This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Longtime lurker, almost done submitting apps to Clinical/Health Psychology PhDs. Went to a smallish, isolated state school...... WAMC?

Programs (interest is in sleep disorders):

U Arizona Clinical Psychology
UC Berkeley Clinical Science
U North Texas Clinical Health Behav. Medicine Consortium
U Florida Clinical & Health Psych
U Alabama Clinical Psych

Graduated Cum Laude in 2010 w/ Dept. Honors in Psychology (major) and Institutional Leadership honors

cGPA: 3.68, psychGPA: 3.90, Last 2 years GPA: 4.00

Research experience:
Honors thesis (1 semester working on pilot project, 1 year on thesis)
1.5 years as undergraduate lab manager of operant conditioning lab (rats & dwarf hamsters)
1.0 year as assistant on social psych project (analysis/coding/manuscript writing)
5 months as research associate for public policy research non-profit (report writing and lit/interview research, paid position)
3 months as sleep tech in prestigious adolescent sleep lab (paid position, won competitive research apprenticeship)

Local/National/International research conference presentations: 23 (13 as first author; mostly on thesis and operant research)
Publications: 2 in progress, will submit soon/early next year (second author on both, not in current field of research interest)

Teaching:
5 semesters as assistant on upper-division psych courses (Learning & Cognition, Biopsych, Research Methods)
Currently a substitute teacher grades 6-12

GRE:
revised GRE test scores (taken 10/11): 1230/309
149 Q (49%; 620 old scale),
160 V (86%; 610 old scale),
4.5 AW (72%)
Psych Subject GRE: 770 (taken in October, only required by one school but sent to all)

Letters of Rec:

Thesis advisor, operant lab manager, and sleep lab PI (all are reportedly very flattering from tenured faculty members)

If I don't get in this round for a PhD I'm also contemplating applying to Boston U's general psych masters to get more experience working with EEG/fMRI and applied clinical assessment, or BC's Master's program in cognitive neuroscience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After lurking for quite some time- Just submitted all of my applications, and very nervous, so here goes:

Stats:
3.5 Undergraduate (psychology major) GPA, 3.9 Graduate GPA (M.A. in psychology)
GRE: 1420 750 Q, 670 V

Research experience:

Undergraduate 2 years in psychology lab (clinical assessment, ran participants, analyzed data, basic lab tasks)

Post-Graduate school 2 years of full time paid psychology lab management at top ranking university (study design, study management, analysis, manuscript writing, extensive clinical assessment experience, training of research staff/graduate students)

Pubs:
3 published or in press (1 first author, 2 second author), 1 in review (thrid author), 2 in prep (1 first author, 2 second author)

Presentations:
3 international conferences (2 second author, 1 third author)

LOR- 3 should be great, all faculty in psychology/psychiatry who know me very well.

Applying to clinical PhD unless otherwise noted
Penn
Temple
Columbia (not clinical)
UCLA
UCB
Yale
Rutgers
SUNY-SB
UT Austin
Northwestern

I know I have been lucky to get some pretty awesome experience- I really tried to make it about fit, and wrote my SoP pretty specifically for each school. However, the competition is KILLER (2%-3% acceptance rates-just insane!), and I can't lie I'm worried. My undergraduate GPA is on the lower side, which could be a problem. I will try again next time, but I would like to get in this year, since I am a bit older (27), so WAMC?

You will do fine. If you want a number on it, I'm willing to place that bet. I would guess a 50% interview ratio (so 5 out of 10 for interviews). I say this simply because you have really no fall-back schools on there, all highly desirable programs.

Good luck

AJ

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted my stats here before but I left out schools and now I have more accurate information.

GPA:

3.51 (Psych s 3.7 but I have heard this is not looked at).

GRE:

I took the new test so I don't have any way to compare my scores to the old score scale. If anyone has a conversion table it would be great.

A- 4.0 (bombed the first essay).
V- 158 (79%)
Q- 149 (49%)

Letters of recommendation:

I will have three strong letters of recommendation. One is from a cognitive psychology professor who runs the research lab I'm in. One is from a clinical psychology professor that advises psi chi (I was president). The third is from a statistics professor that I have taken four courses with.

Other:

I have been doing research with a professor for almost three years now. It is mostly on Visual attention and motion perception/processing. We have used EEG and an Eye tracker.

Member of psi chi and president for one year.

Two poster presentations. One about fmri and eeg and one about statistics (statistics/SAS conference). I will have another about motion perception and EEG this spring.

I am a statistics minor so I have lots of experience using SAS/SPSS/Excel. (does this help at all?)

Schools:

I will be applying next app cycle or the one after that depending on a variety of factors.

Clinical Programs:

Ga state's clinical/neuro

UGA

University of Maine

University of Montana

University of Utah

UAB- Clinical/medical psychology

University of Nebraska Lincoln

University of New Mexico

University of Rochester

University of Tennesee-knoxville

Cognitive/experimental programs:

Ga tech

Uga

University of New mexico

New mexico state

University of Rochester

Thanks so much for any advice,

Stroop

I posted my stats here before but I left out schools and now I have more accurate information.

GPA:

3.51 (Psych s 3.7 but I have heard this is not looked at).

GRE:

I took the new test so I don't have any way to compare my scores to the old score scale. If anyone has a conversion table it would be great.

A- 4.0 (bombed the first essay).
V- 158 (79%)
Q- 149 (49%)

Letters of recommendation:

I will have three strong letters of recommendation. One is from a cognitive psychology professor who runs the research lab I'm in. One is from a clinical psychology professor that advises psi chi (I was president). The third is from a statistics professor that I have taken four courses with.

Other:

I have been doing research with a professor for almost three years now. It is mostly on Visual attention and motion perception/processing. We have used EEG and an Eye tracker.

Member of psi chi and president for one year.

Two poster presentations. One about fmri and eeg and one about statistics (statistics/SAS conference). I will have another about motion perception and EEG this spring.

I am a statistics minor so I have lots of experience using SAS/SPSS/Excel. (does this help at all?)

Schools:

I will be applying next app cycle or the one after that depending on a variety of factors.

