Was planning on going DO, but I just found out I got a 521 MCAT, could I do MD with my 3.0 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apply to your state schools.
Many of them are more forgiving of a weak start (with some exceptions...).

You don't think there are probably other schools that would be forgiving of the grades for that MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to your state schools.
Many of them are more forgiving of a weak start (with some exceptions...).
My state is California, so luckily it has a good number of med schools. Will it hurt my chances too much to submit my primary in late September?

My state is California, so luckily it has a good number of med schools. Will it hurt my chances too much to submit my primary in late September?
CA is the about the hardest state to be an applicant from.
Of 6520 CA applicants, only 910 matriculated IS. 1,528 had to leave.
CN"U" might consider you, but you deserve better.

Reactions: 1 user
It's very hard to predict which ones...

What would be the best approach in cases like these? Should one take a shotgun approach and hope one school says yes?

What would be the best approach in cases like these? Should one take a shotgun approach and hope one school says yes?
Pretty much.
Aim for OOS private schools with a high median MCAT and hope one of them bites.

Reactions: 1 users
Great...

All in all, is it worth it to apply? I already have all my DO secondaries in.

Isn't it really late at this point? I would've told you to apply next cycle. But if you already have DO secondaries in it means you'll likely get into one of them. So as long as you'd be happy to attend one of the DO schools if you get in I think you have nothing to lose by sending an application. check with @gyngyn

If you are content with the DO route after this score then there's no point not applying to some MD schools if finances allow even if it's rather late to submit a primary. Nothing to lose.
IF with this score now you are having real second thoughts about going the DO route and thinking about MD as your end goal now dont apply MD or DO this cycle.
Dont apply to a DO school you wouldnt be content attending(if what would make you content is giving yourself a real shot at MD dont apply to any DO's then).
If MD is now truly your end goal now, dont apply this cycle with a late uneven app. Look into enhancing your academics first(ie SMP or at least some kind of postbac).

With such a high MCAT, as well as what I can extrapolate as an excellent 2 years of classes GPA-wise, I think it's worth it to put your hat in the ring for MD schools. Search the forum for schools that reward reinvention.