires.

Do NOT contact a faculty member to ask them questions that can be answered online.

Do NOT contact a faculty member to merely "get your name on their desktop." Doing so is much more likely to backfire. Faculty look at applications when they come in. We do not give any preference to applicants who have emailed in advance. We especially do not pay special attention to applicants who wrote to us without good reason.

Hopefully, this very blunt and direct info will counteract the rumors that seem to have started.

For more info (with real, verified advice), please see:
1) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=489204
2) http://cudcp.us/files/Reports/CUDCP_2011_Psy_Grad_School_Fact_sheet.pdf
3) http://www.unc.edu/~mjp1970/Mitch's Grad School Advice.pdf

Thanks,
Dr. ClinPsyAdvice

So how are you going to make a case for research fit with all your other schools? It doesn't sound like your research interests are well-defined.

I would agree with psycscientist, "anything to do with the military" is not a research interest you want to put in a personal statement. Maybe this is a given, but were you planning on narrowing it down and tailoring it to faculty at each school?

I'm applying to Neuropsychology grad programs all across the country and need some help narrowing down my choices. Here's my app

2nd author on scientific I/O psych article – In progress
GRE – Taking it in 3 weeks
uGPA – 3.53 / PsyGPA – 3.6
B.S. in Psychology - Graduating June 2012
A.A. in Social Science
Student council for 2 years
APA student affiliate
1 year internship with SF Suicide prevention hotline
T.A. for Bio Psychology & Developmental Psychology

The schools that I have found are:
SDSU-UCSD joint program
Palo Alto University
Pacific University
Alliant University
Boston University
University of Arizona
Columbia, Teacher's College
American University
Drexel University
Arizona State University
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
McGill University
University of Miami
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
Pennsylvania State University
University of Pittsburgh
Purdue University
Rutgers University
University of South Florida
University of Texas
State Univ. of NY-Binghamton
State Univ. of NY-Stony Brook
Virginia Tech
University of Virginia
University of Washington
Washington Univ. in St. Louis
Adler School of Pro Psych
University of Houston
UNLV
Queens College

I have a spreadsheet that has all of these schools listed with faculty I would like to work with, average GPA and GRE of last incoming class, and any financial aid opportunities.

Could anyone give me some advice on 10-12 of these schools that I could be competitive for with my application as listed above?

Thanks!

Your research experience will not be enough for most of those programs, IMO.

What would you recommend? I am having the hardest time getting anyone to respond to me for research positions.

What would you recommend? I am having the hardest time getting anyone to respond to me for research positions.

Do you mean you want to do neuropsych research or you are looking for a program with a neuropsych track? Clinical neuropsych training occurs in practica and your program doesn't need a track for you to get this training, and of course in internship/post-doc. The programs you list are kinda all over the place from the most research heavy Ph.D. to Psy.D. What are you looking for re: your training?

Places like Minnesota, UW, BU, WashU etc will most likely pass over your app due to GPA. I'd skip schools in that tier or keep just one.

I think you may need to hold your horses a bit. It seems to me like you're rushing into this application cycle without really getting a feel for what makes you competitive or a good fit for programs. First of all, like others have said, the majority of that long list of schools you posted will likely be way out of your range UNLESS you score above a 1300 on the GRE and accumulate at LEAST another year of solid research experience.

Seeing as how you haven't taken the GRE yet and don't currently have much research experience outside of your one almost-pub, I think you may need to consider doing what most other applicants do: taking a year off after undergrad to build your experience.

Now. To gain such experience I would recommend doing some digging into neuropsych literature that you find interesting. Really try to refine your interests from "I like neuropsychology" to something more specific within that broad domain. Identify some faculty in your department who are knowledgeable in such areas and ask them if they have any projects you could help out with. Ask them if they have any connections with people doing similar research. If you have to, volunteer on some of their studies or conduct your own independent study. Building relationships with professors and doing some networking may turn up the research opportunities you need.

Last word of advice: IF you decide to apply this cycle (which will likely be be rushed, given you haven't taken the GRE yet), don't make the mistake of thinking that if your stats don't quite fit certain (read, top-tier) schools that your app will still be looked at. These programs will be a waste of money. IF you apply this year, I would aim at programs that quite literally match or fall below your stats.

I hope this info is helpful, even if it may not be what you want to hear. Best of luck!!

