This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow, I must say, you are encouraging.

Psycscientist was right. The institutions (esp the first 3) you listed are cream of the crop--they literally won't even look at applications with GREs under at least 1100 combined. Even top masters programs want at least 1000. Also, it's impossible to project on your chances without info about your research experience--those first schools are only research--without it you have no chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am recent graduate from a ranked liberal arts school.

Major: B.S. in Psychology, with a second major in Politics
GPA: 3.25
GRE: V, 600. Q, 600. A, 4.5

Relevant work/Extracurricular experience:
Active Minds member, prepared demonstrations for events
Psi Chi
Art therapy with geriatric patients
Therapeutic Staff Support in schools

I am currently enrolled in a part-time 60 credit clinical-counseling masters program since the start of Fall 2011. My interests are in social-cognitive functioning among adolescents, with a particular focus on social anxiety disorder and depression. I am primarily interested in social skills training and cognitive behavioral therapy.

While I am currently enrolled in a counseling masters program, I have become interested in school psychology, which allows me to work with kids with social-cognitive and communicative issues. As well, the career path and job security of school psychologists has been enticing.

My further education goals would be ultimately to earn a Psy.D, because I would be interested in doing more than just assessment. I know that I would not be interested in research or university teaching, although I would like to be up-to-date on research. However, I also know that my work experience and under-grad GPA are to be desired. I would like to work in more "entry-level" mental health facilities to gain experience while I complete my education. Especially, I am interested in gaining experience in social skills training.

My schools of interest are:
Temple (Ed.S)
PCOM (M.S., School Psych Psy.D)
Lehigh (Ed.S)

Am I being realistic in my career and my "experiential" goals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am recent graduate from a ranked liberal arts school.

Major: B.S. in Psychology, with a second major in Politics
GPA: 3.25
GRE: V, 600. Q, 600. A, 4.5

Relevant work/Extracurricular experience:
Active Minds member, prepared demonstrations for events
Psi Chi
Art therapy with geriatric patients
Therapeutic Staff Support in schools

I am currently enrolled in a part-time 60 credit clinical-counseling masters program since the start of Fall 2011. My interests are in social-cognitive functioning among adolescents, with a particular focus on social anxiety disorder and depression. I am primarily interested in social skills training and cognitive behavioral therapy.

While I am currently enrolled in a counseling masters program, I have become interested in school psychology, which allows me to work with kids with social-cognitive and communicative issues. As well, the career path and job security of school psychologists has been enticing.

My further education goals would be ultimately to earn a Psy.D, because I would be interested in doing more than just assessment. I know that I would not be interested in research or university teaching, although I would like to be up-to-date on research. However, I also know that my work experience and under-grad GPA are to be desired. I would like to work in more "entry-level" mental health facilities to gain experience while I complete my education. Especially, I am interested in gaining experience in social skills training.

My schools of interest are:
Temple (Ed.S)
PCOM (M.S., School Psych Psy.D)
Lehigh (Ed.S)

Am I being realistic in my career and my "experiential" goals?

Are you planning to finish your masters program? Or do you want to switch to school psych right away? I don't know much about school psych, but I think you could go either way, and if your masters program has a hearty dose of assessment coursework it will only strengthen your skills.

Are you planning to finish your masters program? Or do you want to switch to school psych right away? I don't know much about school psych, but I think you could go either way, and if your masters program has a hearty dose of assessment coursework it will only strengthen your skills.

Currently, I do not plan on finishing my masters. I would either like to finish up next semester or drop out by Christmas to concentrate on getting clinical experience and researching school psych programs and positions. In either case, I do not see a future for me at my current program.

To my knowledge, there are assessment classes at my program, but I am not sure whether a school would only hire Ed.S's.

Edit: These assessment courses are in career counseling, personality, and intro to assessment.

Currently, I do not plan on finishing my masters. I would either like to finish up next semester or drop out by Christmas to concentrate on getting clinical experience and researching school psych programs and positions. In either case, I do not see a future for me at my current program.

To my knowledge, there are assessment classes at my program, but I am not sure whether a school would only hire Ed.S's.

Edit: These assessment courses are in career counseling, personality, and intro to assessment.

I don't think an unfinished degree coupled with your low numbers will look good to a program, though as I'm in a clinical program I don't know what acceptance rates are like for school psych.

I don't think an unfinished degree coupled with your low numbers will look good to a program, though as I'm in a clinical program I don't know what acceptance rates are like for school psych.

Thank you for your advice. Yeah, I was afraid of this. I knew there would be a stigma attached to transferring or dropping out. What should I do to improve my chances?

