This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for this I was having a tougher time putting especially the Quant score in perspective because a lot of the schools listed scores in the old GRE format.

Use this table to get a good sense of the old score/new score comparison.

What is the general score I should be shooting for? Also I was looking at some of the APA approved Counseling Psychology programs as well, the score seems to be slightly lower but is not listed for every school. Will a Counseling Psychology program ultimately put me at a disadvantage compared to a Clinical Program?

The answers to both of these questions are best answered (and really should only be answered) with the context of your specific situation in mind. I really do think the best way to judge what score you "need" is to go by the listed average score for those admitted to the programs to which you plan on applying. If you gave me (and SDN) a list of some of the schools you were considering, I'd be happy to let you know where I think you are at. But I will say, bluntly, that the 45th percentile for quant is not helping you at all.

A counseling program could actually put you at an advantage, if what you want to do with your career is best suited to a counseling degree. Since you are looking at counseling programs, it seems like you have a heavier interest in a career in therapy than in research. What kind of populations are you most interested in?

Note: I started typing up differences between clinical and counseling here, but then realized this is definitely already and more eloquently covered elsewhere on this forum. I think this is a good thread to look at.

Members don't see this ad.

Use this table to get a good sense of the old score/new score comparison.

The answers to both of these questions are best answered (and really should only be answered) with the context of your specific situation in mind. I really do think the best way to judge what score you "need" is to go by the listed average score for those admitted to the programs to which you plan on applying. If you gave me (and SDN) a list of some of the schools you were considering, I'd be happy to let you know where I think you are at. But I will say, bluntly, that the 45th percentile for quant is not helping you at all.

A counseling program could actually put you at an advantage, if what you want to do with your career is best suited to a counseling degree. Since you are looking at counseling programs, it seems like you have a heavier interest in a career in therapy than in research. What kind of populations are you most interested in?

Note: I started typing up differences between clinical and counseling here, but then realized this is definitely already and more eloquently covered elsewhere on this forum. I think this is a good thread to look at.

I am looking to work as a Psychologist in a hospital, ideally with children and adolescents who have serious medical diagnosis. However I would be just as happy working with adults and families going through illness as well.

The schools I am currently considering are:
Auburn University (Clinical or Counseling)
Fairleigh Dickinson (Clinical)
Seton Hall (Counseling)
Eastern Carolina (Clinical and potentially the
Pediatric School Psychology if it becomes APA accredited before I apply)
University of Missouri, Kansas City (Clinical)
East Tennessee State (Clinical)

The schools I am currently considering are:
Auburn University (Clinical or Counseling)
Fairleigh Dickinson (Clinical)
Seton Hall (Counseling)
Eastern Carolina (Clinical and potentially the
Pediatric School Psychology if it becomes APA accredited before I apply)
University of Missouri, Kansas City (Clinical)
East Tennessee State (Clinical)

I glanced at a few of these and it looks like your scores are right at and just below the mean scores for admittance. I still recommend retaking; I would say getting both scores to/over 155 would go a long way in how your application is initially perceived at these programs. Definitely put focus on quant.

I am looking to work as a Psychologist in a hospital, ideally with children and adolescents who have serious medical diagnosis. However I would be just as happy working with adults and families going through illness as well.

In addition to psychiatrists, hospital inpatient and consultation service units hire all types of psychologists. I would probably say there are more openings for clinicians than counselors, with counselors being more prevalent at IOPs (intensive outpatient programs) and other outpatient programs. Definitely not saying there are not varied possibilities at both. However, this is based on my personal experience and a hunch on what the data would say. Maybe someone with more experience or knowledge of hiring rates at both kinds of facilities could speak with more confidence on the matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I glanced at a few of these and it looks like your scores are right at and just below the mean scores for admittance. I still recommend retaking; I would say getting both scores to/over 155 would go a long way in how your application is initially perceived at these programs. Definitely put focus on quant.

In addition to psychiatrists, hospital inpatient and consultation service units hire all types of psychologists. I would probably say there are more openings for clinicians than counselors, with counselors being more prevalent at IOPs (intensive outpatient programs) and other outpatient programs. Definitely not saying there are not varied possibilities at both. However, this is based on my personal experience and a hunch on what the data would say. Maybe someone with more experience or knowledge of hiring rates at both kinds of facilities could speak with more confidence on the matter.

Thanks so much you've been a great help! I am most likely going to retake, as well as take the Psych Subject test which is required for Fairleigh. Unfortunately 155 was my target for both first time around hopefully I can pull it off with one more try.