I would agree with psycscientist, "anything to do with the military" is not a research interest you want to put in a personal statement. Maybe this is a given, but were you planning on narrowing it down and tailoring it to faculty at each school?

My research interests within the military population range from treatment for PTSD, neurological disorders such as TBI and Epilepsy as well as adjustment and family issues that stem from deployment. I have tailored my interests specifically to particular faculty at each of the schools.

Hey thanks guys this has been very helpful!

I will take your advice and cross UW, BU, Minnesota, WashU off the list. As for my specific research interests...I would have to say they are indeed broad still at this point but I read a lot about psycholinguistics, V.S. Ramachandran, and frontal lobe disorders. I agree that applying this cycle may be a little rushed but I would hate to lose a whole year (in the event that I STILL can't find any research opportunities) if I didn't apply this Fall. I know my chances of getting into Palo Alto University are greater because I am currently an undergraduate student there.

I will take your advice and cross UW, BU, Minnesota, WashU off the list. As for my specific research interests...I would have to say they are indeed broad still at this point but I read a lot about psycholinguistics, V.S. Ramachandran, and frontal lobe disorders. I agree that applying this cycle may be a little rushed but I would hate to lose a whole year (in the event that I STILL can't find any research opportunities) if I didn't apply this Fall. I know my chances of getting into Palo Alto University are greater because I am currently an undergraduate student there.

You aren't losing anything by taking a year off, by applying too early you may be losing the chance to attend a high quality program.

Again, your research interests are all over the place and I think you're going to be hard-pressed to talk about them in an intelligent and informed manner on interviews.

I'm going to echo psycscientist again :) You would be well served to figure out which among these you most want to delve into, gain some depth in that area and focus on those programs.

Most of the programs on your list will want at least two years of research experience, on average. As for RA positions, check listservs and email local professors.

Hi Everyone,

I am applying to graduate school in clinical psychology and came across this thread and forum, here are my stats:

B.A. Psychology
Minor in the History and Philosophy of Science (First recipient of this minor from my University)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.06
P.B.A.C.C. Industrial Statistics
Post-bachelors graduate certificate in industrial statistics, courses included survival analysis, regression analysis, and design of experiments.
M.S. Family Studies: Adolescent Development
Master's Thesis: New Media Use and Rural Youth Substance Use
Graduate GPA: 3.66

GRE Scores:
1st Attempt: 580 verbal and 520 quant, 4.0 analytical
2nd Attempt: 570 verbal and 490 Quant, 4.0 Analytical

Research Experience:

Spring 2011; Assisted the Coos County Youth Study researchers as a research assistant for Wave III of their ongoing 10 year study - Went to high schools and assisted in the the surveying of participants, coding of data.

Summer 2011: Designed and administered pre, post, and 6 month survey for a prevention oriented leadership program. This program was a weeklong camp which taught youth drug and alcohol awareness, leadership skills, and communications strategies. They were in need of evaluation and surveying materials so I designed them, in addition to the quantitative surveys I also did some qualitative analysis of the individual components of the program, and taught the evaluation procedures I came up with to volunteers at the program.

Fall 2011: Using some of the research from my Master's thesis work I am presenting at a regional conference this month, I am also working on a paper based on this research which looks at the relationship between new media use and substance use in teens. This is based in part on Wave I of the study mentioned above.

Work Experience:

Undergrad:

Spring 2007: Interned at a local juvenile diversion program, and ended up working their post-grad for three years. I taught prevention oriented psychoeducational programming on substance use, violence prevention, and communication, organized and facilitated community service for clients, and did surveying and data collection/analysis for the agency. I was also responsible for reporting data to the state.

Fall 2007: Conducted a paid service learning in a residential home in the area, this was a level IV no eject-no reject group home, very tough customers..

Spring 2008: Interned at an area high school's unique combined therapy and academic support program. In this program students not only received academic help but also received group/individual counseling from counselors. I supported through tutoring and sat in on group therapy sessions.

Summer: 2008: Started work at this juvenile diversion program and continued my previous duties. Also included case management and supervision of the shoplifting awareness program.

July: 2010: Became a Certified Prevention Specialist in the state of New Hampshire, this included 2000 hours of supervised work experience, over 100 hours of training time, and completion of a test. This qualifies me to do psychoeducational/prevention work in the state of New Hampshire.

July 2011: Started work as a student mentor at a local therapeutic boarding school. Supervise youth and participate in a team environment with a therapist and academic advisor.