Thank you for your advice. Yeah, I was afraid of this. I knew there would be a stigma attached to transferring or dropping out. What should I do to improve my chances?

Finish the program with a high a GPA as possible.

Hi, I have a BA in psychology from a university in Israel, even though I'm a US citizen.

Major: BA in Psychology, Anthropology and Sociology.
GPA: 91.4, psych GPA 93.33
GRE: V(730-800), Q(750-800), A(don't have the score yet)
Psych GRE: don't have the score yet, but I'm expecting something around the 95 percentile.

My list of schools:

American University
George Washinton University
George Mason University
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
University of Maryland - College Park (counseling)
University of Maryland - Baltimore County
Boston University
University of Massachusetts - Boston
Suffolk University
Duke University
Rutgers
University of Illinois at Chicago
Loyola University of Chicago
Northwestern University

I'm basing my choices on geographical limitations and 3-4 research interests that I would like to work on. I'm thinking about adding another one, I really want to get in this year.

Your unrelated pub might be able to show how you can stick with a project and be useful in that regard. The biggest hole I see in your app (and you have great stats!) is in terms of data analysis and presentation/publication. How many stats classes have you taken? Have you done any presentations yet?

I think you're competitive at about half the schools on your list. The others might be more of a crapshoot depending on who else applies. Good luck!!! :luck:

Your unrelated pub might be able to show how you can stick with a project and be useful in that regard. The biggest hole I see in your app (and you have great stats!) is in terms of data analysis and presentation/publication. How many stats classes have you taken? Have you done any presentations yet?

I think you're competitive at about half the schools on your list. The others might be more of a crapshoot depending on who else applies. Good luck!!! :luck:

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate that you take the time to answer so many questions.

I took a lot of statistics courses, 4 or 5, and I did statistical analysis on two of the research projects I worked on (in SPSS and STATISTICA). Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to give any presentations and the only publications I have are "in preparation" and unrelated to my interests. Do you think that will be a serious drawback?

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate that you take the time to answer so many questions.

I took a lot of statistics courses, 4 or 5, and I did statistical analysis on two of the research projects I worked on (in SPSS and STATISTICA). Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to give any presentations and the only publications I have are "in preparation" and unrelated to my interests. Do you think that will be a serious drawback?

I think you have a pretty good combination of factors working to your advantage. Some POIs might be willing to overlook the lack of pubs/pres because of your excellent GREs and grades. They also may take into consideration that you're outside the US, so you might not have had the same presentation opportunities than in the US. (Not sure if that's true, but it's a guess...I really don't know what presentation venues there are in Israel!)

I would recommend playing up the stats experience and other research experience to make up for the lack of pubs. POIs like to see evidence that you can produce, so your best bet might be to highlight the skills you have that one would assume would contribute to a future producer of research.

question: would it be worth writing a review article to submit to an undergraduate research journal? I don't see how it could hurt, but I'm not sure if it would really be worth the effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not. Empirical articles in peer-reviewed journals are the most bang for your buck. If you're going to write a review article, it would be best to submit it to a good journal.

agree 100% w/this

-could you submit the work based on the presentations you've done as 1st authored posters to a national conference?
- are there other ways you can advocate for yourself in the labs you are in (or w/ other professors) to get some opportunities to present/write? Do the people you work with know your long-term plans? In my lab we place extra attention on helping RAs build their CVs if we know they are applying to clin psych programs.

It might be hard to get into American, they're considered pretty competitive.

It might be hard to get into American, they're considered pretty competitive.

Is this directed at me?
That's a little weird because for some reason I had American pegged as one of the safer choices.

Yeah, they like applicants to have a lot of research experience. I got an interview there and I had two years of research experience and two poster presentations.

So, here's what I've got. Any help would be appreciated!

cGPA: 3.30
Major (English): 3.60
Upper-Division: 3.51
Last 60 hours (I have 155 UG hours): 3.66
Psychology (Post-Bacc):3.75
Graduate (M.S. Child Development): 3.78

GRE: 720 V, 640 Q, (who does that?), 5.5 A

Yeah, that's a lot of GPA's.

I have 2 years of research experience in a ped psych lab, along with 2 years of M.S. research, a first-author pub of my thesis in a peer-reviewed journal, a first-author poster presentation at a national ped psych conference, and a couple other pubs submitted for consideration. I also have some experience in personality disorders. My area of interest is the interaction effects between anxiety and mood disorders; I've been doing ped psych stuff because it's where my background is, and there are no mood or anxiety researchers at my university.

