This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweatytshirt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New user here. I plan on applying next cycle. What do you think my chances are of getting in on my first try with these stats?
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.69 and 3.56
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 504 (123 C/P; 128 CARS; 124 B/B; 129 P/S)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Washington state
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Black
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 30 hours in a surgery department. 80 hours in an emergency department.
  6. Research experience and productivity: I just started doing research this semester, so I don't have too many hours, but I am creating and presenting a poster at a conference next semester.
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 10 hours in general surgery. 20 hours in emergency medicine. 30 hours in cardiology.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: I don't really have much non-clinical volunteering experience, but I did recently join an organization at my university called Men for Social Change, and I was recently voted in as a member of the board for my school's University Recreation program. Both of these positions are non-paid.
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): I regularly play piano, hike, bowl, tennis etc. I was also a member of my school's Hawaii Club for several months. I had a job in food service for a couple years. I work in administration at a local hospital (have been working there for about a year and a half now). I have a medical specialty in the army reserves (been in for about 4 and a half years now), and I have done some missions that would have counted as 400+ hours of clinical volunteering and community service if I hadn't gotten paid for them. I work in a supervisor position for my school's University Recreation program. I also just accepted a paid position on the Student Employee Advisory Committee for the University Recreation job.
  10. Relevant honors or awards: President's Honor Roll for the last 6 semesters. That's about it.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: My school list for the 2018 cycle is going to be - Stanford, Cornell, Ohio State University, Georgetown, University of Miami, Tulane, University of Rochester, University of Louisville, Pennsylvania State University, Quinnipiac, University of Arizona, USF Morsani, Loyola, Wake Forest, Eastern Virginia, Chicago Medical School, Drexel, Oakland University, University of Washington, Washington State University, Albany Medical College, NY Medical College, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse
Does this list match my stats? Are there any schools I should add or remove? Is there anything I can improve on?

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford, Cornell, Ohio State, Rochester are far reaches with your MCAT and Louisville accepts very few non residents with your MCAT. You could add schools such as:
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 users
Solid list I think, but you could toss out some of those OOS state schools like louisville, EVU, OSU, USF. Pick mid tier privates you like and HBCUs + UW/WSU. Stanford and Cornell are probably a long shots but you can definitely afford a few of those.

Also, definitely get those clinical hours up over the next few months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford, Cornell, Ohio State, Rochester are far reaches with your MCAT and Louisville accepts very few non residents with your MCAT. You could add schools such as:
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
St. Louis
Creighton

I plan to take an mcat class and retake the mcat in the spring, and I’m hoping for a 509+. Also, I put Louisville on my list because I grew up in Kentucky and almost went there for my undergrad. Do you think that my past residence there (for most of my childhood/adolescence) would help me out, or does it not matter, since I don’t currently live there?

Solid list I think, but you could toss out some of those OOS state schools like louisville, EVU, OSU, USF. Pick mid tier privates you like and HBCUs + UW/WSU. Stanford and Cornell are probably a long shots but you can definitely afford a few of those.

Also, definitely get those clinical hours up over the next few months.

I’ll look into replacing EVU and USF, but OSU is kind of a throwaway shot for me. I have an old friend that goes to OSU and is also applying next cycle, so I wanted to have at least a couple schools in common with her. For Louisville, like I told Faha, I grew up in Kentucky so I figured that may give me some kind of leeway with admissions. However, I did move to Tennessee and graduated from high school there. Do you think that would give me enough leeway to go with another Tennessee med school?

Lastly, I quit medical voluteering because I got a job in a hospital and I work with patients, nurses, and docs all the time now. Granted, I do register patients, but I spend a lot of time in the ED working directly with nurses and docs and observe what they do closely. And I have a lot of experience working with patients. Lots of stories as well lol. Also, I have experience working as a medic in the army reserves. I’ve done a couple humanitarian missions as a medic and gained a lot of experience that way as well. I just didn’t feel like I was really gaining anything by volunteering, that I wasn’t already gaining through my employment at the hospital and through the army.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to take an mcat class and retake the mcat in the spring, and I’m hoping for a 509+. Also, I put Louisville on my list because I grew up in Kentucky and almost went there for my undergrad. Do you think that my past residence there (for most of my childhood/adolescence) would help me out, or does it not matter, since I don’t currently live there?
Yes, past residence through high school does matter so include Louisville and U Kentucky.

Reactions: 1 users