So I know my undergrad GPA and GRE scores are nothing to write home about, but essentially that's why I got my master's degree and further statistics experience. Since junior year of college I've known what I wanted to do, become a clinical psychologist, do counseling but also be fluent in research. I think one of my strongest attributes is my work experience both in mental health settings and as an educator and researcher. Here are the schools I am applying to (I am trying to stay in the New England region):

University of Maine - Orono

University of Vermont

Boston University

Clark University

UMASS Amherst

Overall it wouldn't be a huge blow to me to not get in this year, I know this is what I want to do with my life and I will keep applying/apply to different schools/gain more research experience if I have to. Thanks for all of your input!

Hi Everyone,

I am applying to graduate school in clinical psychology and came across this thread and forum, here are my stats:

B.A. Psychology
Minor in the History and Philosophy of Science (First recipient of this minor from my University)
Post-bachelors graduate certificate in industrial statistics, courses included survival analysis, regression analysis, and design of experiments.

GRE Scores:

Research Experience:

Spring 2011; Assisted the Coos County Youth Study researchers as a research assistant for Wave III of their ongoing 10 year study - Went to high schools and assisted in the the surveying of participants, coding of data.

Summer 2011: Designed and administered pre, post, and 6 month survey for a prevention oriented leadership program. This program was a weeklong camp which taught youth drug and alcohol awareness, leadership skills, and communications strategies. They were in need of evaluation and surveying materials so I designed them, in addition to the quantitative surveys I also did some qualitative analysis of the individual components of the program, and taught the evaluation procedures I came up with to volunteers at the program.

Fall 2011: Using some of the research from my Master's thesis work I am presenting at a regional conference this month, I am also working on a paper based on this research which looks at the relationship between new media use and substance use in teens. This is based in part on Wave I of the study mentioned above.

Work Experience:

Undergrad:

Spring 2007: Interned at a local juvenile diversion program, and ended up working their post-grad for three years. I taught prevention oriented psychoeducational programming on substance use, violence prevention, and communication, organized and facilitated community service for clients, and did surveying and data collection/analysis for the agency. I was also responsible for reporting data to the state.

Fall 2007: Conducted a paid service learning in a residential home in the area, this was a level IV no eject-no reject group home, very tough customers..

Spring 2008: Interned at an area high school's unique combined therapy and academic support program. In this program students not only received academic help but also received group/individual counseling from counselors. I supported through tutoring and sat in on group therapy sessions.

Summer: 2008: Started work at this juvenile diversion program and continued my previous duties. Also included case management and supervision of the shoplifting awareness program.

July: 2010: Became a Certified Prevention Specialist in the state of New Hampshire, this included 2000 hours of supervised work experience, over 100 hours of training time, and completion of a test. This qualifies me to do psychoeducational/prevention work in the state of New Hampshire.

July 2011: Started work as a student mentor at a local therapeutic boarding school. Supervise youth and participate in a team environment with a therapist and academic advisor.

So I know my undergrad GPA and GRE scores are nothing to write home about, but essentially that's why I got my master's degree and further statistics experience. Since junior year of college I've known what I wanted to do, become a clinical psychologist, do counseling but also be fluent in research. I think one of my strongest attributes is my work experience both in mental health settings and as an educator and researcher. Here are the schools I am applying to (I am trying to stay in the New England region):

University of Vermont

Boston University

Clark University

UMASS Amherst

Overall it wouldn't be a huge blow to me to not get in this year, I know this is what I want to do with my life and I will keep applying/apply to different schools/gain more research experience if I have to. Thanks for all of your input!

I don't think you're particularly competitive for any of these programs. BU prefers people who have done significant full-time research experience, for example. 3 semesters isn't enough.

I'm not sure what your masters is in, but was your thesis empirical? Do you have any publications or presentations (regional/national/international)? How much of a match do you have with POIs, and do you have any recommenders with personal contacts at these programs?

Your bright point seems to be your stats experience. Have you had a chance to apply those classes to real projects leading to publications? Have you had an opportunity to design your own experiment? Those are the big questions I'd be wondering about, especially with your "numbers" being on the low side. Also, that is a very low number of schools -- even very competitive applicants would want to apply to more than that.

I don't think you're particularly competitive for any of these programs. BU prefers people who have done significant full-time research experience, for example. 3 semesters isn't enough.

I'm not sure what your masters is in, but was your thesis empirical? Do you have any publications or presentations (regional/national/international)? How much of a match do you have with POIs, and do you have any recommenders with personal contacts at these programs?

