WATERLOO Acceptance Information up on Quest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been so long..
Probably over..

They should at least tell us if we are denied, so we can make plans.

Members don't see this ad.

An OD program is not worth the value, be it in Canada or the US when compared to other professions. You can say the bull **** you want but in the end, it comes down to how much money you have to feed your family, to feed your parents, to support your jobless brother, to finance your child's education AND to sustain your home.

All of these things will cost alot more in the future, and I will bet you that an OD will NOT be able to meet these needs. I applied to the optometry program reluctantly as a plan c, NOT as my primary plan.

I would never waste 4 years of my life for a pathetic OD degree. I would rather become a doctor, a profession that is much more respectable, and worthwhile. Besides, we're always going to need doctors in the future.

An OD might be replaced by a refractor.

An OD program is not worth the value, be it in Canada or the US when compared to other professions. You can say the bull **** you want but in the end, it comes down to how much money you have to feed your family, to feed your parents, to support your jobless brother, to finance your child's education AND to sustain your home.

All of these things will cost alot more in the future, and I will bet you that an OD will NOT be able to meet these needs. I applied to the optometry program reluctantly as a plan c, NOT as my primary plan.

I would never waste 4 years of my life for a pathetic OD degree. I would rather become a doctor, a profession that is much more respectable, and worthwhile. Besides, we're always going to need doctors in the future.

You should consider Mcdonalds, call it plan D. I hear they are hiring. But then again you might get replaced by an autoburgerflipper...

Either way I see you being miserable if you applied to the opt program and call it pathetic. Good luck chap.

Members don't see this ad :)
jymezg, you and your dad can flip burgers. Unlike alot of blind idiots , I'm not just going to naively apply to any program, thinking there's money when they graduate.

The world's changed; get out of your bubble and start using your head. Based on your comments, I'm thinking you're nothing more than a dumb fat ass eating burgers all day.

Get a life.

Hey guys,

I was just admitted today, my status says admit on the quest but I don't think I want to get into optometry. I'll likely call Marie and tell her to give my seat to one of you guys.

Take care

Thanks Believer128... I think you are doing us all a favor by giving up your seat. Not only will you now be able to pursue a career that will hopefully end up bringing you ulimited happiness and success, but I will have one less disrespectful, bitter, self-righteous prick to worry about sitting beside in my classes at Waterloo next year. You are free to express your opinions about the career of optometry, but I feel that it was tactless to do so in a thread in which students are sharing the excitement about finally getting into a program that they've worked so hard to achieve. I for one can't wait until September, and look forward to one day becoming an optometrist. Anyone with me?

Anyone with me? I am with you...
Believer 128 I think it is completely disrespectful to invade a thread to:
-state you are an applicant who has not yet been admitted
-rant about how terrible optometry is because you have not been admitted
-state that you are now admitted but probably won't accept your seat.

All you have done is create discord and confusion on this thread for what purpose...entertainment??? PATHETIC

Believer128 you are not believable...I call troll.
Go play somewhere else...those who have recently been accepted to UW and those who are still waiting to hear do not want this thread closed because you are bored.

All I'm saying is, as the cliche goes, if its too good to be true, it probably is. In the case of optometry, this exactly the case.

Good luck with your "careers" and don't say you weren't warned. I just hate seeing people get ripped off, particularly with their lives! Take it easy.

All I'm saying is, as the cliche goes, if its too good to be true, it probably is. In the case of optometry, this exactly the case.

Good luck with your "careers" and don't say you weren't warned. I just hate seeing people get ripped off, particularly with their lives! Take it easy.

LOL
Thats the most random statement, how is optometry even close to be considered too good to be true. Unless your really naive, i'm sure people are well aware of its many downfalls.

Hey guys,

This is going to sound crazy, but I just received an admissions letter from an optometry school in California; they're paying my full tuition!!!

It's insane, apparently my OAT and GPA are in the top 5% in their class. All I have to pay are a couple of fees, a few hundred dollars in "international fees" and I'm set.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about. UW is trying to lure top-achieving students, suck their money out, and spit them back out after 4 years. Need I remind you that they are adding new buildings on their campus, and whose money are they using to that? Yours.

