Waterloo Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainbowss54354

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering whether you guys could help me out. I am going onto my final year of undergrad next year and really want to apply to optometry, it's always been what I wanted to do. But my gpa is lower than average - only about a 3.1 so far. I struggled a lot in my first year, which is what is dragging down my average considerably. I was wondering what you guys suggest - do you suggest I stay back a year for a chance to improve my gpa? (considering i have sufficient experience, etc). Also how does waterloo look at repeated courses? i know they take the average, but not sure how they view repeated courses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although I don't have answers to many of your questions, I will tell you this. Don't give up yet, getting a 4.0 gpa on your final year is tough, but extremely doable. It will bump up your GPA by a LOT, and even if not by a lot, it will show them that you've matured and learned in the final year, and you're capable of this level of education if you put effort. It is good to be prepared for plan B no doubt, but I just want to encourage you to put your best effort into plan A first.

One thing I am sure about is that Waterloo will know that you repeated the course, but whether they treat it as a good or a bad thing I wouldn't know. There's many perspectives to it I feel. For one, it can look bad because you simply didn't get a good mark the first time through. But it can also look good, in that you worked towards improving.

Last edited:
The GPA is a bit low... I am not sure what scale you're using but assuming UofT, then it is around a mid-70's average?

Perhaps you can do what byhc said and boost your GPA like mad in your final year and show off an increasing annual GPA trend but that would get you to a 3.33 at max... Deferring graduation may not be a good idea since your GPA is pretty much set in stone after 4 years. I think doing a M.Sc. might help your case out?

How are your OAT scores and EC/Volunteering/References? If you manage to nail the OAT and have decent ECs then it may help make up the deficit in GPA.

Hi everyone. My GPA is 3.595 how do you guys see my chance of getting in? (I did not take full load courses because I was working and right now i'm doing my masters)