Clinical Programs:

Ga state's clinical/neuro

UGA

University of Maine

University of Montana

University of Utah

UAB- Clinical/medical psychology

University of Nebraska Lincoln

University of New Mexico

University of Rochester

University of Tennesee-knoxville

Cognitive/experimental programs:

Ga tech

Uga

University of New mexico

New mexico state

University of Rochester

Thanks so much for any advice,

Stroop

Hmm stats minor yet such a low score on the quantitative? That's a bad sign and will hold you back. Also 3 years of research, anything to show for it (pubs or presentations)???

Hmm stats minor yet such a low score on the quantitative? That's a bad sign and will hold you back. Also 3 years of research, anything to show for it (pubs or presentations)???

Yeah, I think my best bet is to retake the GRE. For some reason I am good at statistics but not good at all other math. It was always funny to me that I wound up being a statistics minor. I am pretty confident that I could raise my scores. As for presentations, I have one for statistics, one for psychology and could have another one this spring.

Thanks,

Stroop

You will do fine. If you want a number on it, I'm willing to place that bet. I would guess a 50% interview ratio (so 5 out of 10 for interviews). I say this simply because you have really no fall-back schools on there, all highly desirable programs.

Good luck

AJ

Thank you for your input! I would LOVE to have 5 interviews, so here's to hoping you win that bet! :luck: Seriously, I think at this point I did what I could do, I put it out there, time to relax and see what comes of it.

There's not much you can do to improve your app. I might consider applying to 2-3 more programs but otherwise good luck!

After lurking for quite some time- Just submitted all of my applications, and very nervous, so here goes:

Stats:

Research experience:

Undergraduate 2 years in psychology lab (clinical assessment, ran participants, analyzed data, basic lab tasks)

Post-Graduate school 2 years of full time paid psychology lab management at top ranking university (study design, study management, analysis, manuscript writing, extensive clinical assessment experience, training of research staff/graduate students)

Pubs:
3 published or in press (1 first author, 2 second author), 1 in review (thrid author), 2 in prep (1 first author, 2 second author)

Presentations:

LOR- 3 should be great, all faculty in psychology/psychiatry who know me very well.

Penn
Temple
Columbia (not clinical)
UCLA
UCB
Yale
Rutgers
SUNY-SB
UT Austin
Northwestern

I know I have been lucky to get some pretty awesome experience- I really tried to make it about fit, and wrote my SoP pretty specifically for each school. However, the competition is KILLER (2%-3% acceptance rates-just insane!), and I can’t lie I’m worried. My undergraduate GPA is on the lower side, which could be a problem. I will try again next time, but I would like to get in this year, since I am a bit older (27), so WAMC?

Alright... Give me your opinions! My GPA is trash, but every other aspect of my application is relatively strong. Applying to a lot of top tier programs, as I'm interested in schizophrenia research, which many times is limited to universities with medical centers nearby. Coincidentally, those programs are tough to get in to.
BU
UF
University of North Texas
UT Southwestern
University of Illinois Chicago
LSU
UNC
Harvard
UT Austin
Wash U-St Louis

GPA: 3.15; 3.26 last 60 hrs (from a school known for grade deflation--one of my rec letters is from the dept chair who I did undergrad research with and my letter from her speaks to this). Took a lot of bio and chem courses which dropped by GPA significantly, but still, grade performance was not stellar in undergrad.
GRE: Q-780 V-670 Subject-780 AWA 5
Research Experience:
1.5 years undergrad, 4 posters
2 years of post-grad research as a study coordinator with well-known researchers in substance abuse and treatment of psychotic disorders (though they aren't clinical psychologists) . Worked on outpatient schizophrenia treatment trials, the DSM Field Trials, TMS depression treatment, and inpatient IV cocaine interaction studies. Only 1 poster from this work, though I'm currently working on 3 manuscripts, but none at the point of submission.
Recs: Very strong; from department chairs and heads of divisions mentioning me in the top 1-2% of RAs they've worked with. One prof mentioned that I was the best undergrad student with data analysis that she's worked with in the past 15 years.
My real question… Assuming that my SOP matches well with potential mentors, will they look past my sub-par GPA, or am I destined for the trash pile?

Alright... Give me your opinions! My GPA is trash, but every other aspect of my application is relatively strong. Applying to a lot of top tier programs, as I’m interested in schizophrenia research, which many times is limited to universities with medical centers nearby. Coincidentally, those programs are tough to get in to.
BU
UF
UT Southwestern
LSU
UNC
Harvard
UT Austin
Wash U-St Louis

GPA: 3.15; 3.26 last 60 hrs (from a school known for grade deflation--one of my rec letters is from the dept chair who I did undergrad research with and my letter from her speaks to this). Took a lot of bio and chem courses which dropped by GPA significantly, but still, grade performance was not stellar in undergrad.
Research Experience:
2 years of post-grad research as a study coordinator with well-known researchers in substance abuse and treatment of psychotic disorders (though they aren’t clinical psychologists) . Worked on outpatient schizophrenia treatment trials, the DSM Field Trials, TMS depression treatment, and inpatient IV cocaine interaction studies. Only 1 poster from this work, though I’m currently working on 3 manuscripts, but none at the point of submission.
Recs: Very strong; from department chairs and heads of divisions mentioning me in the top 1-2% of RAs they've worked with. One prof mentioned that I was the best undergrad student with data analysis that she’s worked with in the past 15 years.
My real question… Assuming that my SOP matches well with potential mentors, will they look past my sub-par GPA, or am I destined for the trash pile?

Apply to lower tier schools. Unfortunately the GPA will be probably a deal breaker at BU, UIC, UNC, Harvard, Wash U and perhaps UF regardless of your (very) strong GREs and recs.

My advice is that if you work (or have worked) with some high-powered people ask them if they'd be willing to call/email the profs you're applying to work with and put in a good word. Things like that go a long way in this world...