Hey everybody, I asked a question a while ago and it kind of got passed up. I have a quick easy question, I had a 3.04 GPA in undegrad, I didn't really put as much into it as I could have as I was going into law enforcement afterwords and I already had a job lined up so I didn't try as hard as I should have. Now I am trying to get back into school and I was wondering what I could do (assuming no other beneficial background like research) to gain entry into a Neuropsychology PhD program? Are these programs as competitive as people make out clinical psychology programs? If so, would I have to do significant post bacc and research to raise my gpa and pad my resume? Any information on these types of programs from those of you with experience would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everybody, I asked a question a while ago and it kind of got passed up. I have a quick easy question, I had a 3.04 GPA in undegrad, I didn't really put as much into it as I could have as I was going into law enforcement afterwords and I already had a job lined up so I didn't try as hard as I should have. Now I am trying to get back into school and I was wondering what I could do (assuming no other beneficial background like research) to gain entry into a Neuropsychology PhD program? Are these programs as competitive as people make out clinical psychology programs? If so, would I have to do significant post bacc and research to raise my gpa and pad my resume? Any information on these types of programs from those of you with experience would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, that's a pretty low GPA, and Npsych track programs tend to be a touch more competitive as well. Unless your GRE scores are stellar, they'll be tough to offset. I might consider a masters program, but make sure you bust your ass, make top grades, and go the extra mile to get good letters of rec. Then if you re-apply for NPsych PhD programs you'll be more competitive.

Thanks a lot for the feedback WisNeuro/psycscientist. I know I have an embarrassingly low GPA, I suppose I was just wondering if I needed to attempt to raise my undergrad GPA as a non degree seeking student, enter a masters, or if I could attempt to just knock the GRE out of the park. I did receive A's in physiological psychology, pharmaceutical psychology, and a B in neuropsychology; so I know I have the ability (or I believe I do) to succeed in graduate level courses if I apply myself (as I mentioned, since I was all set for my job I just looked at school as an obligation/obstacle because I was, well, being stupid and short sighted) as those were courses I actually liked so they grabbed my attention and I did well in the lectures as well as labs. Anyways, thanks again very much for the feedback!

I have aspirations of getting into a PHD Cognitive Psychology program focusing on working memory/cognitive control. ( can go into much detail if wanted)

Senior (graduating fall 2014) undergrad at a university.
Overall GPA: 3.39
Psy GPA: 3.0 :(

GPA definitely a concern. At this point, definitely concentrate on the GRE. If that is above average, it and your letters of rec may carry your application.

Thanks a lot for the feedback WisNeuro/psycscientist. I know I have an embarrassingly low GPA, I suppose I was just wondering if I needed to attempt to raise my undergrad GPA as a non degree seeking student, enter a masters, or if I could attempt to just knock the GRE out of the park. I did receive A's in physiological psychology, pharmaceutical psychology, and a B in neuropsychology; so I know I have the ability (or I believe I do) to succeed in graduate level courses if I apply myself (as I mentioned, since I was all set for my job I just looked at school as an obligation/obstacle because I was, well, being stupid and short sighted) as those were courses I actually liked so they grabbed my attention and I did well in the lectures as well as labs. Anyways, thanks again very much for the feedback!

You could have/should have applied yourself more, maybe you can't handle a Ph.D., blah blah blah…

Undergrad is (arguably) the hardest 4-5 years for people to achieve academically for a whole gamut of different reasons that probably need not be covered. You managed to make it out with a respectable GPA. Apply to Ph.D. programs and you will likely get an invite into the masters program, do some research, and I think that'd be your best option if you don't get in. Most of all, don't sneeze at your GPA and cherish that accomplishment… Don't let having to take another path to your goal destination discourage you!

I currently have a BA in Psych from May 2013. Looking to apply for programs starting in Fall 2015.

My GPA was 3.48. V-GRE is 154 and Q-GRE is 151. AWA: 4 (retaking with goals of min. 155 in both)

I have been working full time in a research lab since late Sept. and am presenting 2 posters at an upcoming national conference and have additional expeirence interning for a school Psychologist and assisting the school system in a public research project during undergrad.

A few of the programs that I have looked into and am considering are: Auburn University (Clinical or Counseling Psychology), Seton Hall (Counseling Psychology), Fairleigh Dickinson (Clinical Psychology), Eastern Carolina University (Clinical Psychology), and East Tennessee State (Clinical Psychology)

I am looking for honest feedback on how I stand currently and ways to help my application as the time to start applying gets closer.

