want to be an oral surgeon, does it matter where i go to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colombiano

symmetry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to be an oral surgeon and was wondering if it really matters what school i end up attending. i just got accepted into UF and was wondering if i should go to the UPenn and Columbia interviews???

Members don't see this ad.

colombiano said:
i want to be an oral surgeon and was wondering if it really matters what school i end up attending. i just got accepted into UF and was wondering if i should go to the UPenn and Columbia interviews???

If you go to UF you should be fine. The issue with wanting to do OMS and actually getting in is pretty tenuous. You should go where you will get the best dental education and where you like best, and it will all fall into place. UF is a great dental school. If you get accepted there, you won't have to drive in the snow or pay outlandish housing prices. UPenn and Columbia are good schools, too, but If I was choosing for me I would go to UF. Of course I also know the OMS faculty at UF and have spent some time there so am somewhat biased.

colombiano said:
In a word....no. But I would probably go to the interviews anyway, just because you are fortunate to have choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info. how hard is it to get into the program though. i mean i was always at the top of my class as an undergrad. does this mean anything or is it a whole new ball game in dental.

what do you think :confused:

colombiano said:
thanks for the info. how hard is it to get into the program though. i mean i was always at the top of my class as an undergrad. does this mean anything or is it a whole new ball game in dental.

what do you think :confused:
Don't take this the wrong way, but nothing you did or were in undergrad is going to influence anything, or even matter really, in dental school worth squat. Everybody did just as well as you, and everybody knows they're going to match ortho, OMS, and perio--until first semester grades come out.

For now, just rest up and enjoy the last semester of college. In dental school, do the best you can and then let the chips fall where they may.

Squatola. The best undergrad people in my class were the worst in the standings in the end. I was the last person to get into my class and finished 2. Undergrad also doesn't mean anything when you are trying to specialize, either.

aphistis said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but nothing you did or were in undergrad is going to influence anything, or even matter really, in dental school worth squat. Everybody did just as well as you, and everybody knows they're going to match ortho, OMS, and perio--until first semester grades come out.

For now, just rest up and enjoy the last semester of college. In dental school, do the best you can and then let the chips fall where they may.

Do you have this on auto-reply or something ;) You couldn't pay me enough to go into omfs. After one semester, the thought of another four years of school makes me sick...

It can go the other way as well. Sometimes the best in undergrad also do very well in dental school. Just work your butt off and put in the extra time for the crap classes that other people don't study for.