Stats:

Research experience:

Pubs:

Presentations:

Penn
Temple
Columbia (not clinical)
UCLA
UCB
Yale
Rutgers
SUNY-SB
UT Austin
Northwestern

I know I have been lucky to get some pretty awesome experience- I really tried to make it about fit, and wrote my SoP pretty specifically for each school. However, the competition is KILLER (2%-3% acceptance rates-just insane!), and I can’t lie I’m worried. My undergraduate GPA is on the lower side, which could be a problem. I will try again next time, but I would like to get in this year, since I am a bit older (27), so WAMC?

You're in an excellent position. I imagine that as long as you interview well (with those stats I'm sure you'll get interviews) I think you'll be all set.

+1
definitely retake the GRE. Improving your quant score will really help your application

to the extent of my (decent!) knowledge, UT-Austin doesn't have anyone researching schizophrenia right now.

Alright... Give me your opinions! My GPA is trash, but every other aspect of my application is relatively strong. Applying to a lot of top tier programs, as I’m interested in schizophrenia research, which many times is limited to universities with medical centers nearby. Coincidentally, those programs are tough to get in to.
BU
UF
UT Southwestern
LSU
UNC
Harvard
UT Austin
Wash U-St Louis

Research Experience:
2 years of post-grad research as a study coordinator with well-known researchers in substance abuse and treatment of psychotic disorders (though they aren’t clinical psychologists) . Worked on outpatient schizophrenia treatment trials, the DSM Field Trials, TMS depression treatment, and inpatient IV cocaine interaction studies. Only 1 poster from this work, though I’m currently working on 3 manuscripts, but none at the point of submission.
Recs: Very strong; from department chairs and heads of divisions mentioning me in the top 1-2% of RAs they've worked with. One prof mentioned that I was the best undergrad student with data analysis that she’s worked with in the past 15 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a while...1st time poster. I was hoping you could give me some insight as to what my chances are with the following credentials. I know they're not great...sincerity is appreciated, don't worry about hurting my feelings!

I should note that I plan on applying to "middle of the road schools," who make statements on their admission pages such as "undergrad GPA should be above a 3.0, with a 3.3-3.5 in psychology courses," and "GRE scores should be above 1200."

Undergrad GPA: 2.82 (3.1 in last 60 credits)
Undergrad GPA in psych courses: 2.48
Masters (in Mental Health Counseling) GPA: 3.6-3.7 (not done yet)
GRE: 1230, V:540, Q:690 A:3.5

1 semester of RA experience in a professor's behavioral neuroscience lab
2 semesters of RA experience in a professor's clinical health psych lab

200hr practicum and 600hr internship at a substance and alcohol abuse clinic
-was a requirement of my M.S. 150-200 out of the 800 hours are in direct one on one or group counseling.

I've worked for 2 years as a "Waiver Service Provider" for a company called Youth Advocate Programs. I am assigned to a NY state program called "Bridges to Health" which aims to keep past or present foster children in their foster homes or at home with their biological parent rather than in institutionalized care. I provide one on one, direct services to 2 children (both of whom I've been working with throughout my 2 years with this company) that focus on improving maladaptive behavior and building basic life skills in a CBT-like fashion (although I know that PhD programs do not see this as "real" counseling).

I've also taken 4 or 5 stats/experimental courses throughout undergrad and grad, which I've done pretty well on compared to my other psych courses.

Also just want to note that health issues were the reason for my low undergrad GPA, and I think the right thing to do would be to mention it on a personal statement, but not play it up too much so as to seem like I'm trying desperately to shirk responsibility for my grades.

So, what do you think? What are my chances of getting in to "middle of the road"(with funding!!!) PhD programs? Some feedback on what my chances are with PsyD programs that offer funding would be appreciated too.

Edit: one last thing I wanted to add: I received the "graduate tuition scholarship for exceptional students" award for academic achievement in high school when I was accepted to my school as an undergrad (good grades and good SAT scores). This scholarship basically says that the school will refund 2 semesters of graduate tuition if the student completes undergrad and then immediately goes on to a graduate program, which is what I did.

- J

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a while...1st time poster. I was hoping you could give me some insight as to what my chances are with the following credentials. I know they're not great...sincerity is appreciated, don't worry about hurting my feelings!

I should note that I plan on applying to "middle of the road schools," who make statements on their admission pages such as "undergrad GPA should be above a 3.0, with a 3.3-3.5 in psychology courses," and "GRE scores should be above 1200."

Undergrad GPA: 2.82 (3.1 in last 60 credits)
Undergrad GPA in psych courses: 2.48
Masters (in Mental Health Counseling) GPA: 3.6-3.7 (not done yet)
GRE: 1230, V:540, Q:690 A:3.5

1 semester of RA experience in a professor's behavioral neuroscience lab
2 semesters of RA experience in a professor's clinical health psych lab

200hr practicum and 600hr internship at a substance and alcohol abuse clinic
-was a requirement of my M.S. 150-200 out of the 800 hours are in direct one on one or group counseling.

I've worked for 2 years as a "Waiver Service Provider" for a company called Youth Advocate Programs. I am assigned to a NY state program called "Bridges to Health" which aims to keep past or present foster children in their foster homes or at home with their biological parent rather than in institutionalized care. I provide one on one, direct services to 2 children (both of whom I've been working with throughout my 2 years with this company) that focus on improving maladaptive behavior and building basic life skills in a CBT-like fashion (although I know that PhD programs do not see this as "real" counseling).

I've also taken 4 or 5 stats/experimental courses throughout undergrad and grad, which I've done pretty well on compared to my other psych courses.

Also just want to note that health issues were the reason for my low undergrad GPA, and I think the right thing to do would be to mention it on a personal statement, but not play it up too much so as to seem like I'm trying desperately to shirk responsibility for my grades.

So, what do you think? What are my chances of getting in to "middle of the road"(with funding!!!) PhD programs? Some feedback on what my chances are with PsyD programs that offer funding would be appreciated too.

Edit: one last thing I wanted to add: I received the "graduate tuition scholarship for exceptional students" award for academic achievement in high school when I was accepted to my school as an undergrad (good grades and good SAT scores). This scholarship basically says that the school will refund 2 semesters of graduate tuition if the student completes undergrad and then immediately goes on to a graduate program, which is what I did.