You could have/should have applied yourself more, maybe you can't handle a Ph.D., blah blah blah…

Undergrad is (arguably) the hardest 4-5 years for people to achieve academically for a whole gamut of different reasons that probably need not be covered. You managed to make it out with a respectable GPA. Apply to Ph.D. programs and you will likely get an invite into the masters program, do some research, and I think that'd be your best option if you don't get in. Most of all, don't sneeze at your GPA and cherish that accomplishment… Don't let having to take another path to your goal destination discourage you!

Most PhD programs do not have a terminal masters. You will need to apply to both types of programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the GRE and am trying to decide what my next step should be for applying to Clinical Psych Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015. My scores were average at best and I need to decide where I should go from here.

I currently have a BA in Psych from May 2013. My GPA was 3.48. V-GRE is 154 and Q-GRE is 151. (scores are unofficial so I am still waiting on writing). I am currently working full time in a research lab since late Sept. and am presenting 2 posters at upcoming psychology conferences and have additional clinical and research experience from undergrad.

In terms of my application I am wondering what the next step I should take is. I am not sure where to go since I feel I am just below what some schools have listed as mean scores, but I feel I have a good backing of research experience.

Moved to WAMC.

Hey there...I am currently doing my Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - I am almost finished but have started thinking about wanting to become a psychologist...and do a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I would like to focus somewhere in the area of trauma and abuse. My passion is working with women who have been abused. I have about a year left, during which I will be doing my internship -- I have two sites, where I will be working in a church counseling office, and then for a secular organization that works with uninsured or underinsured women, often women who have been through trauma.

I have not taken the GRE yet, but I realize that is probably my next step. I anticipate doing fairly well on it...guess we shall see.
I am an amazing student...I currently have a 3.98 GPA with about 60 credits of graduate work.
Undergrad I had a 3.90 GPA, I majored in Intercultural Studies, but took a few psychology courses.
Oh, and there's a good chance I will be a Graduate Student Assistant for my last year in the counseling department.
I also have a very limited work history - after I graduated from undergrad, I spent the next 11 years as a stay at home mom before going for my Masters.

Though my problem is that the only research experience I have is my research papers for classes haha.
And I have also no publications.

The only way I can do my PhD is by finding a fully funded program...I know I can get incredible references from professors. I am also a really good writer, so writing essays/papers or whatever will be relatively easy for me.

Basically...I'm just kind of starting out on this idea...but I want to pursue it. I do love doing research (as I did for presentations and papers for my MA). I love learning.

I would love feedback/suggestions or anything you have to offer...thanks in advance.

I am a senior at a very good undergrad institution. How important is doing Honors thesis for clinical psychology phd program admissions?I have very good GPA,GRE scores, volunteer experience,clinical experience,poster presentation,leadership experience and 3 years of research experience.

Last edited:
1. This should be in the WAMC thread.

2. Yes your age will be a consideration, maybe not by the program, but it should be for you. I personally think a student should have more experience "in the real world" before going into a graduate program, as academia can be a bubble and it often can be a rough transition for students when they do their practica / internship / fellowship because they haven't been outside of the bubble. You may also run into problems with pts viewing you as "too young". Is it fair, probably not…but it is a consideration.

3. I highly recommend spending at least a year as a research assistant so you better understand what is needed to do research. Neither program will require a strong foundation in research, though the most successful students from those programs will have a strong foundation in both research and clinical arenas. Research training is an important foundation for every day practice, even though the majority of people don't continue to do research outside of their training years.

4. I believe the match rates for both programs are down, which is concerning. You should only attend a program that has a consistently high match rate because anything but APA-acred. will limit your employment options. (do a search and plenty of threads will pop up about this decision).

5. Debt. It should be a major consideration, as there are plenty of great programs that are out there that will only require a fraction of the debt you will get attending either of those programs. In the last couple of years there has been mention that NSU is funding (not sure how much?) their Ph.D. students, but I don't believe that extends to the Psy.D. students.

Last edited:
Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

This fall I will be applying to Florida Tech and NOVA's PsyD programs. Here is my dilemma. I will only be 20 years-old when I apply because I am graduating in the fall (1.5 years early). Will my age hurt me at all? I will have two years of research experience being in labs as a research assistant and second author on a poster (we might be presenting at SEPA in the fall). However, we are starting two more experiments in the fall (can I still put those on my CV as "in progress"?) They are clinical and I am first author on one, second on the other. I will also have my honor's thesis completed my the end of this semester. My undergrad GPA will be 3.6 when I graduate, and my psych will either be between 3.7-3.8. I have been studying for the GRE like crazy, but I'm expecting a low-to-average score on the math section. I have volunteered at a crisis line since January 2013 and have over 800 hours. Is this enough to make me "competitive" for these programs? I know they are expensive, but my fiance and I will be married soon and he said we can handle the debt (he will be making at least 200k in five years). Achieving my dream of being a clinical psychologist at age 26 > attending a PhD program for the "title" or prestige makes sense to me. However, if I don't get in, I will complete a master's experimental program and apply to both PhD and PsyD programs, but I'm not going to waste my effort applying this time around because I know I won't get in.