Letters of rec are very strong; 1 each from the DCT at my university (took classes from him as a grad student, worked in his lab, and he was on my thesis committee), my graduate thesis advisor, and a clinical letter from the 2 years I've worked for the crisis intervention service at the university.

I'm looking for mostly equal-emphasis programs. I'm also looking at a couple of master's programs, although I'm not sure which yet.

Here's my list. Any ideas or suggestions on additions or cuts would be great.

UNC
UT - Southwestern
Florida State
SUNY - Binghamton
SUNY - Stony Brook
Northern Illinois
Ohio University
University of Houston
Wyoming
Oklahoma State
Northwestern - Feinberg

I feel like I could definitely use some more lower-tier schools, but I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas?

Here goes....

GPA
cGPA: 3.57
Psychology GPA (wasn't my major): ~3.7

GRE:
800Q 700V 5AW
Will take Psych GRE in April

Clinical experience:
-Starting to volunteer with a companionship program for high-functioning clinical populations with mental illnesses (by the time I apply, I'd be volunteering for about a year here)

-Summer intern in behavioral modification clinic (working mostly with children with autism)

-Worked with patient with multiple sclerosis (yes, I know, not really mental illness related)

-Summer intern at elderly home

Research experience:
-1 year undergrad intern at lab-bench neurology lab

-Been working as a full-time RA for 1.5 years (will continue to work here until I leave for grad school) after college. This is pretty much my most significant clinical research experience. I do a myriad of tasks here including recruiting subjects, running the experiment, assisting in the data analysis, assisting in miscellaneous things like IRB approval processes, paper writing, poster making in addition to training new people. I also have a very good relationship with the PI and the researchers here (whom I work with every day).

Publications:
-1 poster in physiology field (4th author out of 6 I think)
-1 poster in neuroscience (next to last author out of like 10)
-1 publication from a lab I interned at some years back in oncology
-1 pending (hopefully) publication in clinical physio-psychology

Other than the oncology lab, my other publications are from the current lab I'm RA at. They are so diverse because this is a huge lab, with multiple researchers in different fields, they are all full-fledged researchers in their own right, with one PI heading everyone.

I'm really trying to get a publication where I'm either first or second author, but with having my actual JOB as an RA (who in my lab is NOT to write papers) and my lack of statistical expertise, it's been tough. Add on top of that the fact that the topic of my current lab is very physiology based (with psychology too of course), so it's hard to try to write papers on projects I don't even understand. I've dabbled on various projects, and all the results were null.

My goal is to get into a PhD, neuropsychology tracked (or orientation) program in clinical psychology. Amongst my top choices are Georgia State, Northwestern Feinberg, and Boston U. My undergrad was a competitive top 15 school if that matters at all.

Honestly, on any given day, I'd think my stats are not bad. But in comparison to some of the other posts I've seen around here, I am afraid how I'll be able to compete with people with masters degrees, multiple primary author publications and conferences. I'm actually lucky that my lab even allows my name on posters/papers at all, since they dont' pay me to write papers, they pay me to help with the experiment.

Alright, enough complaining, WAMC?!

Here goes....

GRE:
800Q 700V 5AW
Will take Psych GRE in April

Alright, enough complaining, WAMC?!

Wait so are you applying this year or next year? Either way I think you will be competitive at a lot of programs given your stats/research as long as the match w/ the POI is there. As far as 1st/2nd author publications, is there a post-doc/grad student in the lab willing to help you out re: publication? In my lab we really try to help RAs get 1st authored presentations/pubs even if it means more work for us (re: supervising data analysis, writing etc). Although this is only the case for RAs who show initiative (e.g., lit review, come up with some basic hypos) and frankly usually requires them to put in time outside of their "job."

Wait so are you applying this year or next year? Either way I think you will be competitive at a lot of programs given your stats/research as long as the match w/ the POI is there. As far as 1st/2nd author publications, is there a post-doc/grad student in the lab willing to help you out re: publication? In my lab we really try to help RAs get 1st authored presentations/pubs even if it means more work for us (re: supervising data analysis, writing etc). Although this is only the case for RAs who show initiative (e.g., lit review, come up with some basic hypos) and frankly usually requires them to put in time outside of their "job."

I did planned to apply this year, but for personal reasons, decided to take off another year and wait until the next cycle. Plus, I took the GRE early because i didn't want to take the new one (from hearing others' experiences, I'm pretty glad I did).