- J

I typically try to be optimistic with folks' GPAs b/c I've seen some "low-ish" ones squeak through. However, by low, I mean low 3.0's, not below 3.0. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but I really don't think your GPA and current stats will even qualify you for what you may consider "middle of the road" PhD programs. Those programs still receive a helluva lot of applications, and I suspect they are likely receiving more applications than they have in the past.

FWIW, my program is not a "top tier" or "top ranked" program. We had an ~50% increase in applications last year. With more than 200 folks applying for a handful of slots, professors can stand to be selective regarding your stats from the beginning and then look at the rest of your application for what makes you stand out.

Your undergrad GPA is abysmal (sorry), and there are places that will not look past it regardless of your personal statement, master's degree, etc. You simply do not make the GPA cut.

Your GRE is average. Your analytical writing is so-so (some people look at it; some don't).

I doubt your practicum/clinical experience is going to count for anything in most clinical programs. They're looking for research experience. You have "some," but you don't indicate what sort of experience you gained, whether you received any pubs/presentations, etc. out of your stints in those labs, etc. With your stats, you may need more in-depth research impressiveness for any type of shot to keep your application from being junked immediately due to the GPA.

Your high school performance means nothing here if it didn't carry through in undergrad, so although you may have received a nifty way to pay for some of your grad school (congrats BTW!), it's not going to favor your CV in the process.

You may (?) be able to apply to PsyD programs with your stats? I'm really not sure where their admissions criteria are at (but even university-based, quality, and/or funded programs are likely going to place you in a similar scenario) and throw in some PhD programs as reaches, but I personally wouldn't count on them.

Thanks for the feedback. So you think my low undergrad GPA is going to be a serious deal-breaker despite the fact that I did pretty well with a ~3.7 GPA in a psych-related masters program?

Other opinions are greatly appreciated! Would also love to hear from others who have, or know others who have had, positive or negative experiences when applying to clinical PhDs with an undergrad GPA below a 3.0.

Thanks for the feedback. So you think my low undergrad GPA is going to be a serious deal-breaker despite the fact that I did pretty well with a ~3.7 GPA in a psych-related masters program?

Other opinions are greatly appreciated! Would also love to hear from others who have, or know others who have had, positive or negative experiences when applying to clinical PhDs with an undergrad GPA below a 3.0.

I actually think the masters gpa will be the only saving grace. IF you had applied only based on the undergrad stats, you wouldnt even qualify to be looked at, but because you have shown grade improvement via masters, you will have a shot. I dont know anything in the type of masters you did, but at least it shows you can hack it at a grad level and do better than B+ average.

Take a shot at it...

I actually think the masters gpa will be the only saving grace. IF you had applied only based on the undergrad stats, you wouldnt even qualify to be looked at, but because you have shown grade improvement via masters, you will have a shot. I dont know anything in the type of masters you did, but at least it shows you can hack it at a grad level and do better than B+ average.

Take a shot at it...

It's going to depend upon the program and what they want. You may find that "some" programs and/or "some" profs won't give 2 hoots about your master's and prefer their students not to have a master's degree anyway (so you may already be fighting an uphill battle).

On the other hand, as AlaskanJustin rightly pointed out, it does help your application in showing that you've buckled down, improved, you're able to perform at the grad school level, etc., so on & so forth. Even then, if you're applying with a master's degree, it's sort of a given that you should have a decent GPA. Otherwise, why are you there? I'd really take time to highlight that transition/improvement (not an entire paper by any means, but emphasize what you've managed to accomplish now after your previous 'issues'...)

I certainly wouldn't let it dissuade you from applying anywhere, but again I would be realistic about your options. Apply to some "mid-level" programs, but you may want to find some "low-level" programs (if such a thing exists outside of professional/for-profit schools???). And for goodness sake, have some idea of what you are going to do next to improve your application for the next round (if you decide to go that route) or just in general. I had some demented soul actually ask during interviews, "What are your plans if you're not accepted anywhere?" Evil bastards! (There was method to their madness, but still just horrid to ask such a thing during an interview. :smuggrin:)

Another random thought: Would it be possible to study, study, study and retake your GRE at some point? It's technically an acceptable average score to get you by at places, but a higher score could always help you out.

G'luck! :luck:

Yes I plan on retaking the GRE! Maybe the psych subject too to supplement my low psych gpa. I might even try to get another semester of research under my belt before applying. Just wanted to see where I stood as of right now.

Thanks for the help!

- J

Yes I plan on retaking the GRE! Maybe the psych subject too to supplement my low psych gpa. I might even try to get another semester of research under my belt before applying. Just wanted to see where I stood as of right now.

Thanks for the help!

- J

Yep. I would agree with trying to get some more research experience if possible (more is usually always better!). Overall, I think you have a workable plan. :thumbup: Just take care in following through with it and attend carefully to your statements and application packets (how you present yourself).

It's going to depend upon the program and what they want. You may find that "some" programs and/or "some" profs won't give 2 hoots about your master's and prefer their students not to have a master's degree anyway (so you may already be fighting an uphill battle).

On the other hand, as AlaskanJustin rightly pointed out, it does help your application in showing that you've buckled down, improved, you're able to perform at the grad school level, etc., so on & so forth. Even then, if you're applying with a master's degree, it's sort of a given that you should have a decent GPA. Otherwise, why are you there? I'd really take time to highlight that transition/improvement (not an entire paper by any means, but emphasize what you've managed to accomplish now after your previous 'issues'...)

I certainly wouldn't let it dissuade you from applying anywhere, but again I would be realistic about your options. Apply to some "mid-level" programs, but you may want to find some "low-level" programs (if such a thing exists outside of professional/for-profit schools???). And for goodness sake, have some idea of what you are going to do next to improve your application for the next round (if you decide to go that route) or just in general. I had some demented soul actually ask during interviews, "What are your plans if you're not accepted anywhere?" Evil bastards! (There was method to their madness, but still just horrid to ask such a thing during an interview. :smuggrin:)

Another random thought: Would it be possible to study, study, study and retake your GRE at some point? It's technically an acceptable average score to get you by at places, but a higher score could always help you out.