My name is not believer128 if UW doesn't raise their tution rate after you guys get in this year. I'm guesing a $6000-$10000 tution hike will likely take place, which will take you to around $20000/yr for 4 years! Who else will pay for their new buildings.

Does anyone know how one can check if they've made it on the waitlist for opto? (If there isn't anyone?).

Finally, I just want to add this post for posterity in case anyone applying for UW in 2010 is searching these forums about admissions:

-GPA Cut off: Possibly 3.6ish
-OAT cut off: Not sure, but i'm guessing around AA360/TS370.
- Key thing they're looking for: OPTOMETRY EXPERIENCE. If someone is intending on applying next year, make sure you have a decent amount of optometry experience, and a very good reference from the optometrist you are shadowing!
- Possible Preference for 4th years or masters students.

I have a 3.7+ (nearly 3.8) with OAT of 370, and got denied, without any opto experience.

Last edited:

Dood...there isn't a medical school on this planet that would accept someone with your attitude and maturity level. And if you do make it into optometry school, rest assured that some admissions personnel made a mistake when screening out psychopaths.

Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
mann believer128 boy you just aren't too bright. Amazingggg how u can get those kinda marks and oat scores but still not have a clue....

Hey everyone! I just found out I'm in :) Where are you all doing your undergrads?

ps: Believer128, stop being a jack***** .. if you think optometry is a waste of time, then stop wasting our time and get off of here.

Man, who knew SDN could be so freaking hilarious...? Sorry, not about your delayed torture with your UW statuses, but Prince Douchebaggary is quite entertaining.

Hey guys,

This is going to sound crazy, but I just received an admissions letter from an optometry school in California; they're paying my full tuition!!!

It's insane, apparently my OAT and GPA are in the top 5% in their class. All I have to pay are a couple of fees, a few hundred dollars in "international fees" and I'm set.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about. UW is trying to lure top-achieving students, suck their money out, and spit them back out after 4 years. Need I remind you that they are adding new buildings on their campus, and whose money are they using to that? Yours.

My name is not believer128 if UW doesn't raise their tution rate after you guys get in this year. I'm guesing a $6000-$10000 tution hike will likely take place, which will take you to around $20000/yr for 4 years! Who else will pay for their new buildings.

Saveyourself, is that you?

I'm getting the vibe that the selection process is over. :(. Does anyone know if Waterloo actually does acceptances in waves? How did it work last year?

I think last year we got accepted in waves too...not too sure though. I remember my acceptance was "early acceptance" but I think everyone found out maybe within a few weeks of each other.....

Congratulations to everyone that got into waterloo!

Hey guys! I just got an e-mail about my acceptance! So I think they've started that as well!!!
SOOOOOO excited!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what are the stats of the guys who got into UW this year? I didn't do too much OD shadowing, but somehow, I got through!
Let me know if you guys did alot of OD volunteering, I think UW might be changing its policies.

GPA: 3.7

OAT AA: 380

OD volunteer hours: 25 hours

If you accept the admission offer, do you know if you are able to remove yourself from the program later (before September of course)? I am waiting to hear back from a medical school as well and I don't hear from them until late May and I want to be able to consider both options if I do get into med school.

Has anyone ever heard of it being possible to remove yourself from the program...I figured it should be but now I think I should make sure before accepting the admission offer.

Does anyone know if Waterloo offers any sort of entrance scholarships? Thanks!

Hey Raj and migz,

I talked to marie about both your questions, and what she told me wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear.

UW optometry offers little, if any, scholarship funding. They will only consider very financially desperate students (i.e. combined parents incomes are below $20000). And even then, they don't give you as much bursary assistance or scholarship funds (i.e. around $1000), unlike private schools in the States (like the one I got accepted into).

Also, to indicate that you are willing to enroll in UW, you have to make a deposit (about $500) which is not returnable. All of this info should be on your paper admission offer, but if its not, I would recommend calling Marie just to make sure.

So, Raj, you might have to make a decision right now as to which field you want to get into. Which medical school did you apply to? If its in Ontario, and your MCAT score is above 30, as well as a high GPA (greater than 3.7), then I would consider dumping UW and becoming a doctor. It's a way better profession to pursue!!!

Optometry blows!!! Medicine is the future.