We have an atypical lab, where even though it's headed by 1 PI, most of the other people working there are researchers in their own field. The lab does a lot of cross-field integrative work, with each researcher contributing their own area of expertise. The graduate students that are there are more useless than they should be, they pretty much do whatever it is that benefits their career and then push other work to everyone else [one of our grad students doesn't seem to do anything at all, and constantly comes to ME for basic questions about the experiment]. If only my lab would work the same way as yours. But I can't complain, since I started this lab without knowing a thing about human subjects research, and now I'm training people in it.

Another thing is the fact that our lab collects a lot of data from one experiment, and then the publishing part is more of data-mining/data-fishing. Whatever you can find, you can publish. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found myself anything, although I am working on it.

I'm quite surprised you said I have a good chance "given my research," I'm not trying to fish for compliments, but surely all this talk of "you need to have XYZ first authored papers to be competitive" is scary. Numbers-wise, I'm not concerned (of course, my cGPA is not exactly a 4.0 or anything, but that's something I can't change now)...it's the whole publications issues thats got me stressing out at times.

I've been reading here for a while, just getting used to the idea of actually applying very shortly to a PhD program. Does anyone have any input on Portland State University's psychology program?

I'm stuck here in PDX because of family - young kids, shared custody, not even considering moving anywhere - so I'm wondering how PSU's PhD program is perceived across the country.

Also, and the reason I posted here, I want to see what you guys think about my stats. How would I do at some place other than PSU? I am focused on applied developmental - researching early interventions and preschool behavioral issues.

Degrees:
1st BA - History, Texas A&M University, 1998 GPA about 2.4 (yes, really that low)
2nd BA - Psychology, PSU, 2012 GPA 3.8; 4.0 in classes actually taken at PSU (33 hours so far, not transferred from 1st degree)

GRE - unofficial results from 10/2011:
720-800 Quant
750-800 Verbal

LORs:
One from full professor with whom I have been working, great reference promised; two from work - manager and boss, should have very good things to say about me but not exactly pertinent to grad school

Research assistant:
Two terms in a lab focusing on early childhood interventions; just doing lit review for a grant application, nothing more than grunt work

Real life experience:
10+ years as a classroom teacher working in a preschool; last two specializing with children with behavioral issues; credential in Infant/Toddler development (CDA)

Articles:
Proposal accepted for article in a preschool teachers' magazine, nothing scientific, just teacher-to-teacher stuff

I've already met with the professor with whom I would like to work, his research focuses on pre-k/early intervention which is my area of interest and experience. Taking his undergrad class next term, too. So how's it all look? Could I get into a better school than PSU?

I did planned to apply this year, but for personal reasons, decided to take off another year and wait until the next cycle. Plus, I took the GRE early because i didn't want to take the new one (from hearing others' experiences, I'm pretty glad I did).

We have an atypical lab, where even though it's headed by 1 PI, most of the other people working there are researchers in their own field. The lab does a lot of cross-field integrative work, with each researcher contributing their own area of expertise. The graduate students that are there are more useless than they should be, they pretty much do whatever it is that benefits their career and then push other work to everyone else [one of our grad students doesn't seem to do anything at all, and constantly comes to ME for basic questions about the experiment]. If only my lab would work the same way as yours. But I can't complain, since I started this lab without knowing a thing about human subjects research, and now I'm training people in it.

Another thing is the fact that our lab collects a lot of data from one experiment, and then the publishing part is more of data-mining/data-fishing. Whatever you can find, you can publish. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found myself anything, although I am working on it.

I'm quite surprised you said I have a good chance "given my research," I'm not trying to fish for compliments, but surely all this talk of "you need to have XYZ first authored papers to be competitive" is scary. Numbers-wise, I'm not concerned (of course, my cGPA is not exactly a 4.0 or anything, but that's something I can't change now)...it's the whole publications issues thats got me stressing out at times.

It's true that first-authored publications/presentations are very helpful for graduate school. But it is also true that many applicants to even the best programs do not have a first authored publication prior to entry. Even though you do not have 1st authored items on you vita, your 2 posters, 1 paper show that you have participated in a research team. I usually tend to be the pessimistic one of this forum, but I honestly do think your stats will get you past the first cut (essential a 3.6 cGPA, 1500 GRE, and more than 1 yr of research experience). I think you'll be intriguing to a lot of neuro focused programs given the different experiences you've had provided you find a way to tie them together in your statements and have good LORs. It is also my experience that people with a neuropsych focus (although someone with more of a neuro-focus would know more so hopefully others will chime in) tend to have less publications when they apply and in general due to the nature of the work, so I am also taking that into consideration.