G'luck! :luck:

Agree with pretty much everything both paramour and AJ have said. To add to a point paramour mentioned re: "low-level programs"--in my opinion, I'd say look for mid-level programs that are in less-desirable geographic areas, as these programs tend to get fewer applications than those in even moderately-desirable locations.

I actually think the masters gpa will be the only saving grace.

I'm going to tread lightly here, as I'm (currently) in a field that's not psych, but I do know of one person who tanked their undergrad, "straightened out" and excelled in a good MA program, then ended up getting into a top (social) psych school. I'll keep my fingers crossed on J232's behalf!
:luck:

Hey guys, I am a senior and I just applied for ONE and ONLY gradh school. ( I guess I am just trying to be lucky here.

Here goes my stats :
GPA 3.5
Psych 3.6

GRE
Q 700
V 440
(Not stellar for V but I am an international applicant)

Psi Chi and APA member
6 months of clinical + research experience in hospital (research dept)

Oh, I am applying to a middle tier.

Any thoughts?

Hey guys, I am a senior and I just applied for ONE and ONLY gradh school. ( I guess I am just trying to be lucky here.

Here goes my stats :
GPA 3.5
Psych 3.6

GRE
Q 700
V 440

Psi Chi and APA member

Any thoughts?

Honestly, and unfortunately, the GRE scores mixed with the rather limited research experience could make getting an interview offer tough for you, especially from a middle-tier program. If things don't work out this go 'round, I'd definitely recommend looking into finding a full-time research assistant position for a year or two to up the experience and hopefully pump out a a few poster presentations.

Here goes my stats :
GPA 3.5
Psych 3.6

GRE
Q 700
V 440

Psi Chi and APA member

Any thoughts?

Honestly, and unfortunately, the GRE scores mixed with the rather limited research experience could make getting an interview offer tough for you, especially from a middle-tier program. If things don't work out this go 'round, I'd definitely recommend looking into finding a full-time research assistant position for a year or two to up the experience and hopefully pump out a a few poster presentations.

I think "tough" is putting it politely.

I had better stats than you my first go-round, applied to 4 programs, received 2 interviews, and ended up with 1 rejection/1 waitlist.I considered that "lucky" as hell and wouldn't recommend those tactics with anyone.

With your GRE score, you're likely going to be cut from most places, including mid-tier programs. Do you know the average for the ONE program to which you did apply? Do they accept lower scores? Seeing that you are an international applicant, maybe they will let it slide though...

The GPA is "okay."

The research experience is "okay," but it's on the low-end. Did you get anything else for your time to show for it (or in progress)? Pubs/presentations?

I applied to 4 programs and was nuts for doing it. You applied to 1?

I hope you have a phenomenal match, know someone, or both.

G'luck. :luck:

I'm going to tread lightly here, as I'm (currently) in a field that's not psych, but I do know of one person who tanked their undergrad, "straightened out" and excelled in a good MA program, then ended up getting into a top (social) psych school. I'll keep my fingers crossed on J232's behalf!
:luck:

Yeah, it can & does happen. But I'd be leery of saying that they shouldn't worry about it simply because they showed improvement... Especially when there are sometimes other hurdles to face when applying with master's degrees (discussed elsewhere in other threads)... I wouldn't give up either if it was me and it was what I *really* wanted, but at some point one also has to be realistic. Guess you don't really know, however, until you try. :)

You may want to know about your chances of getting placed in a predoctoral internship before applying to grad school. Check this out:
http://www.unc.edu/~mjp1970/Internship Outcomes.pdf

Also, for people interested in admission rates by program, check this out:
http://www.unc.edu/~mjp1970/Admissions Rates.pdf

Woo, made the first page.

But in all seriousness, those are both important sets of numbers to know (especially internship placement rates given the current imbalance). APPIC also has similar data available here. Keep in mind, though, that DrClinPsyAdvice's numbers are for APA internships, while APPIC's numbers are for all sites and students that participated in the match (APPIC and APA). APA is the ideal based on career flexibility alone, and is required by some doctoral programs for graduation, but there are quality APPIC and non-accredited (e.g., those currently pursuing accreditation) sites available. It can be a gamble, though, as some employers will only accept APA-accredited internships except in very specific circumstances.

Hi everyone,

I plan to apply for fall 2013 programs in clinical psychology with focus in neuropsychology. I really want to start a bit early on the application process because I will be studying abroad fall 2012.

I go to a top-tier school, but not ivy league.

GPA: 3.45 (grades were low freshman year due to organic chemistry and engineer courses)

Major: Cognitive Sciences - Neuroscience Track

GRE:
Q 162 (87%)
V 156 (72%)
AW: 4.5 (72%)

Experience:
Summer 2011: Research Education Undergraduate (NSF) program - poster presentation in a visual lab.
Summer 2010: Shadowed clinical neuropsychologists and worked with them on a TBI project. Also worked at a a research lab on respiratory problems and co-author of a paper that was just sent out for review.
2009-2010: Worked at an optics lab for programming and webwork (not very helpful for what I am doing now)
Before 2009 was high school, which I did a lot of volunteer work, but I'm sure that doesn't really matter.

My experiences are just not very well rounded, because the focus was too broad. I'm really afraid that I won't be able to get into PhD Clinical Psych programs because of my low GPA/GRE.

I have not looked too much into what schools to apply for. However, the tremendously low acceptance rates is scaring me a bit. I'm wonder what kind of schools I should apply to/look more into?

Thanks for your input!!

Your GPA and GRE are good enough to get you past cut-offs at most clinical Ph.D. programs, particularly since you show an upward trend, and beyond passing cutoffs GPA and GRE are irrelevant for everything except acquiring fellowship support. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about getting more research experience. Two summers is unlikely to be sufficient for Ph.D. programs. Have you considered taking a year or two off and working as a full-time paid RA in a neuropsychology lab?