I too was offered a scholarship from a school in the states... definitely not a full ride, but what I initially considered a large scholarship. However, considering the tuition difference between american optometry schools and Waterloo, that scholarship meant squat. I consider myself fortunate to be going to Waterloo and paying 1/3 of the tuition I would be paying in the States.

Hey there migz,

Where'd you apply in the states? That's really odd, I only have to pay $4000; my scholarship amounts to about $17000, and they give you subsidized housing on campus.

The best part though, is I get to study in sunyside California, a place full of hot chicks. It's going to be crazy if I decide to go there, but I'm not sure, since I really want to ditch optometry and get into medicine.

Take it easy.

Is your scholarship renewable over the four years? If not, I don't see how that is a better deal than me paying $10,200 tuition per year at Waterloo. While I don't care much for the hot chicks (being one myself, of course), I must admit the weather in California would be a major bonus compared to the nice snowy winters I'll be expecting in Waterloo!

Hi Believer128,

I'm interested in which school you got into. I know some professors who teach at Waterloo's optometry faculty and apparently UW is planning to raise the tuition to about $20000/yr next year, to help offset the cost of construction of their new clinics and library.

Is your scholarship just a one-time sum amount or is it renewable upto 4 years? I've heard that alot of students have gotten renewable scholarships based on a 370-400 OAT score. Apparently, most applicants in the states usually score in the low 340-360 range.

Also, for those who did get accepted into UW optometry, did you complete all of your pre-requiresite courses? I have like 5 courses left to complete, but I'm not sure if I should take them over the summer or leave them until next year.

Thanks!

What a peculiar person.

If you accept the admission offer, do you know if you are able to remove yourself from the program later (before September of course)? I am waiting to hear back from a medical school as well and I don't hear from them until late May and I want to be able to consider both options if I do get into med school.

Has anyone ever heard of it being possible to remove yourself from the program...I figured it should be but now I think I should make sure before accepting the admission offer.

well someone in our class did get offered a spot a few days before class started....so someone did give up there spot very last minute.....

-GPA Cut off: Possibly 3.6ish
-OAT cut off: Not sure, but i'm guessing around AA360/TS370.
- Key thing they're looking for: OPTOMETRY EXPERIENCE. If someone is intending on applying next year, make sure you have a decent amount of optometry experience, and a very good reference from the optometrist you are shadowing!
- Possible Preference for 4th years or masters students.

The first two points are untrue. But a high average definitely helps. Also, if you're extremely book smart but struggle in social situations, this will come out in your interview.

Don't think you need to have the best stats to get it. You need to be a hard worker with good people skills. The skills any good optometrist requires.

Yeah, but if you do decide to let go of your seat at UW just before September, I'm pretty sure you'll have to forgo your $1000 non-returnable deposit, which I think needs to be made 15 days after your admission letter, apparently that's what my girlfriend told me at least.

Anyways, I'm planning to apply this year as well, but I haven't finished a bunch of the pre-requsite courses. Do you need to have them completed before you apply? For guys who got admitted, did you have all the damn pre-reqs completed before or after you received the admissions offer?

Thanks

Hey Raj and migz,

I talked to marie about both your questions, and what she told me wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear.

UW optometry offers little, if any, scholarship funding. They will only consider very financially desperate students (i.e. combined parents incomes are below $20000). And even then, they don't give you as much bursary assistance or scholarship funds (i.e. around $1000), unlike private schools in the States (like the one I got accepted into).

Also, to indicate that you are willing to enroll in UW, you have to make a deposit (about $500) which is not returnable. All of this info should be on your paper admission offer, but if its not, I would recommend calling Marie just to make sure.

So, Raj, you might have to make a decision right now as to which field you want to get into. Which medical school did you apply to? If its in Ontario, and your MCAT score is above 30, as well as a high GPA (greater than 3.7), then I would consider dumping UW and becoming a doctor. It's a way better profession to pursue!!!

Optometry blows!!! Medicine is the future.

Thanks for your help! I've been trying to call Marie for a few days but she is usually in a meeting.

I'm not too worried about the nonrefundable deposit...it is a lot of money but it is worth it to have a safety net incase I don't get into med. I'm waiting to hear from UBC (I'm from BC) but it is a super competitive school to get into so I don't know how good my chances are there...