Given what you said about the lab you are in, my advice would be to work on finding something you can present (1st author) at a national conference. At many conferences, posters are works in progress (no one expects the worlds best results and I've seen many many posters present mainly null results with some very minor finding). I imagine any competition for posters in the lab would be much less than one for publications.

I would also say that if stats is a weakness it would make sense to get extra practice (take a class, buy one of those books that comes with a CD tutorial, ask a friend) because you'll definitely need those skills in grad school. Any work you do now will help you in the long run.

GRE scores from the "Revised" GRE are apparently much, much different (higher) than the older version. Even with the (unofficial) range that has been issued, it is clear that people are getting much higher scores on this new version. I would recommend people list their percentile scores to get an accurate picture of what the scores are--if ETS has even issued them yet, that is (?). How can we even generalize about these scores without knowing 1) What the exact score is at this moment, and 2) How they compare to the old model (percentile rank)?

Something to think about before advising based on the high scores that applicants are posting. It may be misleading people to apply to programs that are more competitive than they will match with.

GRE scores from the "Revised" GRE are apparently much, much different (higher) than the older version. Even with the (unofficial) range that has been issued, it is clear that people are getting much higher scores on this new version. I would recommend people list their percentile scores to get an accurate picture of what the scores are--if ETS has even issued them yet, that is (?). How can we even generalize about these scores without knowing 1) What the exact score is at this moment, and 2) How they compare to the old model (percentile rank)?

Something to think about before advising based on the high scores that applicants are posting. It may be misleading people to apply to programs that are more competitive than they will match with.

The new Gre scores are out! The predicted range (for me at least) is pretty accurate :D!

I'm looking to move to just about anywhere. I'm graduating in Spring, taking the GRE this Tuesday, and am looking for a program that is not too costly, that is APA accredited, and that I am able to fit into. My GPA, as of right now, with one semester to go and this semester to get through, is about a 2.7. I should have it raised to a 2.9 or so by the end of my graduation, and I expect to get around a 1300 on the GRE (I was told to add about 200 points to your SAT score for a decent prediction). Could someone help me make a list of schools that would be a good fit for me? Or point me in the direction to a site that shows statistics of incoming students and their GRE/GPAs? Thanks.

I expect to get around a 1300 on the GRE (I was told to add about 200 points to your SAT score for a decent prediction). .

I've never heard that one before. Study hard, and good luck with that.

I'm not sure if this was partly in response to my post but...

Seriously?!?!?

I'm almost 40, I have a 4.0 in upper level psychology and statistics classes, and I know how to study for a test. My predicted scores are an accurate reflection of my ability, not a result of the test being easier. Based on the information put out by ETS my percentile ranks are 99% for Verbal and 76-99% for Quantitative no matter how you look at it.

Sorry if I sound a little defensive but automatically assuming the new test is easier instead of giving people due credit for their hard work is not cool :mad:

I'm looking to move to just about anywhere. I'm graduating in Spring, taking the GRE this Tuesday, and am looking for a program that is not too costly, that is APA accredited, and that I am able to fit into. My GPA, as of right now, with one semester to go and this semester to get through, is about a 2.7. I should have it raised to a 2.9 or so by the end of my graduation, and I expect to get around a 1300 on the GRE (I was told to add about 200 points to your SAT score for a decent prediction). Could someone help me make a list of schools that would be a good fit for me? Or point me in the direction to a site that shows statistics of incoming students and their GRE/GPAs? Thanks.

I used a book called "guide to clinical psychology" (or something like that), and it probably has most of the information you are looking for.

I'm not sure if this was partly in response to my post but...

Seriously?!?!?

I'm almost 40, I have a 4.0 in upper level psychology and statistics classes, and I know how to study for a test. My predicted scores are an accurate reflection of my ability, not a result of the test being easier. Based on the information put out by ETS my percentile ranks are 99% for Verbal and 76-99% for Quantitative no matter how you look at it.

Sorry if I sound a little defensive but automatically assuming the new test is easier instead of giving people due credit for their hard work is not cool :mad:

It's not personal. New GRE-takers don't have scores or percentile ranks yet. How can that compare?? Clearly an estimate of some kind of range is just an estimate until all scores are calculated. Your age and GPA have nothing to do with that. I think we would all be 1500's and in the 99th percentile if we were to project based on our GPA and self-reflected abilities. Nothing personal. Again, it hasn't been scored yet--no one can possibly project based on unscored estimates!!

can anyone maybe write me a list of maybe 10 schools with the easiest psyd programs to get into? I'd really appreciate that. I need to have some before I send off my GRE scores on tuesday. Otherwise, it'll cost me 23 bucks later each time.

can anyone maybe write me a list of maybe 10 schools with the easiest psyd programs to get into? I'd really appreciate that. I need to have some before I send off my GRE scores on tuesday. Otherwise, it'll cost me 23 bucks later each time.