Your GPA and GRE are good enough to get you past cut-offs at most clinical Ph.D. programs, particularly since you show an upward trend, and beyond passing cutoffs GPA and GRE are irrelevant for everything except acquiring fellowship support. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about getting more research experience. Two summers is unlikely to be sufficient for Ph.D. programs. Have you considered taking a year or two off and working as a full-time paid RA in a neuropsychology lab?

I agree with the research feedback; definitely try to up that component of your application, as it looks to be a relative weak point.

However, I'll slightly disagree with respect to GRE and GPA--the amount they're taken into consideration after passing any cut-offs will vary from professor to professor. Some will weight those scores fairly substantially, while others (as you've said) will hardly look at them at all. In general, with respect to my department, GRE tends to receive more attention than GPA.

I thought I'd throw my stats/experience out there and see if folks had any thoughts about my chances, or advice about what to improve on in the future...

My education background is a little complicated
1st BA 3.4 at good liberal arts school in English/Education
2nd BA 3.85 at mediocre state school in Psychology
M.Ed 3.8 at good state school (I started a PhD in School Psych but left with a masters b/c of funding issues and a realization that clinical was a better route to neuropsych)

GRE
660 V
650 Q

2 years as an RA working on a national autism study at a stellar research university- BUT my job is limited to data collection and cleaning via structured interviews with participants- no data analysis or research design- not sure that's what schools are really looking for.

One poster/presentation submission for a national conference (1st author), and one paper in the works (1st author), but no acceptances yet

1 year volunteering with a neuropsychologist to help with a preterm infant outcomes study- I administer and score a variety of neuropsych assessments (~ 5-10 hours/week)

I applied to:
Florida State
Georgia State
Southern Illinois
Michigan State
UConn
Houston
U Denver
Loyola (Psy D)

I chose those schools because they had a good neuro track and/or at least one prof had a strong interest in learning disabilities.

I get the impression that the GRE subject test is not particularly important at all. I got an 800 (99%) on it though and I'm wondering if that will matter at all. I also did well on the GRE (V167 98%, Q165 93%, A 6.0 99%).

I hear different things from different people and I'm just kind of wondering whether these scores will mitigate in any way a disappointing cumulative GPA (3.3) and a lack of publications/presentations. (GPA last 60: 3.99; Psych GPA 3.85)

I've been fairly active as an undergraduate RA for the past two semesters but don't get the impression that that's particularly impressive either.

It's clear to me that there is no way I was going to get in to the University of Pennsylvania (dare to dream) but I am having trouble figuring out what's realistic for my application package. I've applied to a range of clinical and counseling doctoral programs but am not overly enthusiastic about my chances, I guess.

I guess what I'm also wondering is if there's a list anywhere of credible masters programs that could actually help launch someone into a top tier doctoral program. I've been sort of thinking about NYU even though it seems pretty expensive. If I did my masters applications today they'd probably be to NYU, California Polytechnic, and Villanova, as well as a few professional type programs in Chicago where I live. I had been thinking about Eastern Michigan, but heard some negative things about the school from a friend who graduated from University of Michigan.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I get the impression that the GRE subject test is not particularly important at all. I got an 800 (99%) on it though and I'm wondering if that will matter at all. I also did well on the GRE (V167 98%, Q165 93%, A 6.0 99%).

I hear different things from different people and I'm just kind of wondering whether these scores will mitigate in any way a disappointing cumulative GPA (3.3) and a lack of publications/presentations. (GPA last 60: 3.99; Psych GPA 3.85)

I've been fairly active as an undergraduate RA for the past two semesters but don't get the impression that that's particularly impressive either.

It's clear to me that there is no way I was going to get in to the University of Pennsylvania (dare to dream) but I am having trouble figuring out what's realistic for my application package. I've applied to a range of clinical and counseling doctoral programs but am not overly enthusiastic about my chances, I guess.

I guess what I'm also wondering is if there's a list anywhere of credible masters programs that could actually help launch someone into a top tier doctoral program. I've been sort of thinking about NYU even though it seems pretty expensive. If I did my masters applications today they'd probably be to NYU, California Polytechnic, and Villanova, as well as a few professional type programs in Chicago where I live. I had been thinking about Eastern Michigan, but heard some negative things about the school from a friend who graduated from University of Michigan.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMO and experience, strong GRE scores are more likely to mitigate a weaker GPA than a lack of research experience. Two semesters of RA work is obviously better than none, but you're correct in that less than two or so years is probably going to stand out and will represent a significant bar to admittance at most Ph.D. and university-based Psy.D. programs.

As for master's programs, I don't have much advice or insight to offer there, unfortunately. I know that people at my school have gotten degrees from places in VA, SC, FL, and LA, but I honestly don't know the names of the individual programs. You're just going to want to be sure to select programs that offer a larger research than applied component, and that require a thesis as opposed to comp exams to graduate.

Very impressive SOP with professional tone.

LOR's are kind of moderate, one faculty member, one previous employer and one classmate/collaegue from Psychology Grad school. (although I know they stated the best of me)

So much depends on match, but I'm really curious about these two statements. Your evaluation of your SOP comes from where, exactly? And why do you have only "kind of moderate" LOR's, one of which is from a classmate/colleague??! I would wonder why in the world you couldn't get better letters than that. With your research experience, you really need a LOR from someone who can speak to your research or else it looks suspicious, especially with a colleague writing one of the letters. Is the former employer a clinical supervisor or PI from one of your research projects, by any chance?

My research experience has been the product of my independent efforts. In where I come from (let's say some place in Eastern Europe) there are no research project labs like the ones in US, things doesn't work that way. So there wasn't any faculty who could testify for my research experience.my published first authorship papers speak for themselves. Previous employer LOR comes from a person who practically hired me as a psychotherapist in a counseling center. Anyway I had said it from the beginning that LORs are moderate.

Oh, ok, this explains a lot. The fact that your research experience is so different is something I cannot relate to. In the US, your situation would be unheard of--not having an LOR from a research mentor (especially with a first authorship) would look strange to say the least and an LOR from a classmate/colleague would be the kiss of death as it is not considered appropriate. I guess I cannot comment on your situation, though, because I don't know of where you are coming from.