This fall I will be applying to Florida Tech and NOVA's PsyD programs. Here is my dilemma. I will only be 20 years-old when I apply because I am graduating in the fall (1.5 years early). Will my age hurt me at all? I will have two years of research experience being in labs as a research assistant and second author on a poster (we might be presenting at SEPA in the fall). However, we are starting two more experiments in the fall (can I still put those on my CV as "in progress"?) They are clinical and I am first author on one, second on the other. I will also have my honor's thesis completed my the end of this semester. My undergrad GPA will be 3.6 when I graduate, and my psych will either be between 3.7-3.8. I have been studying for the GRE like crazy, but I'm expecting a low-to-average score on the math section. I have volunteered at a crisis line since January 2013 and have over 800 hours. Is this enough to make me "competitive" for these programs? I know they are expensive, but my fiance and I will be married soon and he said we can handle the debt (he will be making at least 200k in five years). Achieving my dream of being a clinical psychologist at age 26 > attending a PhD program for the "title" or prestige makes sense to me. However, if I don't get in, I will complete a master's experimental program and apply to both PhD and PsyD programs, but I'm not going to waste my effort applying this time around because I know I won't get in.

To address the bolded point: I personally wouldn't consider it "wasting" applications if you chose to send some out this year. As T4C mentioned, debt is something that needs to be taken strongly into consideration, to the point that I would suggest to just about anyone that they delay attending grad school in order to increase their opportunity to receive funded training. And regardless of the discussion with the fiancee, for me personally, I wouldn't want to take on any debt that I wouldn't be able to manage independently. Can you pay off $200k in loans on a psychologist's salary? Yes, particularly if some of these loan repayment programs stick around. Will it be enjoyable? No, as you're looking at monthly payments of somewhere around $600-1000 on income-based repayment (perhaps a bit lower on the newer pay as you earn plan; or, if your fiancee's $200k salary is included, then you'll be paying ~$2k/month).

While the following may sound morbid, but its not meant to be. While its great that your future hubby may make 200k/year in 5 years, many things could happen between now and then. I am not a financial advisor, but I would anticipate that our finacial advisor would respond something like....

1. You are not yet married. You could end up not marrying this gentleman.
2. You could marry this gentleman and then get divorced soon after.
3. This man could become disabled from an accident and not be able to provide/generate said income.
4. This gentleman could die before said time. Risk of death before age 30 for the average American is slighly over 10%
5. Your home could burn down.
6. Risk of not completing his degree.
7. He could fail to get said job
8. Said job could let him go.
9. Said job may not actually pay 200k.
10. 2000k monthly loan payment is 1/5th of monthly income based on that salary after taxes. Nothing to sneeze at.

Do you see where we are going here?

Last edited:
Yes, anything could happen, but I would be able to pay it off by myself if something that tragic were to happen. He's 25, already has a bachelor's and two master's degrees. He has a good job as an engineer and is on a fixed payscale, so as long as he is breathing he will make that much. I know it's nothing to sneeze at, but come on. People on here say they get a master's and even have publications and 4.0s and STILL can't get into a funded program. If I get into an APA-accredited school with a promising match rate at 20 years-old, I'm going to grab it and run. I also don't have any debt from undergrad, so that helps.

I think that the consensus is more on the fact that you should never settle for a subpar training experience simply to "get in." Programs with poor match and pass rates generally have these rates for a reason. Yes, there may be a "diamond in the rough" student here or there in your class of 100, but by and large, they are below average students getting below average training. If your dream is to be a clinical psychologist, do it the right way, not the easy way.

Why is it that everytime someone on here says they want a Psyd, everyone analyzes their life, their finances, and tries to persuade them into getting a PhD. Honestly, the only good thing to me about a PhD is the fact that it's funded. But I don't want to be a doctor of PHILOSOPHY, I don't want a research degree. I want a psychology degree. I don't have the desire to spend 5-7 years obtaining a PhD and being a professor. All of my professors complain about their job and how they have to work at Publix to support their four kids. I'm not going to have kids until I have a promising career, and I want to work at a hospital doing assessments and private practice one day. I'm not doing it for the money, obviously, but the fact that I "may" be married to someone who can support us helps me be able to pursue my dreams.