Listen, I understand not wanting to waste the free scores, but really? Asking other people to do your research for you and tell you where to apply? That's not how it works. You don't seem ready for this process if you are just taking the GRE and still don't have any solid ideas of where to apply. If I were you, I would take the GRE, try to build up my GPA and experience, and apply after I had a better idea of what kind of a personal and financial commitment it is to apply for these programs.

I don't mean to come across as harsh, it's just that the people you are soliciting have spent many, many hours educating and preparing themselves for this application process and your request belies a lack of intention to do the same. Do your own research, study this forum and other resources, and learn from the information that has already been put forth.

Hey. I am asking a question for my younger brother who is applying to Clinical Psychology programs.

My brother has a Bachelors in Psychology with a cumulative GPA of 3.8. He also received a Masters in Community Counseling and received a 3.79 GPA. He chose to do an Independent Research Paper as his research project for his Masters degree on Counselor Burnout. In addition, my brother has worked on an inpatient behavioral health unit for over a year. His counseling internship was at a State outpatient mental health facility and the inpatient addictions unit. His practicum was at his university counseling clinic and at a middle school. In all of his positions, he provided therapy and conducted initial assessments of clients ranging from ages 13 and above. Additionally, he tutored psychology for 3 years and classes ranging from Abnormal Psychology to Research Methods to Statistics. Because he felt his resume was weak, he took more grad level courses in psychology (Biological Basis of Behavior, Advanced Social Psychology, Advanced Personality Theory, Statistics, etc.) in order to strengthen his resume and prove he could succeed at the graduate level. He is currently trying to get transferred to the assessment department at his current job.

I already know my brother does not have much research experience outside of his independent research on Counselor Burnout; however, given the overall depth of his resume, what are his chances of getting into a clinical psych Ph.D or Psy.D? As a safety option, he is applying to Ed.S programs in school psychology. With a Masters in Counseling which is LCPC eligible, he figured the NCSP would boost his current credentials. What are his realistic chances? Will his lack of research experience hurt him the most?

Edit: The programs he plans to apply to are:

George Washington University's Psy.D in Psychology

Howard University's Ph.D in Clinical Psychology (he has expressed an interest in conducting research on interventions for people from minority backgrounds diagnosed with a personality disorder. It was inspired by his experience @ the outpatient mental health facility where one of his most interesting clients was an adult African-American female who had Borderline Personality Disorder and other diagnoses. He already knows the name of the professor and is currently reading the professor's work)

Roosevelt University's Psy.D in Clinical Psychology (my brother received his Bachelors from there; originally was going for his Masters, but was dismissed due to the Registrar's office refusing to accept the death of our father as a valid reason for his subpar performance. The director of the MA programs still remembered him and encouraged him to reapply under the Psy.D)

James Madison University's Ed.S in School Psychology (my brother identified this as his safety school; NASP-Accredited, APA approved school psychology internship)

Chicago School of Professional Psychology's Ed.S in School Psychology (my brother's other safety school; his concern includes funding because it is so expensive)

National-Louis University Ed.D in School Psychology (his concern with this option is that the Ed.D will only be NASP, not APA accredited even though he will get an APA-approved internship through the Illinois School Psychology Consortium)

Last edited:
Hey. I am asking a question for my younger brother who is applying to Clinical Psychology programs.

Does he have good GRE scores? Does he actually want to do research? If he does he should add more Ph.D. programs because his numbers are pretty good. If he doesn't then he pretty much has a 100% chance of getting in somewhere like CSPP. The idea that he only has 6 schools and they include Ph.D, Psy.D., Ed.S, Ed.D makes me think he actually doesn't know what he wants. That would be a good thing to figure out before applying. If he actually wants a Ph.D. he should go for that and look for POIs who encourage some research diversity within their lab...they do exist.

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I am in desperate need of a WAMC thread in my daily life, but I digress.

Here are my stats:
Cumulative GPA- 3.61 (A little low due to bio and chem for majors freshman year... grrr)
Psychology GPA- 3.927
GRE- No official scores until 12/1, but my range is V: 580-680 and Q: 600-700.
On the old scale, somewhere between 1180-1380.

Research Experience
- At graduation, three semesters in an anxiety research lab running participants, data entry, coding, should be getting a good/strong LOR from them.
- At graduation, two semesters in a research lab focused on temperament and early reading research with the Florida Center for Reading Research. I've gotten assessment experience working with pre-schoolers and will be getting a LOR from them as well.