I could not understand your comment though, what do you mean by "so much depends on match"? Do you think my LOR situation fails everthing else?

Match as in match to research interests. You say you have that, so with all else said, this will be the most important.

It is near-impossible to say what anyone's chances are in this application process anyway, but yours is even more difficult. I will pass the baton to someone else now...

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm a bit terrified now about this kiss of death LOR from a colleague, I did not think it was that awful . I had read somewhere that LOR from a masters level clinician would be OK although not perfect, that is why I had decided to ask LOR from my colleague. anyway, thank you again.

I actually don't think a letter of recommendation from a colleague is a kiss of death (though it may be unorthodox). The admissions committee will certainly be aware of the fact that you are coming from another country (and that things might work a little bit differently where you live). I think if your statement explained that you did your research projects independently, they'd understand why you chose those particular writers. The letter of recommendation just needs to elaborate on your professional/research abilities so I think if your colleague speaks about those qualities, it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, if you are interested in knowing the mistakes to avoid in the application process, you can read this article. The part about recommendation writers might be of particular interest.

The admissions committee will certainly be aware of the fact that you are coming from another country (and that things might work a little bit differently where you live). I think if your statement explained that you did your research projects independently, they'd understand why you chose those particular writers. The letter of recommendation just needs to elaborate on your professional/research abilities so I think if your colleague speaks about those qualities, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. If one is not a traditional U.S. applicant, it makes more sense.

For a standard U.S. applicant with publications, however, it would be strange. I was asked by an undergrad RA to write a letter for her and the PI said it was absolutely inappropriate and letters needed to come from professors (the PI already wrote a letter). So, while I understand the different situation here, I just want to explain that I said that because it is generally not anywhere close to ideal. And to say "classmate/colleague" was also originally rather vague and didn't give a good picture of whether the writer was a peer, a subordinate, or a supervisor (could be any of these).

This is not so much a "what are my chances?" post as a "what do I do?" post.

I'm graduating with an undergrad in Psychology this spring from a pretty good school. GPA is expected to be a 3.25 upon graduation. I had a 4.0 this past semester and am expecting something similar for the spring, but I had a few spotty semesters due to pre-med classes, family problems, blah blah..

I have yet to take the GRE but I took a practice test before I started studying and did pretty well: 161 Q (=770 on the old version), 156 V (540/550 on old version). I have since been studying the vocabulary using a Princeton Review book and I took a short, intensive GRE Prep course at my school. I'm planning to take the actual test this month. I also understand that the practice tests may not be the best measure of what my scores will be.

I will be working in a social psych lab this semester for credit and as a graduation requirement for my major. This will be my only lab experience.

I took a Research & Methods class and excelled in it. I loved the coursework and could definitely see myself working in the research field, in addition to working with patients, and maybe teaching a college course or two somewhere down the line.

Based on my interests, I think a Ph.D would be my best bet. Here are my questions:

If I apply for a Masters in Psychology, will that help me in eventually obtaining a Ph.D? Is the curriculum on sort of a continuum, or is an M.A./M.S. a completely separate route from a Ph.D?

Am I right to believe that my credentials will not get me accepted into a Ph.D program as they are now?

I haven't done any applications for next year. Should I try to get out a few apps to grad schools, or just focus on gaining research experience? How do I even go about gaining research experience once I've graduated from school? (I don't plan on staying at my school after graduation, so any additional experience would have to be somewhere completely different).

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!!

I'd look at an MA/MS as different from a Ph.D, as credits don't usually transfer between the two. However, that MA/MS can show that you can succeed in graduate-level coursework, which would certainly help to offset your low GPA.

However, it wouldn't help too much with obtaining more research experience, which is even more important. For that, I'd recommend trying to get a full-time job as a research assistant somewhere and working there for a year or two. (Probably more like two.)

You're right that you wouldn't get into Ph.D. programs with your current stats, but you may have a shot at Psy.D. If Ph.D. is your end goal, however, I'd look into RAships.

I'd look at an MA/MS as different from a Ph.D, as credits don't usually transfer between the two. However, that MA/MS can show that you can succeed in graduate-level coursework, which would certainly help to offset your low GPA.

However, it wouldn't help too much with obtaining more research experience, which is even more important. For that, I'd recommend trying to get a full-time job as a research assistant somewhere and working there for a year or two. (Probably more like two.)

You're right that you wouldn't get into Ph.D. programs with your current stats, but you may have a shot at Psy.D. If Ph.D. is your end goal, however, I'd look into RAships.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Would the credits from an MA/MS still not transfer if I completed the degree at the same school where I intended to do my Ph.D? Do you think it's worth it to get the Master's, or are a high GRE score/additional research experience enough to offset my low GPA? Also, would simply taking non-degree courses at the graduate level be helpful?

Are research assistants usually paid or would I be doing it as volunteer work? My concern is paying for expenses during my gap year(s) before starting a Ph.D program. I am definitely trying to avoid moving back in with my parents.

Why are Psy.D programs less competitive? Is it a less prestigious degree, or is it simply newer?

Is there any advice you can give me on how to apply for RAships? Do I just contact faculty members whose area of expertise is interesting to me?

Last one: should I be concerned about gaining clinical experience?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Would the credits from an MA/MS still not transfer if I completed the degree at the same school where I intended to do my Ph.D? Do you think it's worth it to get the Master's, or are a high GRE score/additional research experience enough to offset my low GPA? Also, would simply taking non-degree courses at the graduate level be helpful?

Are research assistants usually paid or would I be doing it as volunteer work? My concern is paying for expenses during my gap year(s) before starting a Ph.D program. I am definitely trying to avoid moving back in with my parents.

Why are Psy.D programs less competitive? Is it a less prestigious degree, or is it simply newer?

Is there any advice you can give me on how to apply for RAships? Do I just contact faculty members whose area of expertise is interesting to me?

Last one: should I be concerned about gaining clinical experience?

Thanks again!

