Want to start military interest group at school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverine1212

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year Navy HPSP student at Robert Wood Johnson Med School (NJ). At our school we have about 3-5 hpsp students per class...but there are many students that are just interested in learning more about military medicine. I want to start up an interest group, but wanted some suggestions as to what type of activities military interest groups at other med schools do?

Also, I was considering getting speakers about different aspects about military med...does anyone know any good Military docs in the NJ/NY area who would be interested in this?

Thanks in advance,
wolverine1212

Members don't see this ad.

I am the Army OIC and President of my medical school's Military Medical Student Association (MMSA), a national organization. We do an annual 9/11 ceremony in dress uniform and a huge commissioning dinner in May for the meidcal HPSP graduates when they go up in rank (ie. this year our keynote speaker is a retired O8 admiral physician who ran many navy medical programs)...it is driving me crazy becasue it is like planning a wedding along side my assistant dean to the tune of $10,000, but it is a great event. We have an enlisted joint force color guard, and all graduates, 2nd and 3rd year military students who attend are in dress uniform including the admiral. besides that we do a school BBQ, a push up chalenge each semester, have guest military physician guest speakers, etc. Also, have the fourth years who matched already come back and speak to the group about military rotations and matching. I am lucky since we have about 13 military here per year/class, and our new dean is a retired military doc, so you can see the amount of military interest and the events we do are due to our pride and resources. Hope this gives you some idea. good luck.

thanks so much military DO...just curious do you go to school in the NJ/NY area, more ppl in the area i know the better. :)