Your bright point seems to be your stats experience. Have you had a chance to apply those classes to real projects leading to publications? Have you had an opportunity to design your own experiment? Those are the big questions I'd be wondering about, especially with your "numbers" being on the low side. Also, that is a very low number of schools -- even very competitive applicants would want to apply to more than that.

Thanks for the feedback. My M.S. is in Family Studies with a concentration in adolescent development, my thesis was empirical. I am presenting some of my findings from this work at a regional conference at the end of this month. It's unlikely that my recommenders have contacts with these programs as they are from the departments of family studies and sociology and do not have a clinical background.

I used my statistics experience to design the research program mentioned above for the prevention oriented leadership program. This wasn't an experiment per-say but I believe contributes to my research experience, I could be wrong. Regarding the number of schools for personal reasons I only am applying to programs in new england,

Regarding fit with particular programs my POI at Orono is Doug Nangle, my interests are mainly regarding substance use and technology facilitated peer interactions in adolescents. In the same vein my POI at UVM is Tim Stickle, as his research is focused on serious emotional and behavioral problems in adolescence. I believe my interests fit well with these two individuals and these are the schools I am focusing on.

Hi Everyone,

B.A. Psychology

GRE Scores:

I think one of my strongest attributes is my work experience both in mental health settings and as an educator and researcher. Here are the schools I am applying to (I am trying to stay in the New England region):

University of Vermont
Boston University
Clark University
UMASS Amherst

Add some less competitive schools in the NE area. For at least two schools (Vermont and BU..sorry am not familiar w/ the others) it's unlikely you'll make it past the first round given your GRE/GPA regardless of your research experience. BU, for example, rarely interviews people with GRE's under 1300. Although there are exceptions to this, it would take a stellar undergrad GPA, great rec from a high-powered researcher, publication history etc...

Add some less competitive schools in the NE area. For at least two schools (Vermont and BU..sorry am not familiar w/ the others) it's unlikely you'll make it past the first round given your GRE/GPA regardless of your research experience. BU, for example, rarely interviews people with GRE's under 1300. Although there are exceptions to this, it would take a stellar undergrad GPA, great rec from a high-powered researcher, publication history etc...

Agreed. These schools are just not gonna look at you with lower GRE scores. You might want to look at Suffolk University in Boston instead of BU. I don't really know of many other programs in that area but there should be plenty. Good luck searching!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here. So here is my information:

B.A. Psychology-Graduated with a GPA around 2.8 (Psychology GPA was about 3.6)
M.A. Experimental Psychology-GPA 3.4 (health issues first 2 semesters)

Master's Thesis examining smoking behaviors in college age women.

Poster presentations at 2 APS conventions.

Year and half working full time as a clinical research assistant for a medical school on the NIDA contract doing research with schizophrenia and drug abuse. Currently, working as a data manager at a clinical research organization's data and statistical center which is also contracted through NIDA.

Taking the GRE this week and on the practice tests I have a range of 1180-1380.
GRE Psych around 670.

LORs from an old professor (Ph.D.), past supervisor (Pharm. D.) and current supervisor (Dr. PH.). Would it be better to add LORs from another supervisor who has M.P.H. and my old supervisor who has an MSW?

I'm thinking about applying to clinical psych programs at Auburn and Uniformed Services University. I'm not sure where else to apply to that is a good fit. I want to continue doing drug abuse research but with a military population and I would also like to study PTSD, TBI, chronic pain, and disability.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hi,

I graduated in Fall 2010 with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Biology. After unsuccessfully applying to Ph.D. programs last year (most likely due to my low GRE scores and lack of research experience), I'm gearing up for round two of applications. This time I am setting my sights more realistically (hopefully) on masters programs in experimental psychology.

GPA
3.88 overall
4.0 in Psychology

GRE
510 Q
660 V
4.0 Analytical

Letters of Recommendation
Last year, I had two letters that I felt were very strong; the third was from a professor who doesn't know me as well, but I imagine it was a decent letter at least. I plan on asking these same people again.

Research Experience
I did an independent research project in order to graduate with honors at my school, but that is the extent of my research experience.

Am I going to have to re-take the GRE to have a shot at getting into more competitive programs? I think that I could bring my quantitative score up now that you're allowed to use calculators, but it was definitely not an experience that I care to repeat. Plus, the application process is expensive enough as it is.