I don't know about credits transferring within the same institution. I imagine that'd be more manageable, though you should probably call up in the school in question and ask. Better research experience will ALWAYS offset a lower GPA, though top-ranked programs tend to have a 3.3 or 3.5 cutoff ... so if you're wanting top-10 or top-20 you might want to do some post-bacc work to raise the GPA a bit.

RAships are usually paid, yes. People do these as their full-time jobs for 2+ years sometimes! As for finding them, I'd recommend checking job postings at universities or emailing the PIs directly.

Psy.D. programs are clinically- rather than research-focused, so they're less prestigious FOR RESEARCH, but might be a great option if what you're interested in is strictly clinical work. However, they're also not generally fully-funded, unlike Ph.D. programs.

As for gaining clinical experience: for Ph.D., don't worry about it. My adviser actually suggests not doing it. If it's between more research or more clinical, always choose research -- especially since the clinical experience you'd get would be nothing like what you'd be doing as a Ph.D.-level clinician, anyway. For a Psy.D. program it might be more helpful (but I don't know, I'm applying to all Ph.D. programs myself, so that's a bit foreign territory for me!). Opt for more research experience.

Hope this helps!

Hello, I am new to this forum and interested in pursuing my Phd in Counseling Psychology.
I am just starting the daunting task of navigating trough all I need to do.

I am a non-traditional student, 42, not sure if that will hurt my chances for acceptance. I have 9 years experience in Social Work. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 in 1991 (yikes) I also have 10 years experience in Medical Device Sales, where I developed Clinical programs for reducing recidivism rates into hospitals for Chronic Cardiac and Respiratory conditions. I have also worked as a national sales trainer. I am wondering if my life experience counts for anything?

I am currently working on my M.Ed, in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Besides my undergrad research courses and current research coursework, I do not have any other research background. In medical sales I did have to interpret complex medical studies to physicians. I will graduate with my degree in 5/13. My current GPA is 3.85. I am planning to do a Masters thesis, which is not a requirement for my program, but to make me more attractive as a doctoral candidate. I think I have an excellent topic that may make a very positive contribution to the urban university I attend. Not only because it is somewhat unique, but also something they could incorporate to support students and even maybe attract a certain population to the school.

I took the MAT to get into grad school, and did slightly above average, for being out of school for 18 years. I am really scared about taking the GRE. Does anyone recommend any of the expensive prep classes? I also want to go to an APA accredited program. I am very intimidated over the acceptance rates I am reading about. I would love to stay at my current university, but they just got accredited and take like 2 students per year internally. I am also getting my LICDC certification and will have a 3 semester internship. Not sure if it matters, I am a Licensed Social Worker.

Any opinions on anything I should be doing differently? Do you think it matters, that I am older? I have an exceptionally strong work history, which I wonder if that is a help or hindrance?

I appreciate any thoughts or advice, or if anyone knows of a particular school that may fit my background?

Thank You!!!!

Merilee

Last edited:
ugh, I know it is really early, but I am feeling kind of discouraged as it looks like 3 of my schools (all of which were among my top choices) have sent out their interview invites and I've heard nothing. I know the competition is extremely fierce and I would be lucky to hear back from anywhere but this is my second time around and I improved my credentials a ton in the last year and now I'm not sure where to go from here...

I am currently a research assistant working on a number of clinical research projects related to my field of interest, I am second-author on two publications, I've delivered a platform presentation and have five first-author poster presentations. I had a solid undergrad gpa (3.7) and solid GRE scores (710Q, 680V) and I did really well on the psych subject test (820).

I got good feedback on my SOP and as far as I know my LORs said great things...

I also emailed at least one POI at each school and got encouraging messages from all of them.

I guess my questions is... what could be the problem? I only got a 4 on the AW part of the GRE and I wasn't a psych major but I took a lot of psych and related-field courses. Could either or both of these be enough of an issue to hurt my chances?

Thanks

ugh, I know it is really early, but I am feeling kind of discouraged as it looks like 3 of my schools (all of which were among my top choices) have sent out their interview invites and I've heard nothing. I know the competition is extremely fierce and I would be lucky to hear back from anywhere but this is my second time around and I improved my credentials a ton in the last year and now I'm not sure where to go from here...

I am currently a research assistant working on a number of clinical research projects related to my field of interest, I am second-author on two publications, I've delivered a platform presentation and have five first-author poster presentations. I had a solid undergrad gpa (3.7) and solid GRE scores (710Q, 680V) and I did really well on the psych subject test (820).

I also emailed at least one POI at each school and got encouraging messages from all of them.

I guess my questions is... what could be the problem? I only got a 4 on the AW part of the GRE and I wasn't a psych major but I took a lot of psych and related-field courses. Could either or both of these be enough of an issue to hurt my chances?

Thanks

Are you sure that you met the minimum psych class requirements for the grad programs? I only ask this because at one school I was looking at applying to they required a psychology course that I didn't take so I didn't even bother applying. If this isn't the case then it could just boil down to the numbers. I'm sure you're aware there are a ton of competitive applicants and not that many spots. I think not being a psych major would hurt you more than your score on the AW part of the GRE, but with that being said, it seems like everything else would of made up for it. I suggest you stay positive. I know that's easier said than done, but it's still early in the process and a lot of people have not heard anything. If at the end, you are not offered admission then think about your next step. It's not the end of the world.

Thanks

I could only think of a couple things. You may have already taken these into account but you didn't mention them in your post.

1. Research interests and fit. Do you have specific research interests and did you apply to POI's with a great fit? This is the most important but it sounds like you've done your homework and know a lot about the app process so this probably isn't the case. If you got encouraging responses from POI's than this probably doesn't apply.

2. How many schools did you apply to? Sometimes it's all about the numbers. There are a ton of applicants, especially to competitive schools. I was told to apply to 10-20 schools.

3. How do your stats compare to other applicants at these schools? Do you have a mix of schools? Mostly schools that match your stats with a few reaches and maybe a couple schools where you have better stats.

4. You said you're currently in a number of projects. How long have you been doing research? Some schools want to see a few years of solid research experience.

You sound like a really solid applicant so that's really all that I could think of. If you've already thought of all these things then I have no idea.