A majority of PhDs go into clinical work, it is not a "research degree." You cannot be a good psychologist without having research foundation. People are telling you this upfront because it will make the rest of your career easier. Seriously, the places I have worked at (VA's and AMA's) will not even consider applications from certain schools that they perceive as diploma mills. They literally do not even get looked at. People are just trying to spare you a lifelong uphill battle and advocate for our field in general.

I think you have an in accurate perception/understanding of both degrees.

Why is it that everytime someone on here says they want a Psyd, everyone analyzes their life, their finances, and tries to persuade them into getting a PhD. Honestly, the only good thing to me about a PhD is the fact that it's funded. But I don't want to be a doctor of PHILOSOPHY, I don't want a research degree. I want a psychology degree. I don't have the desire to spend 5-7 years obtaining a PhD and being a professor. All of my professors complain about their job and how they have to work at Publix to support their four kids. I'm not going to have kids until I have a promising career, and I want to work at a hospital doing assessments and private practice one day. I'm not doing it for the money, obviously, but the fact that I "may" be married to someone who can support us helps me be able to pursue my dreams.

As others have said, it sounds like you might have an inaccurate perception of what a Ph.D. in clinical/counseling psychology actually entails (a perception that may have even been perpetuated by your professors/advisors). If you search the site, you'll see numerous threads discussing Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. In the end, it's not that folks are steered away from the Psy.D. degree specifically (in most instances), but that the recommendation is typically to find a funded program, the majority of which happen to offer the Ph.D. rather than the Psy.D.

In the end, the degrees were meant to be equivalent. Unfortunately, it's so happened that the majority of the questionable programs out there have latched on to the Psy.D. model, essentially bastardized it, and are thus in some respects succeeding in skewing folks' views of the degree as a whole.

To address your question about competitiveness: my stats were similar to yours and I managed to attend a funded program. I had a lower GPA (3.4; 4.0 psych), similar amounts of research experience (2 years in 2 labs with 0 posters/pubs), no crisis line work, and a mid-1300's GRE. If you can get your GRE score to be above average, I'd say send out 10-12 applications to funded programs that match your research and clinical interests and see what happens.

As others have said, it sounds like you might have an inaccurate perception of what a Ph.D. in clinical/counseling psychology actually entails (a perception that may have even been perpetuated by your professors/advisors). If you search the site, you'll see numerous threads discussing Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. In the end, it's not that folks are steered away from the Psy.D. degree specifically (in most instances), but that the recommendation is typically to find a funded program, the majority of which happen to offer the Ph.D. rather than the Psy.D.

In the end, the degrees were meant to be equivalent. Unfortunately, it's so happened that the majority of the questionable programs out there have latched on to the Psy.D. model, essentially bastardized it, and are thus in some respects succeeding in skewing folks' views of the degree as a whole.

To address your question about competitiveness: my stats were similar to yours and I managed to attend a funded program. I had a lower GPA (3.4; 4.0 psych), similar amounts of research experience (2 years in 2 labs with 0 posters/pubs), no crisis line work, and a mid-1300's GRE. If you can get your GRE score to be above average, I'd say send out 10-12 applications to funded programs that match your research and clinical interests and see what happens.
Thank you, this was really helpful!

I think that the consensus is more on the fact that you should never settle for a subpar training experience simply to "get in." Programs with poor match and pass rates generally have these rates for a reason. Yes, there may be a "diamond in the rough" student here or there in your class of 100, but by and large, they are below average students getting below average training. If your dream is to be a clinical psychologist, do it the right way, not the easy way.
FIT and NOVA have good match rates, though. I wouldn't go to a school that gave below average training.

I know folks who've graduated from both FIT and NOVA. They're quite competent to be sure, although they do also all have very large amounts of debt (that they frequently bemoan), and they typically had to go above and beyond to get the experiences necessary to make them competitive. I've reviewed internship and postdoc applications from folks at both programs who didn't go above and beyond, and will just say that I was less than impressed. Having good match rates is of course a necessity, though, and it's good you've looked into that.

FIT and NOVA have good match rates, though. I wouldn't go to a school that gave below average training.

FIT is adequate at high 70's. NOVA PsyD is low 70's and trending downward. I personally advise students to stay away from anything sub 80% at a minimum. Their EPPP pass rates are far below what I would recommend.

The debt is no joke once you factor in living expenses, origination fees (thank you Sallie Mae!), compounded interest, taxes, etc. As for income…even if $200k/yr for the household is set, that gets cut down quickly once you try and play catchup for 6 yrs of less/no investment in a 401k, Uncle Sam takes his obnoxiously large 28%-33% cut, you pay the mortgage, etc. "Saving" even $50k/yr to invest and pay down debt is incredibly hard to do.