Also, is the fact that I haven't done anything relevant to psychology/research since graduating going to hurt me? I initially was planning on trying to find an RA position rather than having to take out loans for a masters degree (which is what I assume will have to happen since funded programs seem to be few and far between) but I have had no luck. I also tried to find opportunities to get research experience on a volunteer basis in my area but the closest research university/medical center is two hours away. At the moment I'm not in a position where I can afford to relocate until spring at the earliest, and by that time it would be too late for it to make a difference anyhow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
This time I am setting my sights more realistically (hopefully) on masters programs in experimental psychology.

You may be competitive for some of the least competitive PhD/PsyD programs, but there are plenty of applicants with higher stats, masters degrees, (more) research experience, and clinical experience to compete with there too.

You need to figure out an interest area. Without that, you're toast.

On another note, you may definitely need to relocate to get research experience. I did. I moved 2,000 miles away and got some great experience (including a leadership role on my own study idea), and I still am not feeling as competitive as some. My GRE score bites me, and it's still higher than yours.

Go for the master's programs.

You may be competitive for some of the least competitive PhD/PsyD programs, but there are plenty of applicants with higher stats, masters degrees, (more) research experience, and clinical experience to compete with there too.

You need to figure out an interest area. Without that, you're toast.

On another note, you may definitely need to relocate to get research experience. I did. I moved 2,000 miles away and got some great experience (including a leadership role on my own study idea), and I still am not feeling as competitive as some. My GRE score bites me, and it's still higher than yours.

Go for the master's programs.

I actually just got an interview for a paid research assistant position, but I'm not sure if I should pursue it. It would make things quite difficult financially and it's also doesn't have anything at all to do with my research interests so I don't know if it would really help my grad school applications that much. I'm leaning towards focusing on applying to masters programs.

I actually just got an interview for a paid research assistant position, but I'm not sure if I should pursue it. It would make things quite difficult financially and it's also doesn't have anything at all to do with my research interests so I don't know if it would really help my grad school applications that much. I'm leaning towards focusing on applying to masters programs.

Why would a paid position make things more financially difficult? I would take this opportunity as it would be a way to build your experience without having to take on the debt of a masters. Contrary to your belief, a position like that certainly would help your grad school apps and it wouldn't make much of a difference if the research didn't completely fit your interests. The experience itself would be beneficial and look proactive on your part.

Why would a paid position make things more financially difficult?

I guess I didn't really make that part clear in my previous post - I can't really afford the costs of relocating at this time and even though I would be making more than I currently do, there would also be a huge jump in terms of rent/cost of living. =/

Hi all, I'm half way through the application process so it might be too late to be asking this, but WAMC?

Undergrad GPA: 3.97 (from pretty good liberal arts school), majored in psych, minor in english and business
Graduate GPA: Currently 3.92 (graduate in May)
this graduate degree is in a field completely unrelated to psych, btw, so probably won't help me with admission at all

GREs:
Q 660
V 710
AW 5.0

Psych GRE- taking November 12
I usually do pretty well on standardized tests on paper, so I think I'll do decently at least

Research:
Worked in two different labs in undergrad, one a social psych lab and one cognitive. But the time periods overlapped and so basically this was just my senior year. In the social psych lab I was lucky enough to be working on a project that later got pretty big. I had a poster presentation as second author on said project.

Independent Research:
I completed an independent project with the head of the psych dept/cognitive professor. It was related to the research he was already doing but I did the whole IRB approval, design, running subjects, analysis and paper, for 3 credits. We didn't have an honors thesis option, but I imagine this is kind of like that?

I also worked internationally this summer for a NGO on a qualitative research project analyzing quality of psychological services provided for children post-natural disaster (conducted focus groups, interviews, etc).

Recommendations: From 2 profs whose labs I've worked in, undergrad advisor who knows me very well, and one prof from grad school. I haven't seen the recs but they got me in to grad school the first time around and they all profess to be giving me good recs, so I'm hopeful :)

Clinical experience:
Worked with my population of interest (post-trauma) many times over the past few years in volunteer positions, both in the US and in Latin America, but nothing "official"

I know I'm going to need to tie all of my application together in my SoP given that I've been a little bit all over the map with grad school in another area and my research interests not lining up with the lab experience in social/cognitive.