Anyways, thanks!

Just wanted to show you ******s the truth about optometry; I found this post from another forum that discusses the future of optometrists:

The AOA is greatly aware of our concerns. They have no way to influence private schools and are afraid they will get sued for anti-trust. They are worthless in the matter. The AOA president replied to me in a personal email after I voiced my concerns.

Here is the problem with too many ODs:
Lower income
Acceptance of ridiclously low fees to get patients in the door
Increase in low ball insurances
Massive increase in commercial optometry
Decreased fees means need to see more patients and spend less time with them.
Less qualified OD students means bad for everyone

A survey showed that the average OD sees less than 2 patients per hour, but would like to see more. A modern OD with an efficient office could see at least 4 per hour. So we already have 2x the ODs that we need.

Why else are ODs working at wally with low exam fees and excepting crazy low insurances?

ODs would rather stab each other in the back than possibly lose a $20 copay.

Just wanted to show you ******s the truth about optometry; I found this post from another forum that discusses the future of optometrists:

The AOA is greatly aware of our concerns. They have no way to influence private schools and are afraid they will get sued for anti-trust. They are worthless in the matter. The AOA president replied to me in a personal email after I voiced my concerns.

Here is the problem with too many ODs:
Lower income
Acceptance of ridiclously low fees to get patients in the door
Increase in low ball insurances
Massive increase in commercial optometry
Decreased fees means need to see more patients and spend less time with them.
Less qualified OD students means bad for everyone

A survey showed that the average OD sees less than 2 patients per hour, but would like to see more. A modern OD with an efficient office could see at least 4 per hour. So we already have 2x the ODs that we need.

Why else are ODs working at wally with low exam fees and excepting crazy low insurances?

ODs would rather stab each other in the back than possibly lose a $20 copay.

Haha, have you met Saveyourself yet? You guys really could be best friends.

Anyway, we are aware of the issues around Optometry, but thanks for your concern and the name calling

Admissions has been a bit of an issue in the past (ie focusing so much on marks). I think that has changed a bit over the past few years.

Space! Although, they are building an expansion which should be complete right when I'm leaving;)

Clinic! We get into clinic later than the US schools which has been a concern for several years. The curriculum has recently been changed, so I think eventually students will be seeing their first patients sooner.

Just a few off the top of my head....

pre_opt_sku... LONG TIME NO SEE!!! :D

How's third year at UW treating you?

Hey Raj and migz,

incorrect. UW undergrad bursaries can provide $6k per year. add that on top of student loans (12K per year), half of which is typically refunded in millennium bursaries, and you can graduate easily with under 30k debt, if you manage your money correctly, work in the summer, and even without parental input (trips and lavish expenses nonwithstanding). 10k increase in tuition? they'll just dole out more bursary money, and more student loans, and more millennium scholarships. it's all relative.

I wonder if i met you at interview day in november? Doesn't matter, you'll just be giving physicians a bad name now instead of optoms, and hopefully you'll do a better job educating yourself as a physician. I'd hate to see you render incorrect and misinformed opinions to your future patients.

oh and FYI, check out FYi; we're not as dead as you think we are...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I've decided to give up my seat in the class this year. After extensive research, and consultation with optometrists, opticians and some professors, it appears the salary for most optometrists will be alot lower in 5 years than it is today.

The reason? Automated refraction opticians. Check out what's happening in BC. They're taking away alot of revenue from optometrists, and sooner or later, this will spread to the other provinces.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I've decided to give up my seat in the class this year. After extensive research, and consultation with optometrists, opticians and some professors, it appears the salary for most optometrists will be alot lower in 5 years than it is today.

The reason? Automated refraction opticians. Check out what's happening in BC. They're taking away alot of revenue from optometrists, and sooner or later, this will spread to the other provinces.

*Picture removed due to inappropriate language*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone- I'm finishing up my first year at UW and just wanted to let you all know that don't despair, even if you get wait listed there's a chance you'll get in. Apparently in my class they exhausted the wait list... Don't know what the situation is this year. Also, if this year doesn't work out, there's always next year- some people apply a few times before getting in. Lastly, if you are accepted into the class of 2013, request to join the facebook page. See you in September! And about the "conditions"... basically if you pass your classes this semester you'll be fine...