No publications, but I did establish a non-profit organization on my campus, Camp Kesem. We provide a free week of summer camp to kids who have a parent affected by cancer; we partnered with LIVESTRONG, and after winning a national contest, I won my chapter after two years on the waiting list:)D). If all else fails, I will never leave my school and stay with Camp Kesem forever... plausible? I will be asking the professor who is my organization's advisor for a LOR, but I'm not sure if he'll be able/willing to write a strong one on my behalf. I have another psych professor in the wings who I am going to ask as well.

I also have some University-level teaching experience- I lead a class of 17 freshmen in a colloquium. Leaders are invited by the University, selected, and trained by the Dean of Undergrad Admissions, who is also writing me a LOR. I'm pretending this might be relevant to an application, but I doubt it.

I want to go to Rutgers for a PsyD more than anything, but I'm looking at GWU, C.W. Post, and Yeshiva. I'm also looked at UCF and USF for Clinical PhD programs. Obviously, I will be doing more research about schools and programs ASAP, but those are my front-runners right now.

This was long... but let me know- WAMC?

THANKS!

Does he have good GRE scores? Does he actually want to do research? If he does he should add more Ph.D. programs because his numbers are pretty good. If he doesn't then he pretty much has a 100% chance of getting in somewhere like CSPP. The idea that he only has 6 schools and they include Ph.D, Psy.D., Ed.S, Ed.D makes me think he actually doesn't know what he wants. That would be a good thing to figure out before applying. If he actually wants a Ph.D. he should go for that and look for POIs who encourage some research diversity within their lab...they do exist.

I've been saying that for months to him =|
he said his POIs aren't catered to his specific goals. He said he wants to teach and practice, but his ideal was to get an EdS or EdD then transition into PhD for clinical psychology. He also suggested the Ed programs are safety net options (he should remove those imho) Yeah, I disagree with it too in fact so it's not just you - I've been saying it for eons.
I think he should get some research experience

Honors Senior in Private Liberal Arts College

1.5 years research experience (2 labs), presentation in December, preparing manuscript.
GPA: 3.98 general, 4.0 Psych and minor
GREs: 170V (800 old version), 164Q (790 old version), 4.5AW.
Psych: Next week.

Am on the young side for applicants (graduated in 3 years, with an unrelated minor.)

LORs: 1 from PI in external lab, 1 from professor in college with whom have done research and discussed extensively, one from a prof who liked me but isn't very research oriented.

Applying to clinical psychology in NY and NJ with emphasis on neuro.

Rutgers
Queen's College
Fordham
NYU
St. John's
Princeton
LIU - Brooklyn

WAMC?
Thanks!!

1.5 years research experience (2 labs), presentation in December, preparing manuscript.

Am on the young side for applicants (graduated in 3 years, with an unrelated minor.)

LORs: 1 from PI in external lab, 1 from professor in college with whom have done research and discussed extensively, one from a prof who liked me but isn't very research oriented.

Rutgers
Queen's College
Fordham
NYU
St. John's
Princeton
LIU - Brooklyn

WAMC?
Thanks!!

Guessing that is not 1/5 yrs of dedicated research time? Most applicants have 1 to 2 years of post-bacc research experience. GREs and grades are fine, but those typically just get you over the bubble, you have to offer something in addition. Rutgers is a PsyD no? Or do they also have a phd? NYU isnt clinical anymore, but strictly research so I would think you would need more research experience. Fordham is about match and the more research the better. LIU is very psychodynamic and cares less about research so you might be fine. Queens if you are doing NP requires research. I cant speak towards Princeton.

PS. I am at Fordham and work for one of the two NP faculty, technically the one I am with is Cognitive neuroscience and not NP, the other, Dr. Rivera Mindt is NP, very good NP actually, but she is pretty highly selective, so Fordham, without much research experience, will be a long shot.

Good luck

Rutgers
Queen's College
Fordham
NYU
St. John's
Princeton
LIU - Brooklyn

WAMC?
Thanks!!

You don't say what your research experience is? Did you volunteer in a lab? Do your own projects? Where do you stand on authorship for the presentation and manuscript? Was all of this in neuro, and more specifically, in the area of neuro that you want to focus on?

Guessing that is not 1/5 yrs of dedicated research time? Most applicants have 1 to 2 years of post-bacc research experience. GREs and grades are fine, but those typically just get you over the bubble, you have to offer something in addition. Rutgers is a PsyD no? Or do they also have a phd? NYU isnt clinical anymore, but strictly research so I would think you would need more research experience. Fordham is about match and the more research the better. LIU is very psychodynamic and cares less about research so you might be fine. Queens if you are doing NP requires research. I cant speak towards Princeton.