I'm not trying to be a downer, though I am a realist. I ran the numbers for myself, and 6 figures doesn't go nearly as far as it used to in today's world.

Just to clarify, since I found those statements so off the wall:

1. The term "philosophy" in the academic title "Doctor or Philosophy" does not refer to the academic field of philosophy. The term traces its roots back thousands of years when science was primarily practiced by philosophers of the day (e.g., St. Thomas Aquinas). Philo is Latin for "love of wisdom." In the scientists-practitioner model, clinical training is viewed as application of an experimental and pseudoexperiemental science, thus being a philosophy scholar is viewed as an essential element for optimal application/practice.

2. The "Doctor of Psychology" degree is most certainly NOT a doctorate in "psychology." In fact, the primary criticism of that model is that there is not enough psychology (meaning the broad study of human behavior using the scientific method) in the Psy.D. Rather, a "cart before the horse" mentality has emerged (in many of those programs, anyway) that teaches the application of psychology without teaching much/enough actual psychology to be able to properly understand it. I witnessed this when I had to spend an entire class teaching operant learning schedules and basic rat running with 3rd year PsyD students when i was teaching cognitive behavioral psychotherapy.

Last edited:
Here we go.... So I just graduated and here are the stats I have. Less than stellar GRE scores but I don't know if I can go through that again (spent all summer last year studying).

Education: BA, Psychology (minor in sociology) with Honors from a well respected big ten school
Scores:
GPA: 3.94 overall, 4.0 Psychology
GRE: 158 V (78th percentile); 154 Q (57th percentile); 5.0 writing (93rd percentile)

Research Experience:
  • Honors Thesis including a defense and poster presentation
  • 3.5 years working as an RA
    -1 year (3 summers) working in a molecular genetics lab
    -2 years working in a development lab
    -1 semester working in a social cognition lab
Publications:
  • I am 5th and 6th author on 3 publications published in a top tier journal (impact factor 14.98)
Presentations:
  • Honors thesis poster presentation event
Other Experience:
1 year: Helped with an autism camp
1 year: crisis problem response team on campus
1 year: Mental health awareness group on campus
LORs:
2 Very good letters from tenured professors who are very respected in their field. 1 possible one from a professor I had who i know on a personal basis.

I was wondering what you guys thought. I am taking a year off to work another year in a research lab. Not sure what lab yet, but still another year of experience. Depending on what lab I pick, I could have more 5th authorship on giant publications or perhaps try and do my own. I am not sure what type of programs I am going to apply to, but I am thinking of development or social psychology. Let me know how my stats look!!!! thanks

Here we go.... So I just graduated and here are the stats I have. Less than stellar GRE scores but I don't know if I can go through that again (spent all summer last year studying).

Education: BA, Psychology (minor in sociology) with Honors from a well respected big ten school
Scores:
GPA:
3.94 overall, 4.0 Psychology
GRE: 158 V (78th percentile); 154 Q (57th percentile); 5.0 writing (93rd percentile)

Research Experience:
Publications:
  • I am 5th and 6th author on 3 publications published in a top tier journal (impact factor 14.98)
Presentations:
Other Experience:
LORs:
2 Very good letters from tenured professors who are very respected in their field. 1 possible one from a professor I had who i know on a personal basis.

I was wondering what you guys thought. I am taking a year off to work another year in a research lab. Not sure what lab yet, but still another year of experience. Depending on what lab I pick, I could have more 5th authorship on giant publications or perhaps try and do my own. I am not sure what type of programs I am going to apply to, but I am thinking of development or social psychology. Let me know how my stats look!!!! thanks

While the GRE, as you've said, isn't knock-your-socks-off stellar, the combination of GPA, numerous years' worth of research experiences, and multiple high-IF pubs (being a lower-ranked author certainly isn't unexpected at the undergrad level) should raise plenty of highbrows I would imagine. I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't net at least a few interviews, particularly if you apply to 10-15 programs that match your interests well.

Hi, I am a senior student major in Psych and Stat and I plan to apply for a clinical or social Psych PhD program in 2015.

My GPA is 3.69, not very high, and a very low GRE: V147, Q 164, W 3 ( I am trying to improve my GRE score a little bit, but it is very hard to say)
Two years RA in two different psych labs:
1 year in a social family lab
1 year in a violence and aggression lab
Two months full time internship in mental hospital
Two good recommendations letters

I have no publications, no presentation.
I wonder if I have chance to get in a clinical program? And if so, what kind of programs I can try. If not, what kind of social psych program I have chance to get in?