Schools I'm applying to:
Temple
U Del
U Conn
Fordham
St. John's
GWU
Teachers College- counseling
SUNY Albany
CUNY
SUNY Binghamton
UMass-Boston
NYU Steinhardt
Fairleigh Dickinson

So my question is, is this a wide enough variety of schools (I've tried to throw in some "safety" and some "reach") for me? I have to stay on the east coast in a city because my fiance needs to be able to keep his job, given that he will be the sole bread-winner for oh, the next 7 years or so ;) I picked these schools based on match with a POI who is working in the area of my research interests. What do you all think? Thanks in advance!! :D

Your list of schools isn't consistent -- there are some super research-heavy, some super-clinical, some CBT, and some psychodynamic. With that said, it's not a bad mix. A few of those won't look at someone without full-time research assistant, but who am I to dissuade you from applying there?

What is your career goal? You might want to consider that when selecting programs.

Your list of schools isn't consistent -- there are some super research-heavy, some super-clinical, some CBT, and some psychodynamic. With that said, it's not a bad mix. A few of those won't look at someone without full-time research assistant, but who am I to dissuade you from applying there?

What is your career goal? You might want to consider that when selecting programs.

I realize that its a pretty eclectic mix. I've mostly picked based on mentors interested in my research interests. I lean mostly CBT but think psychodynamic is important to learn too. And I'd like a balanced program (in an ideal world). I want to be a clinician but really enjoy research and want to keep the academia path open as well.

Which are the programs you're referring to, that only accept students with a full-time 1 year RA experience?

Hello...I have that same question....

undergrad GPA 3.4
Graduate Masters 4.0
GRE total 800 400Q 400v writing a 4

Do I have a shot at Ph D programs? I am applying to UCI USC UCLA APU

So I am currently a Junior at a top 50 liberal arts school, and I plan on applying to equal emphasis PhD clinical programs next year. I am looking for any input on my chances, and on things that I can do in the next year to increase my chances. Here is an overview of my experiences

-Major- Psychology and Music
-Biological Psychology Concentration and College Honors Program- both of which require a senior thesis that will be in the area I have done most of my research in

-GPA- 3.9, Psych GPA- 3.92 (will be either 3.88 or 3.93 after this semester depending on my current psych class)

-GREs- I'm typically a good tester. I will be happy to get between 1300 and 1350 (if its any indication I got a 2200 on the SATs which was okay at the time)

Research Experience
Started research in Cognitive Neuroscience Lab at the beginning of sophomore year. I have two major concerns here-
1) I do research in memory and attention, but I really want to work with a grad adviser who studies mental disorders or brain damage (I ultimately plan on going into clinical neuropsych research/practice
-my lab also studies addiction but I can't get involved with those projects right now
2) I have done two presentations, but only at my own school's advanced research colloquium and the summer research colloquium (and I don't even know if those things count). I do not have any publications and I'm afraid I may not get any before I leave. Best case scenario I'll be one author out of 9 or 10.

Clinical experience-

I worked at a group home for criminally committed patients the summer before my sophomore year. I am going to do a clinically related internship this semester, I'm just not sure what yet.

Other thoughts-

I plan on applying for a few national fellowships that would fund my graduate study, which would obviously give me an advantage in the application process.

I may look into working in a different lab this summer to have some more clinically-relevant research experience.

Finally- Here are some schools I'm looking very seriously at applying to. They all either have a clinical neuropsych program, or have very solid neuroscience programs that would help me get experience there:

UCSD/SDSU
University of Colorado- Boulder
UPenn
Boston University
Northwestern University Medical School
University of Oregon
UCLA
Duke
USC
Washington University- St. Louis
University of Michigan
University of Washington Seattle
University of Cincinatti
SUNY Stony Brook

I'd really appreciate any input at all

So I am currently a Junior at a top 50 liberal arts school, and I plan on applying to equal emphasis PhD clinical programs next year. I am looking for any input on my chances, and on things that I can do in the next year to increase my chances. Here is an overview of my experiences

-Major- Psychology and Music
-Biological Psychology Concentration and College Honors Program- both of which require a senior thesis that will be in the area I have done most of my research in

-GPA- 3.9, Psych GPA- 3.92 (will be either 3.88 or 3.93 after this semester depending on my current psych class)

-GREs- I'm typically a good tester. I will be happy to get between 1300 and 1350 (if its any indication I got a 2200 on the SATs which was okay at the time)

Research Experience
Started research in Cognitive Neuroscience Lab at the beginning of sophomore year. I have two major concerns here-
1) I do research in memory and attention, but I really want to work with a grad adviser who studies mental disorders or brain damage (I ultimately plan on going into clinical neuropsych research/practice
-my lab also studies addiction but I can't get involved with those projects right now
2) I have done two presentations, but only at my own school's advanced research colloquium and the summer research colloquium (and I don't even know if those things count). I do not have any publications and I'm afraid I may not get any before I leave. Best case scenario I'll be one author out of 9 or 10.