PS. I am at Fordham and work for one of the two NP faculty, technically the one I am with is Cognitive neuroscience and not NP, the other, Dr. Rivera Mindt is NP, very good NP actually, but she is pretty highly selective, so Fordham, without much research experience, will be a long shot.

Good luck
Thank you so much for chancing me! And the pointers. I also worry about not having that "something extra" but perhaps someone will consider my SAS or specialized software knowledge that something.

QC is my top choice, I really like the vibe there and several of the professors, but was slightly concerned over the lack of APA accreditation. I have contacted a few professors and I hope they will look at my application closely.

Rutgers has an intensely competitive PhD program. Like Fordham, it's a place I would love to be, but a long shot with my current experience. It's worth a try, though, if I can get over the bubble and interview. Fordham is probably the best school in NYS overall.

I appreciate your being direct. I could definitely use more research experience to apply to the schools that would be the best fit for me. However, I do feel prepared for graduate work. So until February, my focus is on looking positive in applications, while keeping in mind that for the above reason, my entry to grad school may take another year and it's ok if it doesn't work out.

You don't say what your research experience is? Did you volunteer in a lab? Do your own projects? Where do you stand on authorship for the presentation and manuscript? Was all of this in neuro, and more specifically, in the area of neuro that you want to focus on?
I volunteered in one lab for one year, in another for 6 months so far (am currently mid-year - am planning to stay until June.) I also work part time and am in school, of course.

I do data analysis in SAS on a project I was part of, am listed second in the presentation, and third or fourth on the manuscript.

Yes it is all neuro-related, not precisely my interests but close enough and gave me experience to justify my interest to these schools (or at least specific professors at these schools).
Does that make the picture clearer?

I'm applying to some Clinical PhDs, PsyDs, and Counseling PhDs.

My GRE V is 700, Q is 610.
Undergrad GPA of 3.69, 3.97 in Psych. Graduated Magna Cum Laude.
Currently in a Clinical Psych MA, 4.0 GPA.

Clinical:
I worked with kids with developmental disabilities and severe behavioral issues in a school setting for summers and college breaks for roughly a full year in undergrad.
I worked in a residential setting with developmentally delayed girls with behavior issues for about 8 months after college.
I'm currently doing assessments for Social Security Disability. It's a full year practicum. Clients have a wide range of disorders, learning disorders, personality disorders, cognitive impairment, schizophrenia, bipolar, stroke, etc.

I was a teaching assistant for PSY 101, but I pretty much just dropped off testing sheets to be scored. Currently a TA for an undergraduate stats course, grading lots of tests and quizzes and holding office hours.

Research experience:
Currently in the process of completing my master's thesis examining risk-taking behaviors in those exposed to trauma. I have not collected data myself for the study, I am working with a dataset. Should be proposing next semester and hopefully getting it published.

I am supposed to be running participants in my thesis chair's PTSD lab next semester. With the exception of this, I have no research experience.

Clinical:
Eastern Michigan University
University of Houston
Indiana State University PsyD
St Louis University
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Virginia Consortium PsyD
Western Michigan University
Wright State University PsyD

Counseling:
Indiana University - Bloomington
University of Louisville
University of Tennessee - Knoxville

I am worried that I do not have enough research experience for my clinical PhDs. I tried to select programs that weren't extremely research heavy to begin with. I believe that I have good fit with 2 to 3 faculty members at most of the programs. I'm starting to send off transcripts and GREs, and was hoping to get rid of any programs that aren't realistic for me.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
I'm interested in anxiety disorders, affective disorders, and health psychology.

Last edited:
I am interested in applying to experimental/neuroscience programs in California and Oregon and I'm in the process of writing my essays and starting applications. Based on my stats what schools do you think I'll have the best chances getting accepted to?

B.S. in Psychology (cGPA 3.5, PsyGPA 3.65)
GRE - 1100 (took the new test this past weekend but my range ends up being around here)
A.A in Social Science
RA - currently working on a paper to be published as second author
TA for 2 different professors (one for 6 months, the other as of this Fall)
Plenty of extra curriculars
Tutored elementary school children in mathematics for 6 months
Volunteered in the Emergency room for about 4 months
Very strong letters of recommendation
Research interests include - cognition, qualia, neurolinguistics

Ph.D:
UC Berkeley
Stanford
UCSD
Davis
UC Santa Cruz
UC Santa Barbara