Hi, I am a senior student major in Psych and Stat and I plan to apply for a clinical or social Psych PhD program in 2015.

My GPA is 3.69, not very high, and a very low GRE: V147, Q 164, W 3 ( I am trying to improve my GRE score a little bit, but it is very hard to say)
Two years RA in two different psych labs:
1 year in a social family lab
1 year in a violence and aggression lab
Two months full time internship in mental hospital
Two good recommendations letters

I have no publications, no presentation.
I wonder if I have chance to get in a clinical program? And if so, what kind of programs I can try. If not, what kind of social psych program I have chance to get in?

Do you want to be a clinical psychologist or a social psychologist? One has to see patients have substantial clinical training (at least in grad school), the other doesn't. Its a big difference.

Do you want to be a clinical psychologist or a social psychologist? One has to see patients have substantial clinical training (at least in grad school), the other doesn't. Its a big difference.

This was my first thought/question as well. What are your ultimate career goals and research interests? I believe social psych programs are a bit less competitive than clinical psych, but both areas will be tough if your fit with the programs is poor.

Thanks!My undergrad research is mostly in social psychology (3 years and I am a rising senior) but I have extensive clinical experience. I have lot of interest in certain clinical psy topics for which I may not have exact or even closely related undergrad research experience. Do I have a good chance in clinical Phd programs?

Thanks!My undergrad research is mostly in social psychology (3 years and I am a rising senior) but I have extensive clinical experience. I have lot of interest in certain clinical psy topics for which I may not have exact or even closely related undergrad research experience. Do I have a good chance in clinical Phd programs?
Moved to WAMC

Scores:
GPA:
3.94 overall, 4.0 Psychology

Research Experience:
Publications:
Presentations:
Other Experience:
LORs:

I think you'll be extremely competitive--your publications and experiences should definitely outweigh our GRE. As an aside, I'm assuming your publications are in a medical journal? Nothing wrong with that, of course--I just don't know of any psychology journals that have IFs that high.

Thank you for your reply.
Actually, my goal is to be a clinical psychologist. I would love to meet patients and learn how to give the treatment. But I know clinical psych program is very very difficult to get in, especially when I have a very low GRE and a relative low GPA. So I wonder whether I have chance for the clinical program. And social psych is my secondary interesting area. If it is impossible for me to get in a clinical program, I will consider to apply social psych and I also very interested in devoting myself in research.

This was my first thought/question as well. What are your ultimate career goals and research interests? I believe social psych programs are a bit less competitive than clinical psych, but both areas will be tough if your fit with the programs is poor.
Thanks so much for your reply.
I do want to be a clinical psychologist in the future and willing to meet and communicate with patient. But I know that clinical program is very competitive and I don't have a very competitive condition, so I wonder if I have chance to get in a clinical program. And social psych is my secondary interesting area, I would love to spend my future in social psych research also. So if I have little chance in clinical, I will consider about social psych program.

My ultimate goal is to get into a PhD in Clinical Psychology program and eventually become a clinical psychology. I have considered PsyD, but I am also interested in doing research. I have narrowed down my interest to eating disorder, and I'm figuring out a back-up plan in case I don't get into a PhD program.

I'm currently a junior, estimated graduation fall 2015, getting my BA in psychology with a minor in English and Filipino. My current cumulative GPA is 3.5 although I'm estimating I get that to at least 3.7/3.8 by the time I graduate. My current psy GPA is very low at 2.7 but I still have a lot of psy classes to take and I'm estimating I can get that to at least 3.3 by graduation. I will also have 1 to 1 1/2 year experience of being an undergrad RA with some experience especially in an eating disorder research study. I still have to take the GRE, and I am aware of what I have to get to be competitive for admission.

Applying to a PhD program is my top decision but I'm considering other options if I don't get in. I am unsure if I should take the route of getting an MA/MS in general psychology/clinical psychology or if I take the route of applying for a full-time RA position. Since only about 8 credits of MA classes can be transferred to PhD programs, it's not really worth it to pay & spend 2-3 years in a MA program when only that little will be transferred, and since my grades in my undergrad psy classes aren't that bad (currently 1 C & majority B/B+ and an A and hopefully more A's to come)

My biggest concern is my research experience since it will only be a year worth, I know that MA will provide me with that but a RA position will do that as well. The MA/MS will take 2 years (with tuition cost and will take longer) while the RA will allow me to apply to a PhD program again after a year, with another year's worth of research experience. I don't know which route to take that will be more beneficial for a PhD program.