Clinical experience-

I worked at a group home for criminally committed patients the summer before my sophomore year. I am going to do a clinically related internship this semester, I'm just not sure what yet.

Other thoughts-

I plan on applying for a few national fellowships that would fund my graduate study, which would obviously give me an advantage in the application process.

I may look into working in a different lab this summer to have some more clinically-relevant research experience.

Finally- Here are some schools I'm looking very seriously at applying to. They all either have a clinical neuropsych program, or have very solid neuroscience programs that would help me get experience there:

UCSD/SDSU
University of Colorado- Boulder
UPenn
Boston University
Northwestern University Medical School
University of Oregon
UCLA
Duke
USC
Washington University- St. Louis
University of Michigan
University of Washington Seattle
University of Cincinatti
SUNY Stony Brook

I'd really appreciate any input at all

I think that it's great that you're looking ahead and soliciting feedback to be more competitive. Your list contains some of the top research programs in the country so you will need more high quality research experience (honors thesis that you can submit before applying for publication, publications from the lab(s) you are working in, national conference presentations, going to a masters program to obtain more research experience) to stand a chance at an interview. Even if you got more research experience you'd need to add some lower tier programs otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot. I know it can be really hard as an undergrad to obtain such experience but anything you can do to maximize your experience before applying will be well worth it.

I think that it's great that you're looking ahead and soliciting feedback to be more competitive. Your list contains some of the top research programs in the country so you will need more high quality research experience (honors thesis that you can submit before applying for publication, publications from the lab(s) you are working in, national conference presentations, going to a masters program to obtain more research experience) to stand a chance at an interview. Even if you got more research experience you'd need to add some lower tier programs otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot. I know it can be really hard as an undergrad to obtain such experience but anything you can do to maximize your experience before applying will be well worth it.

I agree - you will need more experience. These are not "equal-emphasis" programs for the most part. If you are set on these programs, and you don't get in, 2 or so years of full-time research should make you more competitive.

When I say equal-emphasis, I really mean clinical-scientist/Boulder model schools. I could obviously stand to add some of the "lower-tier" schools, but I don't think I will simply because I don't want to go to a lower-tier school (which I don't think is entirely unreasonable). Those schools are listed in my order of preference. I plan on searching for a few more. One of my biggest concerns is that I'm afraid of wasting all of the money applying (apps, visiting, etc.) if I have absolutely no chance. At the same time, I don't want to screw myself over by only applying to a few schools to save money if I actually have a shot. I know I could apply again after working in an RA position for two years, but I'd really really rather not. I am committed enough that I'll do it if it comes down to that.

When I say equal-emphasis, I really mean clinical-scientist/Boulder model schools. I could obviously stand to add some of the "lower-tier" schools, but I don't think I will simply because I don't want to go to a lower-tier school (which I don't think is entirely unreasonable). Those schools are listed in my order of preference. I plan on searching for a few more. One of my biggest concerns is that I'm afraid of wasting all of the money applying (apps, visiting, etc.) if I have absolutely no chance.

Then let me be blunt. It's great that you are ambitious etc, but you WILL be wasting your time/money applying to those schools if you don't get a lot more research experience even with your outstanding GPA and assuming you score a 1300 on the GRE. The vast majority of people who get interviewed at the schools you listed above have several peer-reviewed journal articles/national presentations on their CVs.

Then let me be blunt. It's great that you are ambitious etc, but you WILL be wasting your time/money applying to those schools if you don't get a lot more research experience even with your outstanding GPA and assuming you score a 1300 on the GRE. The vast majority of people who get interviewed at the schools you listed above have several peer-reviewed journal articles/national presentations on their CVs.

Yeah, psychmusic--it does kinda seem like all you have right now is a good GPA (for now) and a bunch of scattered volunteer/paraprofessional experiences. You can't possibly know where to apply if you don't know what your GRE score will be (we all plan to get 1300+, after all), etc., and have no established research of your own in your chosen niche. You're way ahead of yourself.