Waterloo Acceptance ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catsomgcats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those that have been accepted into Waterloo this year, if you don't mind, could you please let us know what your GPA/OAT score is and what extra curricular activities you have done?

I'm currently just finishing my 2nd year in undergrad and I am going to try to apply to Waterloo for optometry since it is the only one in Canada and 3405983450928435 times less expensive than the states. I feel like my own stats are pretty competitive, however, I want to compare them with the newly accepted students instead of the average stats from 2009-2011.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll find a lot of our stats in the Waterloo 2015 thread on the first few pages

I think you'll find a lot of our stats in the Waterloo 2015 thread on the first few pages

Thanks, but I only found about a few... other than that though, of the ones that I did find, most of them had a TS = 400 on the OAT exam... how did you all study for the exam?
Also, how do you convert your percent average to a GPA of what Waterloo looks at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say I'm a good example but I did the questions while timing myself. I also downloaded a program that simulated the exam on your computer. I basically did a lot of questions until I felt comfortable with the timing and format. I never calculated gpa I just looked at it in % avg

OAT: 360TS/360AA
EC: Shadowed in a private group clinic for around 30 hours, commercial clinic for around 10 hours, work experience in various fields (teaching piano, waiter/server, retail, etc.), occasional volunteering, health club exec positions

As for studying, I used the big Kaplan OAT book and just studied it through all the way. I did maybe half a practice exam from a Kaplan book I found at the public library... Procrastinated too much and didn't have time left to finish it, don't be like me :dead:

Also, how do you convert your percent average to a GPA of what Waterloo looks at?
Try using the OMSAS grade conversion chart: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
aim for a gpa above 3.6,
use chads videos for your oat and do a lot of practice dats and oats you will be fine
try to get a variety of experience - community, sports, university and some research if possible
Other than that make sure you ace the interview.

I'll just throw my stats in here since OP asked

Quantitative Reasoning: 350
RC: 400
Biology: 340 (not sure what happened here since I'm a science major but who knows...)
Gen Chem: 330
Orgo: 400
Physics: 390
TS: 380
AA: 370
GPA: 85%
ECs: athletics, music, church, volunteering, some optometry shadowing, in general, these are things that I greatly enjoy and would continue doing even when I'm in optometry school

Also I would say try to avoid comparing to others since that usually makes you feel bad (ie. I felt terrible coming out of my interview when everyone seemed to think and/or say it went well). Everyone is unique in their own individual way. :)

Best of luck with your application, let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
To those that have been accepted into Waterloo this year, if you don't mind, could you please let us know what your GPA/OAT score is and what extra curricular activities you have done?

I'm currently just finishing my 2nd year in undergrad and I am going to try to apply to Waterloo for optometry since it is the only one in Canada and 3405983450928435 times less expensive than the states. I feel like my own stats are pretty competitive, however, I want to compare them with the newly accepted students instead of the average stats from 2009-2011.

Thank you :)

Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is covered on the Canadian OAT. I know it says Natural Sciences, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics and such. But would Microbiology and Biochemistry be covered on it ? Also since only one Organic chemistry (261) is needed, is that the only one on the exam?

PS: If you are from Canada, do you know if the OAT exams are available in the summer, or around which months? Thanks so much!!

No microbi & biochem is not covered on it. I'm not sure what school you go to and what Organic Chemistry 261 is but for me I only took one organic chemistry class and it was sufficient.

OAT exams are available year round, pretty often :)

Oh okay. I go to the University of Alberta in Canada. Are you from Canada? What exactly do you mean year around?

Oh okay. I go to the University of Alberta in Canada. Are you from Canada? What exactly do you mean year around?
You can write the OAT anytime of the year. They have dates to write it basically every week, so its not like you HAVE to write in the summer. Take a look at the schedule on prometric to see what upcoming dates are available near you.

I don't think you can see it unless you sign up with adequate information. I just wanted to know a little ahead of time before I actually write it.

I don't think you can see it unless you sign up with adequate information. I just wanted to know a little ahead of time before I actually write it.
Yes you can see it without signing up. On prometric, go to "locate a test centre" select OAT and your location, and then once you click a testing centre there is an "availability" button. Click that and a calendar with all the available dates for that location will show up.

Yes you can see it without signing up. On prometric, go to "locate a test centre" select OAT and your location, and then once you click a testing centre there is an "availability" button. Click that and a calendar with all the available dates for that location will show up.

Thank you so much!