Last edited:
My ultimate goal is to get into a PhD in Clinical Psychology program and eventually become a clinical psychology. I have considered PsyD, but I am also interested in doing research. I have narrowed down my interest to eating disorder, and I'm figuring out a back-up plan in case I don't get into a PhD program.

I'm currently a junior, estimated graduation fall 2015, getting my BA in psychology with a minor in English and Filipino. My current cumulative GPA is 3.5 although I'm estimating I get that to at least 3.7/3.8 by the time I graduate. My current psy GPA is very low at 2.7 but I still have a lot of psy classes to take and I'm estimating I can get that to at least 3.3 by graduation. I will also have 1 to 1 1/2 year experience of being an undergrad RA with some experience especially in an eating disorder research study. I still have to take the GRE, and I am aware of what I have to get to be competitive for admission.

Applying to a PhD program is my top decision but I'm considering other options if I don't get in. I am unsure if I should take the route of getting an MA/MS in general psychology/clinical psychology or if I take the route of applying for a full-time RA position. Since only about 8 credits of MA classes can be transferred to PhD programs, it's not really worth it to pay & spend 2-3 years in a MA program when only that little will be transferred, and since my grades in my undergrad psy classes aren't that bad (currently 1 C & majority B/B+ and an A and hopefully more A's to come)

My biggest concern is my research experience since it will only be a year worth, I know that MA will provide me with that but a RA position will do that as well. The MA/MS will take 2 years (with tuition cost and will take longer) while the RA will allow me to apply to a PhD program again after a year, with another year's worth of research experience. I don't know which route to take that will be more beneficial for a PhD program.

Mod Note: Went ahead and merged this with the WAMC thread.

As for your situation, it's a bit tricky in that your GPA is in what I would consider to be the "gray area" with respect to whether or not a masters would be worthwhile. The overall GPA, particularly if it gets to 3.7 or 3.8, is fine; however, even a 3.3 psych GPA may raise some eyebrows, especially as many folks tend to view psych undergrad classes as less-than-rigorous. Mind you, I'm not saying that's the case for you/your university, but it's nearly universally true that grad psych classes are going to be more difficult than undergrad courses, so POIs might have concerns about your ability to handle the work. And with good reason--of the folks I know who were dismissed from my clinical psych program, the vast majority of the time it was due to failing classes.

Still, if you do well on the GRE, that'll help. And if you take and do well on the psych GRE, that'll help even more. Given the cost component, I'd lean more toward the RA spot than the masters, but that's assuming you can significantly raise that psych GPA between now and when you apply. And of course also assuming that you have some good leads on at least a few different RA positions (or a solid lead/definite offer on one or two positions). If not, then a masters would probably be the best bet.

Last edited:
Mod Note: Went ahead and merged this with the WAMC thread.

As for your situation, it's a bit tricky in that your GPA is in what I would consider to be the "gray area" with respect to whether or not a masters would be worthwhile. The overall GPA, particularly if it gets to 3.7 or 3.8, is fine; however, even a 3.3 psych GPA may raise some eyebrows, especially as many folks tend to view psych undergrad classes as less-than-rigorous. Mind you, I'm not saying that's the case for you/your university, but it's nearly universally true that grad psych classes are going to be more difficult than undergrad courses, so POIs might have concerns about your ability to handle the work. And with good reason--of the folks I know who were dismissed from my clinical psych program, the vast majority of the time it was due to failing classes.

Still, if you do well on the GRE, that'll help. And if you take and do well on the psych GRE, that'll help even more. Given the cost component, I'd lean more toward the RA spot than the masters, but that's assuming you can significantly raise that psych GPA between now and when you apply. And of course also assuming that you have some good leads on at least a few different RA positions (or a solid lead/definite offer on one or two positions). If not, then a masters would probably be the best bet.

If I went with the masters route, what exactly will that do for me? It will give me the research assistant experience as well as balancing out my weak psy undergraduate gap and show that I am able to take masters level course work? In my case, would my reason for taking masters would ultimately be to improve my psy GPA and show I can handle rigorous psy classes?

I've heard that some PhD programs don't accept you, or consider you less, if you have a masters degree, is this true?

If I went with the masters route, what exactly will that do for me? It will give me the research assistant experience as well as balancing out my weak psy undergraduate gap and show that I am able to take masters level course work? In my case, would my reason for taking masters would ultimately be to improve my psy GPA and show I can handle rigorous psy classes?

I've heard that some PhD programs don't accept you, or consider you less, if you have a masters degree, is this true?

I guess this is somewhat true. I know of programs where they have not admitted terminal masters students, and other where I've seen terminal masters students admitted on a yearly basis.